Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I have been on the Byfield train all year long but something about Stutzle (3) and Raymond (5) has me excited. Stutzle was amazing on the PP from the left side and Raymond was great from the right side. I think both play well 5v5 too. Not the "heavy" type of player we're looking for generally but both skilled and would held special teams a ton.

Reactions: DJB and Crosside

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Sanderson seems to be one of these "does everything well" guys that I feel ends up being a bit overrated.

That sounds more like JBD. Sanderson is an elite skater, with high-end hockey sense, puck moving skills and defensive ability. He started showing glimpses of being more of game changing offensive force in U18s, All-America prospects game and the second half of his season with US development team.

Admittedly, you are projecting what Sanderson is going to become and not what he is at present moment. Contrary to what many think here, I think he has real high-ceiling.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
theres this weird personal preference i have.. if we draft stutzle i want raymond. and i want lundell later on.

if we draft byfield, i want drysdale for the Canadian Coverage.

its all for the aesthetic.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah im lazy and dont want to need to trade for players in ea sports nhl 2021 .. or something. No but the chemestry between Raymond Holtz is underrated. The topten players behind Laf is closer then most think i belive. I could be realy wrong, time will tell.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I am of the opinion you take the top pairing D man over any position other than the top pairing centerman. IE going best player available. Scoring wingers are alot easier to find and they already have alot of forward depth.

Byfield/Stutzle
Tkachuk
Batherson
Duclair
Norris
C. Brown
L. Brown
Tierney
Formenton
White
Balcers
Abramov
Pinto
Chlapik
Plus 5 more picks in the top two rounds.

They only have one top pairing D man and alot of wild cards or bottom pair players. History has told us you need two really good pairs to win anything in todays NHL. Atleast from what I have seen.
We have Tkachuk as a top 6 forward and then a boatload of tweeners and ifs. Perhaps Batherson or Norris can develop into top 6 but even then we are extremely short on offence up front. On the back end we have Chabot and 3 1st rounders we hope can form a solid top 4 in a couple years.
We are more in need of high end forward skill and speed than D IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We have Tkachuk as a top 6 forward and then a boatload of tweeners and ifs. Perhaps Batherson or Norris can develop into top 6 but even then we are extremely short on offence up front. On the back end we have Chabot and 3 1st rounders we hope can form a solid top 4 in a couple years.
We are more in need of high end forward skill and speed than D IMO.

While that's completely true, bypassing the better talent at the top of the draft because of a need requirement to me is a colossal mistake.

You take the BPA each and every time and not worry about anything else.

What happens if Brannstrom and Thompson bust? Or JBD is simply a bottom pair guy? And if Drysdale becomes a top pair dman and while we take a forward who's a middle 6 guy.

There is a lot of "ifs" in there but regardless take the BPA.

Trade for need

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While that's completely true, bypassing the better talent at the top of the draft because of a need requirement to me is a colossal mistake.

What happens if Brannstrom and Thompson bust? Or JBD is simply a bottom pair guy? And if Drysdale becomes a top pair dman and while we take a forward who's a middle 6 guy.

Trade for need

I understand the concept but it seems as if there are quite a few guys in the same tier so it's not that simple.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah im lazy and dont want to need to trade for players in ea sports nhl 2021 .. or something. No but the chemestry between Raymond Holtz is underrated. The topten players behind Laf is closer then most think i belive. I could be realy wrong, time will tell.

You're wrong as is. Who the heck wants to pass over Stutzle or Byfield to draft Raymond?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Trade for need
Who is BPA. Dorion already said he sees 4-12 as a tier which means they are all comparable in the orgs eyes. In that scenario you take organizational need.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Who is BPA. Dorion already said he sees 4-12 as a tier which means they are all comparable in the orgs eyes. In that scenario you take organizational need.

Of course there are tiers. But Dorion isnt throwing all the names in a hat to pick one at 5.

He also has them ranked 4-12.

You dont draft for need in the NHL ever.

Reactions: Icelevel

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
I would pick Raymond at 3, Holtz at 5.

If we come out of #3 without a top C prospect (or Lafreniere), we failed. Opportunities to get superstar centers are just too hard to come by to pass up on Byfield or Stutzle and history shows they are the essential components for success in today’s NHL.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Of course there are tiers. But Dorion isnt throwing all the names in a hat to pick one at 5.

He also has them ranked 4-12.

You dont draft for need in the NHL ever.
Sure you do. The whole BPA is a myth unless there is a true gap.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would pick Raymond at 3, Holtz at 5.

Yea I would not do that.

Raymond has a lot to prove compared to Stutzle still. Had a hard time adjusting to the SHL and was playing 10 mins a night. Stutzle handles physicality much better and is more engaged.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
In all honesty I think id be happy with like 5 different players here

Its gonna be interesting to see how the Sens rate the next group after Byfield/Stutzle

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Byfield / Stutzle
Rossi
Norris

Would be an awesome 1,2,3 down the middle
While I agree Byfield/Stutzle, Rossi are BPA in this years draft (outside of Laf) our bottom C position would be getting crowded. Who would be the 4th C? Pinto, White, Tierny, Chlapik?

Does anyone else kindof hope Seattle takes White in the expansion? He did start coming around at the end of the year so maybe if he does well we could trade him and Tierny for MORE PICKS!!! at the deadline lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
While I agree Byfield/Stutzle, Rossi are BPA in this years draft (outside of Laf) our bottom C position would be getting crowded. Who would be the 4th C? Pinto, White, Tierny, Chlapik?

Does anyone else kindof hope Seattle takes White in the expansion? He did start coming around at the end of the year so maybe if he does well we could trade him and Tierny for MORE PICKS!!! at the deadline lol

Pinto or White.. At least one will have to move the wing or Norris possibly could.. TBD but probably White to play in the top 9 will have to move unless he takes a good step. Tierney is a non factor in another year at the latest, he'll be gone imo; Chlapik should not influence the decision. We are likely going to have to make a quality for quantity move. Logan Brown is also in that mix.
I think it should be easier for C's to transition to the W.. than the other way around. Smith really wants his C's to be responsible defensively and provide support to the D (vs F1,F2,F3) .so White should have an edge to be a C if he does take a step. If he doesn't that contract will look worse and they likely try to move him somehow. Sucks that he had a bad year and then this year is messed up pretty bad ... All this time off is not good for young players. Hopefully they are able to work on their games somehow. There is some horizon to figure it out but if they think Rossi is their guy and he is #2 behind Byfield or Stutzle then the other guys will have to move positions or teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
An interesting fact. There hasn’t been a top 6 center at 5’9 or under for 40 years (Rossi). The last one was Marcel Dionne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad