Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What are you basing that comment on. I think he would have likely gone much earlier than 20. He had 65 points And was +51 in 53 reg season games and 22 points in 17 playoff games playing down in the lineup with limited special teams time. IMO he goes top 10 last year.

Okay ? Want number ? Be specific ? I’m using 20 ish as the General consensus at the time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I really like Rossi, but I also think it's a bit of a waste in a deep drat to go for a guy at #5 whose realistic ceiling is 2C. You know he's going to be an NHLer, like a rich man's Pageau, but you really want to hit a home run at 5.

This is what's so hard about this draft. Everyone after Laf has question marks.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I really like Rossi, but I also think it's a bit of a waste in a deep drat to go for a guy at #5 whose realistic ceiling is 2C. You know he's going to be an NHLer, like a rich man's Pageau, but you really want to hit a home run at 5.

Rossi’s ceiling is definitely not a second line centre. I wouldn’t take him at 5 after picking a centre at 3 but he’s got the potential to be a top line centre for sure.

Reactions: SensFactor

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He'd be our best C hands down.. If we took him behind Byfield or Stutzle he would be our 2C . But that 1 2 3 C punch with Norris projects to be very good. I do get what you are saying about trying to hit a home run. I think Rossi is a little safer pick but you could get more offense out of Perfetti or Raymond if they reach their ceilings. Drysdale a homerun pick? I think Perfetti has the most high pt producing upside of the 3 forwards but I think he is a little riskier pick as well. I would have no issues swinging for the fences with Perfetti.

Reactions: Ed Wood and GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What round do you draft Sokolov ?
Idk probably 3rd round or later, but i do know that 12 all time for 18 year olds in the ohl is significantly more impressive than 215th all time for 19 year olds in the qmjhl.

Now if Sokolov had a historically good 19 year old season, maybe he'd be relevant to this conversation.

Everybody here understands that age is important, but when you control for age by comparing Rossi to players either born late Sep to 31 dec in their first year of draft eligibility and players born Jan to mid Sep in the year after their first year of draft eligibility, he comes out near the top of the list.

Look, there are reasons to be skeptical of Rossi in the top 5, particularly since there are so many strong candidates, but his age is already baked into where people have him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Rossi’s ceiling is definitely not a second line centre. I wouldn’t take him at 5 after picking a centre at 3 but he’s got the potential to be a top line centre for sure.

I can’t see Rossi playing against Malkin, Matthews or Backstrom at a #1 C level: maybe he’s a #1 in the o-zone but his size is an issue for me. At #5 I dont think he’s a good pick for the Sens because a small top line center handicaps you’re matchups and makes you a small team when you have to puta small player out there for 20+ minutes a night. I’d take him at #10 but better players available at #5.

Our choices at #5 will be:
Drysdale
Perfetti
Raymond
Sanderson
Askarov

And I don’t think we can go wrong with any player from that group.

Reactions: Sweatred

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Realistic ceiling. Not his absolute, best case possible.

There's only really 25 or so true 1Cs in the NHL. It's one hell of an exclusive group.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I can’t see Rossi playing against Malkin, Matthews or Backstrom at a #1 C level: maybe he’s a #1 in the o-zone but his size is an issue for me. At #5 I dont think he’s a good pick for the Sens because a small top line center handicaps you’re matchups and makes you a small team when you have to puta small player out there for 20+ minutes a night. I’d take him at #10 but better players available at #5.

Our choices at #5 will be:
Drysdale
Perfetti
Raymond
Sanderson
Askarov

And I don’t think we can go wrong with any player from that group.

What's interesting about that is the centre we've trusted the most against the other teams top players over these last few years has been Pageau. Similar size, both stronger than they are tall. Both highly competitive.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If the Wings take Perfetti at four (not an unreasonable pick IMO), I think our best option at five is either Raymond or Drysdale. I wouldn't discount Raymond, as he addresses a huge organizational need - our depth on right hand shooting wingers is brutally thin right now.

I definitely do not want Askarov - taking a goalie in the top five is a massive gamble, especially at a time when we have so many other needs. (Oh, and goalies are voodoo, so there's that also.) We can always go get a goalie via trade or free agency if it turns out we need one in a couple of years - right now the first order of business is to find guys who can generate offense. I don't think that DJ Smith and his staff get nearly enough credit for keeping our team competitive most nights this year with a lineup as thin as he had. Take a good hard look at our roster vs. the Red Wings - I'd argue that they had significantly more talent up front. We had the weakest roster in the NHL for scoring, and second place wasn't particularly close. We need offensive skill right now - period, full stop.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What's interesting about that is the centre we've trusted the most against the other teams top players over these last few years has been Pageau. Similar size, both stronger than they are tall. Both highly competitive.

they’ll be playing entirely different rolls, I’m not saying small players don’t have a place in the teaM, I’m just saying I don’t want our #1 depth Forward To be 5’8”.

Size still wins you games, St Louis, Washington we’re both big tough teams. I can’t think of a Cup winner who won with a #1 C at 5’8”

I want Ottawa to build a team that has size, strength and can grind teams down.

Reactions: otown

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who's your swing for the fences pick at 5?
Id say the biggest swing for the fences pick would be Askarov at 5 as he carries by far the most risk. Second would be Perfetti followed by Raymond. Perfetti sure has alot of high end skill but his skating, size and strength is also a concern. I have heard quite a few scouts are worried about Raymonds game translating to North America. If Drysdale is gone at 5 I hope they take him personally but I just get a feeling the sens arent very high on him.

I think the safest picks at 5 in order in my opinion would be Drysdale, Rossi, Quinn, Holtz as options of players in that range.

I honestly dont see Yzerman taking Perfetti, too much Jonathan Drouin in him and im sure passing on Jones for Drouin must be in the back of his mind. I would be suprised if they dont take Drysdale.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the Wings take Perfetti at four (not an unreasonable pick IMO), I think our best option at five is either Raymond or Drysdale. I wouldn't discount Raymond, as he addresses a huge organizational need - our depth on right hand shooting wingers is brutally thin right now.

I definitely do not want Askarov - taking a goalie in the top five is a massive gamble, especially at a time when we have so many other needs. (Oh, and goalies are voodoo, so there's that also.) We can always go get a goalie via trade or free agency if it turns out we need one in a couple of years - right now the first order of business is to find guys who can generate offense. I don't think that DJ Smith and his staff get nearly enough credit for keeping our team competitive most nights this year with a lineup as thin as he had. Take a good hard look at our roster vs. the Red Wings - I'd argue that they had significantly more talent up front. We had the weakest roster in the NHL for scoring, and second place wasn't particularly close. We need offensive skill right now - period, full stop.

I agree. I am a BPA believer and at 5 we'll see who's there. The Sens can use upgrades at every position except #1LD. Even at #1LW we could use a higher pt producing player that can drive offence.

Assuming Byfield , Stutzle go 2/3 in some order.. in the pool remaining Drysdale, Perfetti, Raymond, Rossi, Sanderson .. even if the BPA ranking slightly favors Drysdale, the need for scoring/offensive skill up front and this opportunity may trump that slight difference, knowing next year's D crop is stronger.

The Wings will take one of that group .. 4 very good players left. I can buy the rational for any one of them.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
they’ll be playing entirely different rolls, I’m not saying small players don’t have a place in the teaM, I’m just saying I don’t want our #1 depth Forward To be 5’8”.

Size still wins you games, St Louis, Washington we’re both big tough teams. I can’t think of a Cup winner who won with a #1 C at 5’8”

So now Rossi is 5'8... And we don't want a forward at that height but losing a 5'8 D prospect would leave a hole the organization would take 2-3 years to recover from huh?

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Of course being able to win with size, strength and wearing teams down is ideal. I don't think having Rossi on your team means you'd have to play a completely different style. Boston's a good example of a team with a mix of smaller and bigger guys. They can beat you with skill but also aren't easy to play against. Those smaller guys need to have that high level of compete and a willingness to go to those tougher areas which I think Rossi does.

In this hypothetical, did Ottawa pass on Stutzle/Byfield, or move Stutzle to the wing? Otherwise, if you go with that #3 pick as your top centre, Rossi could be your #2. Your first post made me think you like him offensively but it's his defensive game and playing against other top centres that scares you off. Would you be more okay with him in that #2 role? Especially with all the big players Ottawa has in their system already (Tkachuk, Pinto, Formenton, Batherson, Norris).

What I think will allow Rossi to succeed, despite being 5'9", is his strength, intelligence, mindset, and competitiveness. His skating improved a fair bit from year 1 to 2 in the OHL, so that's something I hope he can take even one step further, making him an even tougher player to play against.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Of course being able to win with size, strength and wearing teams down is ideal. I don't think having Rossi on your team means you'd have to play a completely different style. Boston's a good example of a team with a mix of smaller and bigger guys. They can beat you with skill but also aren't easy to play against. Those smaller guys need to have that high level of compete and a willingness to go to those tougher areas which I think Rossi does.

In this hypothetical, did Ottawa pass on Stutzle/Byfield, or move Stutzle to the wing? Otherwise, if you go with that #3 pick as your top centre, Rossi could be your #2. Your first post made me think you like him offensively but it's his defensive game and playing against other top centres that scares you off. Would you be more okay with him in that #2 role? Especially with all the big players Ottawa has in their system already (Tkachuk, Pinto, Formenton, Batherson, Norris).

What I think will allow Rossi to succeed, despite being 5'9", is his strength, intelligence, mindset, and competitiveness. His skating improved a fair bit from year 1 to 2 in the OHL, so that's something I hope he can take even one step further, making him an even tougher player to play against.

I’m Just not into a 5’8” when you have Norris, Pinto, L. Brown and either Stuz and Byf ready for the #1 roll. I see Ottawa building a big Center position 1-4 and I’m a big fan of this plan. Don’t even see a need for Rossi after our #3 pick is in.

Reactions: otown and senswon

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So now Rossi is 5'8... And we don't want a forward at that height but losing a 5'8 D prospect would leave a hole the organization would take 2-3 years to recover from huh?

If we were about to draft a D that was 5,8” and was projected to be our #1 dman I’d be against it as well. Small players have a place, I don’t think a 5’8” #1 Dman or a 5’8 #1 center is a good idea for any team

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That's fair, the fact that he's shrinking is scaring me a little bit, too.

Jack Quinn as well has a huge Scott Glennie vibe to me. Playing with an elite C (top 5 pick) on a stacked team his scouting report is overrated IMo. I’d avoid picking him just because I think his stats are mad padded by playing on a PP with Rossi and on an elite team.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Jack Quinn as well has a huge Scott Glennie vibe to me. Playing with an elite C (top 5 pick) on a stacked team his scouting report is overrated IMo. I’d avoid picking him just because I think his stats are mad padded by playing on a PP with Rossi and on an elite team.

I did the research earlier and found that 39 of Quinn's 52 goals (75%) did not involved Rossi. He drove the play, seperate from Rossi, at even strength. Both came together to help form a dominant PP, though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Only 15 of his goals are from the PP, I'd have to try and find it but i don't think he relied on the PP to produce.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we were about to draft a D that was 5,8” and was projected to be our #1 dman I’d be against it as well. Small players have a place, I don’t think a 5’8” #1 Dman or a 5’8 #1 center is a good idea for any team
He’s not 5’8 though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->