Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Raymond played in CHL he’d be in conversation for top 3.

Let’s hope Detroit doesn’t draft him.

I’m struggling with choosing between him and Drysdale tho.

My absolute dream scenario is trading number 15 + Shane Pinto for 9 and selecting Sanderson there. That should be very enticing to Buffalo. Getting their 2nd line C with Eichel and then another top 15 pick.

Leaving the the first round with Byfield/Stutzle, Raymond and Sanderson would set us up for years in all positions. We should do everything to make it happen.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
If Raymond played in CHL he’d be in conversation for top 3.

Let’s hope Detroit doesn’t draft him.

I’m struggling with choosing between him and Drysdale tho.

My absolute dream scenario is trading number 15 + Shane Pinto for 9 and selecting Sanderson there. That should be very enticing to Buffalo. Getting their 2nd line C with Eichel and then another top 15 pick.

Leaving the the first round with Byfield/Stutzle, Raymond and Sanderson would set us up for years in all positions. We should do everything to make it happen.

If sens draft stutzle/Byfield and Rossi with the first two picks, they better package that NYI first + Logan brown (+ more) and move up in the draft to grab Sanderson/Drysdale (Whoever is left). Drafting centers with picks 3 & 5 will spell the end for Logan Brown (and maybe even Colin white down the line)

Reactions: WaitingInVain

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If sens draft stutzle/Byfield and Rossi with the first two picks, they better package that NYI first + Logan brown (+ more) and move up in the draft to grab Sanderson/Drysdale (Whoever is left). Drafting centers with picks 3 & 5 will spell the end for Logan Brown (and maybe even Colin white down the line)

That sounds like something we should definitely aim for.

If we did do this though I doubt we'd be able to move up enough to snag Sanderson or Drysdale unless we gave away the Isles 1st + every single 2nd round pick we have.

And honestly, we aren't that desperate for another elite dman, not as much as we need elite center depth imo.

Reactions: SensHulk

rawraw

Jan 19, 2019
Red Wings fan coming in peace.
Since Rossi has played in your backyard I assume some of you might have seen him play a few times?
A big majority in this thread want either Byfield or Stützle at #3.
For me, between Rossi and Stützle, Rossi seems like the more skilled and cerebral player.
I'm actually sitting here hoping your management picks Stützle so that Yzerman can grab Rossi.
But I'm thinking since he played in your backyard your management knows exactly how good this kid is, so I'm not too hopeful. I watched pretty much every game Datsyuk played for the Wings, and Rossi reminds me of Datsyuk.
If they both we're 5'10, would you guys still pick Stützle over Rossi?
Just curious, what makes you pick Stützle over Rossi?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Red Wings fan coming in peace.
Since Rossi has played in your backyard I assume some of you might have seen him play a few times?
A big majority in this thread want either Byfield or Stützle at #3.
For me, between Rossi and Stützle, Rossi seems like the more skilled and cerebral player.
I'm actually sitting here hoping your management picks Stützle so that Yzerman can grab Rossi.
But I'm thinking since he played in your backyard your management knows exactly how good this kid is, so I'm not too hopeful. I watched pretty much every game Datsyuk played for the Wings, and Rossi reminds me of Datsyuk.
If they both we're 5'10, would you guys still pick Stützle over Rossi?
Just curious, what makes you pick Stützle over Rossi?

Speed and size.

If Rossi had Stutzle's speed and size he'd be competing for 1st overall. Stutzle is one of the best skaters in this draft.

Reactions: Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Was Briere not a top 6 C when he scored 95 pts for the Sabres?
Brayden Point is listed at 5'10 165 .. I'm sure that 1 more inch and 15 less lbs make a world of difference
and on that 1 inch... it could be less than that.
Saku koivu was also 5 foot 10 and light

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah im lazy and dont want to need to trade for players in ea sports nhl 2021 .. or something. No but the chemestry between Raymond Holtz is underrated. The topten players behind Laf is closer then most think i belive. I could be realy wrong, time will tell.
the worst is when we draft out of USHL or NCAA and i have to create them for the draft and the make sure we get them

Reactions: ZEBROA

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You're wrong as is. Who the heck wants to pass over Stutzle or Byfield to draft Raymond?
well two nhl scouts bob talked to had byfield 6. so them probably..

also pretty much all the Euro focused and based writers i follow have raymond ahead of Stutzle.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lapierre is Jarrod Maidens 2.0.
Maidens was still suffering serious symptoms at the time of the draft. Lapierre was slated to resume 0laying this year and is cleared to play at this point i would imagine. He was also diagnosed with a vertibrae issue and the doctors think it's possible only the 1st injury was actually a concussion.

The situation is very different from Maidens, there is still some risk but far less imo. I wouldn't use the nyi pick on him myself but if he slides to the 2nd round I'm happy to snag him.

Reactions: Ed Wood

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
That sounds like something we should definitely aim for.

If we did do this though I doubt we'd be able to move up enough to snag Sanderson or Drysdale unless we gave away the Isles 1st + every single 2nd round pick we have.

And honestly, we aren't that desperate for another elite dman, not as much as we need elite center depth imo.

Isles 1st (13th - 16th) + Logan Brown (former 9th overall, ready to step in) should be good enough to move up at least 3-4 spots IMO. If you add another 2nd with that, should be good enough for at least another 1-2 spots.

yeah I don’t know if that’s good enough to grab Sanderson, depends on where the NYI pick ends up I guess and need a willing partner to move down too.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd be very surprised if Rossi were to beat out L. Brown, Norris, White, Stutzle or Byfield for any of the top 3 centre spots. And even more surprised if he or Perfetti ended up on LW whether they could beat out Tkachuk, Duclair, Formenton or Stutzle. Or if Raymond could beat out Batherson or Pinto on RW. Time will tell.

Wow. Lucas Raymond would be our #1 RW in short order. MAAAYYYBE Batherson takes a huge jump and is our #1 RW but if we get Raymond he is our best RW prospect. Pinto isn't even in the same stratosphere, TBH.

I'm not really in favour of picking Rossi with our 5th pick but he'd be worthy of a top 6 slot within 2-3 years for sure.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wow. Lucas Raymond would be our #1 RW in short order. MAAAYYYBE Batherson takes a huge jump and is our #1 RW but if we get Raymond he is our best RW prospect. Pinto isn't even in the same stratosphere, TBH.

I'm not really in favour of picking Rossi with our 5th pick but he'd be worthy of a top 6 slot within 2-3 years for sure.

Im really hoping we come out with two 1-3 F’s with the two picks. I don’t want anything to do with a top 6 projection.

Reactions: jhutter

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We have Tkachuk as a top 6 forward and then a boatload of tweeners and ifs. Perhaps Batherson or Norris can develop into top 6 but even then we are extremely short on offence up front. On the back end we have Chabot and 3 1st rounders we hope can form a solid top 4 in a couple years.
We are more in need of high end forward skill and speed than D IMO.
One top 4 d man in the entire organization. I like when teams are built from the net out, the reason the sens have been getting smoked from a posession stand point for so long is because they cant get out of their zone. High scoring forwards are also very expensive so I digress we will not agree on this one. I understand what you are saying they do lack high end skill but I think they are better than people give them credit for from that stand point.

Either way they are getting a great player at 5, just my personal preference is to stay with BPA and in this case its a D man.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Haha ya. judging a guy based on height is kinda dumb.

Not dumb but limited. There is a reason that boxing has weight classes. Hockey is similar. A small player must have excellent skating and/or puckhandling and/or shooting skills to overcome the size limitation.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
While Rossi is small height wise, he doesnt play small. Hits big and at 180lbs he must be ripped muscle wise. I see him as the #2 playmaker in the draft after Laf (or even same as Laf).
I think it would be a big mistake to pass on him at 5 dont care what the data says lol

Agreed.

I honestly can't believe there is still a strong bias for size in 2020. If a small player is ranked #5 by many scouting departments I'm pretty damn sure he can "overcome" his height in the NHL.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
While Rossi is small height wise, he doesnt play small. Hits big and at 180lbs he must be ripped muscle wise. I see him as the #2 playmaker in the draft after Laf (or even same as Laf).
I think it would be a big mistake to pass on him at 5 dont care what the data says lol

I agree he plays bigger than his size. He does remind me of Alfie in that way in how he battles and uses the size he does possess as well as he does.

But the 5'9 is a real concern. I hope he can overcome it.

I will admit that Pageau at 5'10 has been quite successful given his height so hopefully Rossi can as well.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree he plays bigger than his size. He does remind me of Alfie in that way in how he battles and uses the size he does possess as well as he does.

But the 5'9 is a real concern. I hope he can overcome it.

I will admit that Pageau at 5'10 has been quite successful given his height so hopefully Rossi can as well.

Pageau is extremely fast and excellent skater all-around. If Rossi had his speed I'd have no troubles selecting him 3rd.

With Rossi the issue isn't just a question of size. It's also speed. You have to have excellent speed to be an excellent contributor down the middle like Point, Briere, Tyler Johnson etc. You can be a bit slower and still be successful but you'll have to be a winger at that point.

Reactions: DJB

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Rossi's height matters little at the OHL level because he is pretty much already fully developed physically. He has tremendous lower body strength due to being a gym rat and lanky undeveloped OHLers have a hard time knocking him off the puck, even though he's very short.

When the players are men and are fully developed physically, he's going to have a harder time protecting and controlling the puck.

That's not to say he can't be successful because of his height at the NHL level, but he probably will have to adjust his game somewhat.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Pageau is extremely fast and excellent skater all-around. If Rossi had his speed I'd have no troubles selecting him 3rd.

With Rossi the issue isn't just a question of size. It's also speed. You have to have excellent speed to be an excellent contributor down the middle like Point, Briere, Tyler Johnson etc. You can be a bit slower and still be successful but you'll have to be a winger at that point.
I find the whole Rossi doesnt have speed to be a myth that got spread around this board. Will he have elite speed matching the very fastest skaters? Maybe not. But he isnt slow by any means, just watch the highlights he can still move and with better vision (offensively and defensively) than every player this draft which you cant teach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad