Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Given the preoccupation on here with point production I am curious why people are high on Rossi but don't have Seth Jarvis in a similar ranking. On season totals there appears to be a meaningful gap:

Marco Rossi 56 GP 39 G 81 A 120 PTS vs Seth Jarvis 58 GP 42 G 56 A 98 PTS

But when I looked into the production since January it provides a different perspective:

Marco Rossi 29 GP 16 G 42 A 58 PTS vs Seth Jarvis 26 GP 28 G 35 A 63 PTS

Rossi was producing at 0.55 goals per game, 1.45 assists per game and 2 points per game.

Jarvis was producing at 1.08 goals per game, 1.35 assists per game and 2.4 points per game.

It is also often argued that the WHL is a harder league to produce in than the OHL

Jarvis has also out produced many other notable top ranked WHL prospects in their respective draft years.

Reactions: Sens in Process

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Given the preoccupation on here with point production I am curious why people are high on Rossi but don't have Seth Jarvis in a similar ranking. On season totals there appears to be a meaningful gap:

But when I looked into the production since January it provides a different perspective:

Rossi was producing at 0.55 goals per game, 1.45 assists per game and 2 points per game.

Jarvis was producing at 1.08 goals per game, 1.35 assists per game and 2.4 points per game.

It is also often argued that the WHL is a harder league to produce in than the OHL

Jarvis has also out produced many other notable top ranked WHL prospects in their respective draft years.

I said before and I will again, there probably isn't that much seperation between the second tier of wingers, from Perfetti through about Jarvis and maybe even throw in Perrault; I include Rossi in this group.

Perfetti is the guy who has the potential to really blow his second tier cohorts away.

I am really surprised Jarvis gets limited love around here, when his accomplishments are on par with Rossi, when considering the talent he played with and being in a lower scoring league. OHL amounted to shinny hockey this year and the numbers are generally inflated.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
D77F2AE3-5D89-4CC6-B125-CA1206690863.jpeg

Quinn is 6’1. Rossi doesn’t look like he’s 5’8.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Are people not high on Jarvis? I have him in the 13 to 15ish tier, right after the notorious 4 to 12 tier our second pick will be coming from. I'd love to land Jarvis. I would say Rossi does have a more developed two way game (jarvis is good too) and was producing all season not just the second half.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It’s not a slight on Jarvis, but Rossi has been great for 2 seasons. Jarvis and Quinn are risers and should be considered in the 8-15 range.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

You could say the same thing for every CHL prospect comparing them to Jarvis. Don’t know why you’re singling out Rossi. Nobody is high on Rossi just because he put up easy totals.

Substitute Rossi for Perfetti or Byfield in your post.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It’s not a slight on Jarvis, but Rossi has been great for 2 seasons. Jarvis and Quinn are risers and should be considered in the 8-15 range.

Rossi had 33 less points in 5 less games than Jarvis in the same development year.

Don't forget Rossi is a year ahead of Jarvis in development as a '01-born in the '02-born draft due to his late birthday.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Rossi had 33 less points in 5 less games than Jarvis in the same development year.

Don't forget Rossi is a year ahead of Jarvis in development as a '01-born in the '02-born draft due to his late birthday.
Really depends on when they both started to play hockey. Both have two years in the CHL. Unless you’re talking about physical development.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If he was Crosby's size he would be in the conversation for number 2.
Crosby wasn’t that big when drafted but his lower body strength is not normal

but ya I think Rossi will be a top line centre he just has the drive

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Are people not high on Jarvis? I have him in the 13 to 15ish tier, right after the notorious 4 to 12 tier our second pick will be coming from. I'd love to land Jarvis. I would say Rossi does have a more developed two way game (jarvis is good too) and was producing all season not just the second half.

I just had the impression that some people were relying too heavily on Rossi's production as to why he should be drafted 5th overall. I also noticed that some posters generally get preoccupied with point production when ranking prospects., so when I dug into Jarvis's stats it seemed like he should be ranked a lot higher by those posters that heavily favor point production. It looked like within that narrow context that Jarvis should be considered for 5th overall and that there was an argument to be had that maybe he should even be preferred to Rossi.

Personally I value point production but I try to be careful about overvaluing it when evaluating prospects. I was partially challenging the preoccupation on point production but also drawing some further attention to Jarvis.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just had the impression that some people were relying too heavily on Rossi's production as to why he should be drafted 5th overall. I also noticed that some posters generally get preoccupied with point production when ranking prospects., so when I dug into Jarvis's stats it seemed like he should be ranked a lot higher by those posters that heavily favor point production. It looked like within that narrow context that Jarvis should be considered for 5th overall and that there was an argument to be had that maybe he should even be preferred to Rossi.

Personally I value point production but I try to be careful about overvaluing it when evaluating prospects. I was partially challenging the preoccupation on point production but also drawing some further attention to Jarvis.
So. I can only speak for myself, but i have Rossi at around 7 or 8th while Jarvis 12th (i don't like drafting goalies that high otherwise Askarov might bump him down a spot).

I like them both because not only do they put up massive pts but they also play pretty complete games and are very hard workers.

Reactions: HzH and RAFI BOMB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad