Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
The third overall pick is almost certainly going to be Byfield/Stutzle. Dorion said he’s been to Germany a lot and mentioned two players in the tier so it’s reasonable to assume it’s them.

5th overall gets more interesting. Who do you want the Sens to draft?

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Raymond is my first choice, and Rossi is my second choice if Detroit takes Raymond. Raymond had a tough year but his skillset is electric and there's still a roadmap for him to become a stud offensive catalyst a la Marner. Rossi is less dynamic but has an insane hockey IQ.

I'm really hoping they don't go with a d-man, which I seem to be repeating ad nauseum. Which probably means one of two rumoured d-men ends up turning into a superstar.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Depends on the Islanders pick. If NYI lose the play-in and that pick is 13-15 then use it as trade bait. Take Drysdale at 5 and trade up to 9-11 range to pick a forward like Holtz or Quinn .

odhiambo

Apr 12, 2009
With 5th pick select Yaroslav Askarov.

Elite goalie which sets Ottawa for the next decade!

First round:

1) Stutzle or Byfield
2) Askarov
3) Schneider

Reactions: KrazyKat

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
One of Perfetti, Raymond, Sanderson, Drysdale.

Anyone of that group and they made a good pick imo, anyone outside that group they missed out.

You'd have Rossi, Quinn and Holtz a clear tier below then? What are your concerns, lower upside for Rossi, bust factor for the others? Quinn and Holtz make me somewhat nervous with a top 5 pick, although I think Holtz can be a 30 goal scorer, but I feel pretty confident in Rossi being a good top 6er, which is not a homerun but not a ground out, either.

Haven’t gotten a good look at Drysdale and Sanderson. How good do they project to be?

You would get a large range of opinions on both players, but they should both be top 4 DMen or better, unless things go horribly wrong. I think Drysdale gets a bit overstated offensively and Sanderson gets a bit understated... both have good skill and great smarts. Drysdale probably gets understated defensive... I don't think he has the upside that Makar has shown, but he could be a decent analog for how he plays.

I'm going to point to two Minnesota DMen, though: Ryan Suter and Jarod Spurgeon. Drysdale has more PP upside than Spurgeon and Sanderson might have a bit less all around upside than Suter, but I think stylistically and impactwise the potential is similar.

Last edited:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I think they pick whoever is left between Drysdale and Raymond. I'd be very upset if Drysdale is available and they go elsewhere.
If Drysdale is gone I'd be OK with Raymond, Rossi or Perfetti. I don't want Sanderson in the top five.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You'd have Rossi, Quinn and Holtz a clear tier below then? What are your concerns, lower upside for Rossi, bust factor for the others? Quinn and Holtz make me somewhat nervous with a top 5 pick, although I think Holtz can be a 30 goal scorer, but I feel pretty confident in Rossi being a good top 6er, which is not a homerun but not a ground out, either.
Yeah I’ve had that opinion for a while, I’ve never had Quinn in that area.

Rossi is what he is, and he’s still going to be a very, very good player. He has the least room for growth in the top 10, and I don’t think he’s going to be able to play his game in the NHL as well as he can in the OHL.

Holtz and Quinn are probably the best pure shooters in the draft. They are always valuable. I don’t see either guy ever being the one driving play for their line, they will be the guys being setup.

I have a clear top 7, with the tier being Perfetti, Raymond, Sanderson and Drysdale. My own view, and it’s not shared by most/any here which is perfectly fine.

I’m not expecting the Sens to have the same view, so I’m perfectly content with who they pick regardless of me liking it or not at the time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Raymond is my first choice, and Rossi is my second choice if Detroit takes Raymond. Raymond had a tough year but his skillset is electric and there's still a roadmap for him to become a stud offensive catalyst a la Marner. Rossi is less dynamic but has an insane hockey IQ.

I'm really hoping they don't go with a d-man, which I seem to be repeating ad nauseum. Which probably means one of two rumoured d-men ends up turning into a superstar.

Raymond had a better SHL season than most Swedish superstars same age with far less deployment. He was excellent every other play too.

Haven’t gotten a good look at Drysdale and Sanderson. How good do they project to be?

Both number 1 Ds. One OHL scout said Drysdale has best breakout of the millennium. Few, if not many, have said he’s best defender to come out of O since Doughty. One associate coach of Sanderson said he could be better than all the defenders he coached (includes Seth Jones, Werenski, etc)

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Raymond had a better SHL season than most Swedish superstars same age with far less deployment. He was excellent every other play too.

Both number 1 Ds. One OHL scout said Drysdale has best breakout of the millennium. Few, if not many, have said he’s best defender to come out of O since Doughty. One associate coach of Sanderson said he could be better than all the defenders he coached (includes Seth Jones, Werenski, etc)
Wow. It’ll be hard to pass on one of those defenseman then.
Would be unreal walking away with a 1C and 1D from this draft.

Reactions: Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Ottawa means business. They must go balls to the wall and trade up to select Holtz or Quinn. IMO we have the assets. Should be no brainer.

Holtz-Stutzle/Byfield-Raymond

is nice. Quinn more realistic as he’ll likely be around 10th pick moreso than Holtz.

If Detriot take Holtz:

Perfetti-Byfield/Stutzle-Holtz/Quinn

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah I’ve had that opinion for a while, I’ve never had Quinn in that area.

Rossi is what he is, and he’s still going to be a very, very good player. He has the least room for growth in the top 10, and I don’t think he’s going to be able to play his game in the NHL as well as he can in the OHL.

Holtz and Quinn are probably the best pure shooters in the draft. They are always valuable. I don’t see either guy ever being the one driving play for their line, they will be the guys being setup.

I have a clear top 7, with the tier being Perfetti, Raymond, Sanderson and Drysdale. My own view, and it’s not shared by most/any here which is perfectly fine.

I’m not expecting the Sens to have the same view, so I’m perfectly content with who they pick regardless of me liking it or not at the time.

Yeah, I would agree that Quinn isn't in that tier, and that neither him nor Holtz will likely ever drive a line, although I think Holtz has the ability to be one of the leagues elite complimentary players - and I think he will be able to hold his own defensively in a way that a lot of guys of his ilk, like Hoffman or Kessel, never really did.

As for Rossi, I agree he has the least room to grow, but I think if that wasn't the case he'd be getting top 3 consideration. I think with him, you take a trade off of upside vs guarantee. He's kind of like the flip side of Perfetti - a guy who I wouldn't be surprised to see as a top player in this draft but also a guy I wouldn't be surprised to see as a guy who disappoints.

All in all, I'm on the same page as you - I trust our scouts but have gut preferences towards certain guys (although I suspect your feelings are a bit less gut than mine and a bit more informed)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wow. It’ll be hard to pass on one of those defenseman then.
Would be unreal walking away with a 1C and 1D from this draft.

Yea it actually will. Especially if you consider the fact that we could counter the enormous forward talent on other team’s rosters in our division with a defensive powerhouse.

Chabot-Drysdale
Brannstrom-JBD

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom

Can hang with any forward group.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not a Sens fan but I'm a bit surprised that so few people here appear to be behind Drysdale at #5.

From the outside, getting a potential 1C in Byfield/Stutzle + the highest ranked defenseman in the draft appears to be quite a homerun. Why would you guys prefer two forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad