Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pageau is extremely fast and excellent skater all-around. If Rossi had his speed I'd have no troubles selecting him 3rd.

With Rossi the issue isn't just a question of size. It's also speed. You have to have excellent speed to be an excellent contributor down the middle like Point, Briere, Tyler Johnson etc. You can be a bit slower and still be successful but you'll have to be a winger at that point.
Where did you get the impression Pageau was extremely fast. He was no burner.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Rossi's height matters little at the OHL level because he is pretty much already fully developed physically. He has tremendous lower body strength due to being a gym rat and lanky undeveloped OHLers have a hard time knocking him off the puck, even though he's very short.

When the players are men and are fully developed physically, he's going to have a harder time protecting and controlling the puck.

That's not to say he can't be successful because of his height at the NHL level, but he probably will have to adjust his game somewhat.
Ask Kevin Bahl how easy he is to knock off the puck in drills.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Pageau is extremely fast and excellent skater all-around. If Rossi had his speed I'd have no troubles selecting him 3rd.

With Rossi the issue isn't just a question of size. It's also speed. You have to have excellent speed to be an excellent contributor down the middle like Point, Briere, Tyler Johnson etc. You can be a bit slower and still be successful but you'll have to be a winger at that point.
So wait, you think that Pageau is an “extremely fast and excellent all-around skater” but don’t think that Rossi can skate? Have you watched either of them play?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Was Briere not a top 6 C when he scored 95 pts for the Sabres?
Brayden Point is listed at 5'10 165 .. I'm sure that 1 more inch and 15 less lbs make a world of difference
and on that 1 inch... it could be less than that.

Cliff Ronning! The sens seem to be building a large hardworking team, I would be shocked if they draft a little guy

Reactions: Cosmix

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I think dysdale is a bit underrated. Look how well he preformed in the WJ as an underager.

I would he happy with any combo or stutzle/byfield at 3 and raymond/dysdale at 5. And i do believe rossi will be a great nhler but would be a big mistake drafting him above these two

Reactions: Cosmix and DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I agree. His speed is definitely a step behind Pageau'a and that's where most of the concern lies with him. Height and a lack of speed are concerning, but man I do love his hockey sense!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Rossi is a fair bet to be a 20-40/45 guy, and that’s a very, very good player. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit a point a game season over his career.

Reactions: Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pageaus skating is much better than Rossi’s. Not even a question
That is not true at all. Both are similar top end, Pageau likely has a quicker 1st step but Rossi is stronger on his skates and doesn’t get pushed off much

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Karlsson? That guy had a child-sized body when we drafted him. Or maybe Formenton, wasn't he the one that grew something absurd like 6 inches after we drafted him?

Neither those guys were slow though. And Stone was not small.

Maybe Hoffman?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Rossi's lower body strength makes up for his size. He's not easy to knock off the puck.
He’s legit as wide as two other prospects. And it’s extremely noticeable especially live you’re like who’s that little block skating around the ice.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lack of size is less glaring when you're among the fastest skaters in the draft, like in Raymond's case.

But as discussed above, Rossi makes up for it with his lower body strength.
There’s this thing around that Rossi isn’t a great skater. He’s a good skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad