Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laminator

May 25, 2014
If we draft Raymond at 5. I was curious which league would be the best league for his development next season(s)? I would love to see him play in the OHL (or somewhere in the CHL) for the next two season. Help him get stronger and adapt to the North American game.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I’m hoping we get one of Raymond or Perfetti.

Anyone else and it’ll be a bit harder to make me happy.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
As soon as they announced the 3-5 picks, I wanted whoever LA doesn't take between Byfield and Stutzle (I'd personally prefer Stutzle), and Rossi.

But, after looking at the Sens depth down the middle with the 3rd OA pick, White, Norris, Brown and Pinto, I'd be ok if they passed on Rossi for Raymond.

Brady and Duclair as your top 2 LWs
Batherson and Raymond as the top 2 RWs.

Can't complain with that!
Rossi could play wing and probably be more useful than Raymond.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I’m hoping we get one of Raymond or Perfetti.

Anyone else and it’ll be a bit harder to make me happy.

Drysdale will be hard to make you happy? The guy would go 2nd or 3rd overall in any other draft. But Raymond or Drysdale are the only people who should be looked at for 5 imho.

I think its going to be LA decides if we get Stutzle or Byfield and Detroit decides if we get Drysdale or Raymond.

Leaving the draft with any combination of Byfield/Stutzle + Raymond or Drysdale is gonna a be insane hual

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
If we draft Raymond at 5. I was curious which league would be the best league for his development next season(s)? I would love to see him play in the OHL (or somewhere in the CHL) for the next two season. Help him get stronger and adapt to the North American game.

There's really not much to discuss, Raymond is under contract with Frölunda and will play there next season. Due to the agreement between the NHL and SHL Raymond would need to sign an NHL contract during this summer for the NHL team to have any say in where they want him to play. Since the draft is delayed the NHL team who drafts him has no control over him until next season. (Similar should be true for other European leagues as well).

As for where it would be best for him to play (ignoring contract) , I think you are severely under-estimating him... 2 seasons in junior? I could sort of understand 1 (although I don't think that would be helpful) but 2? Playing in Frölunda next season is probably the best thing for him.
Frölunda is betting quite hard on Raymond to produce next season. They are losing the 2 offensive right-shot forwards that was ahead of him on the depth-chart, one of which is probably the best offensive player in the SHL (Ryan Lasch). They are expecting Raymond to step in and run PP1 and play on either first or 2nd line.

I would expect Raymond to hover around 1 PPG in the SHL next season.

My guess is that after next season he will go to NA, probably start in the AHL to adjust to NA ice, and then either play in the NHL during that season or the next.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Hawks fan here. I really hope you guys draft Rossi. I have a feeling he’s going to end up one of the best players of this draft. I see him being a Hossa-like player and there are very few of guys with that type of tenacity and senses.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
If we pick Byfield and Drysdale. I m gonna be very disappointed. Melnyk i m gonna stop to go at the ctc

Just curious as to why?

Having byfield + drysdale > lafreniere

We address a needed center and RD position with the 2 best at that position in the draft.

If byfield is anything like Malkin, you'll be buying 12 dollar pops from melnyk in no time:laugh:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Just curious as to why?

Having byfield + drysdale > lafreniere

We address a needed center and RD position with the 2 best at that position in the draft.

If byfield is anything like Malkin, you'll be buying 12 dollar pops from melnyk in no time:laugh:
Because Byfield , I have the impression it s gonna take time like L.Brown and Drysdale I think we have enough offensive defenceman. I prefer in the second round take Barron , Villeneuve , Grans or Mukha. I want physical , defence defenceman. I want Stutzel , Raymond , Sanderson, Askarov or Holtz. Or the dream , trade for Lafreniere.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thinking of Rob Blake saying he has 4 prospects considered for #2 overall - if reports are true and they want a D, I think they could move back. If Ottawa guarantees Blake they take Byfield and Stuzel, then at #5 they can take Drusdale or Sanderson. Rob Blake is probably looking at Sanderson and thinking, that was me at 18.

Ottawa - #2 overall
L.A. - #5 overall, #33, #46, 2nd 2021, Wolanin

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thinking of Rob Blake saying he has 4 prospects considered for #2 overall - if reports are true and they want a D, I think they could move back. If Ottawa guarantees Blake they take Byfield and Stuzel, then at #5 they can take Drusdale or Sanderson. Rob Blake is probably looking at Sanderson and thinking, that was me at 18.

Ottawa - #2 overall
L.A. - #5 overall, #33, #46, 2nd 2021, Wolanin

I like the idea but I thinks it’s an overpay. 33 has a tonne of value. They could also work off flipping 2 and 3OA which could be as little as a pick like 45.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because Byfield , I have the impression it s gonna take time like L.Brown and Drysdale I think we have enough offensive defenceman. I prefer in the second round take Barron , Villeneuve , Grans or Mukha. I want physical , defence defenceman. I want Stutzel , Raymond , Sanderson, Askarov or Holtz. Or the dream , trade for Lafreniere.
Whats wrong with a player taking time? The team isnt going to be good for a few years anyway. All that matters is what the player becomes and if Byfield hits his prime he is going to be better than Lafreniere.

Byfield is also nothing like Logan Brown. He is a way better prospect, much stronger and faster at a younger age. Speaking of Logan Brown I expect he starts making an impact next season anyway

I think most sens fans need to take a far deeper dive on Drysdale. Watch the video on youtube that Draft Dynasty did. He isnt simply an offensive d man. He is a two way d man that controls the pace of the game.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Drysdale held his own at the u20’s and was pretty effective vs Byfield shutting down Byfield in the prospects game. I want the Sens to draft Byfield/Stutzle but I think Drysdale is a better hockey player today than Byfield.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m torn on Byfield and Stutzle.

Stutzle seems more ready and may be the more dynamic, exciting and versatile player.

But part of me salivates at the idea of Byfield and Tkachuk running over defencemen in the playoffs.

Drysdale is great but we’re going to have a real logjam at D which means we have to rely on Dorion getting value for the prospects that don’t fit.

And yes, I get the RD/LD thing but you can only have so many puck carrying defencemen.

He can’t trade Brannstrom because it’s the return for Stone. And we can’t have six defencemen within a couple years of each other.

Personally I think drafting two forwards gets us into competitiveness quicker. Someone is going to have to actually put the puck in the net at some point.

Not an easy decision for sure.

Last edited:

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

I respect your opinion man. To me, the only thing Byfield and L. Brown have in common is their size, and vision/passing ability.

The big problem with L. Brown is that the nhl is all about skating ability now. Logan Brown has not shown that he has the ability to skate at nhl level, whereas Byfield's skating is.. well.. in the words of Trump.. tremendous, fantastic, great, the best ever. All joking aside, Byfield definitely needs to work on his posture while skating, but that can be fixed with the right coaching. L. Brown was drafted 4 years ago, and maybe it's time for him to try with a different organization; Byfield will be in the Nhl after next year as an impact player.

Lastly, I am with you on Stutzle.. I do have him ranked above Byfield. I haven't watched enough of his play in Mannheim, but I think he could just about challenge Lafreniere for the 1OA. Laf played in the Q against boys, Stutzle is entrusted by his coach to run the powerplay in a men's league.. and dominates... at 17 years old.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Whats wrong with a player taking time? The team isnt going to be good for a few years anyway. All that matters is what the player becomes and if Byfield hits his prime he is going to be better than Lafreniere.

Byfield is also nothing like Logan Brown. He is a way better prospect, much stronger and faster at a younger age. Speaking of Logan Brown I expect he starts making an impact next season anyway

Agreed. In some ways, Rossi is probably more ready to perhaps step in as a support player in the NHL next year than most of the other players in the top 10 other than Laf, and I would still have him #8 on my list. NHL readiness is very low on the list of considerations. Byfield getting another year in the OHL makes total sense, although not against giving him 5-9 games to learn about NHL life. But I doubt we see that scenario with an abbreviated season next year. And Stutzle is also unlikely ready for next year, although I'm sure he might get a look.

In some ways, I'd prefer if we pick two forward that they don't play in the NHL next year, and the coaches can spend more time evaluating players like Brown, Norris, Abramov, Formenton, Balcers and others. And obviously if we take Drysdale or Sanderson, both of those guys need a couple of years I'd say and then they'd be ready to compete for a top 4 role.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Drysdale is great but we’re going to have a real logjam at D which means we have to rely on Dorion getting value for the prospects that don’t fit.

He can’t trade Brannstrom because it’s the return for Stone. And we can’t have six defencemen within a couple years of each other.

The cap ceiling being stalled for three years should make this a bit easier on PD.

Reactions: NyQuil

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I respect your opinion man. To me, the only thing Byfield and L. Brown have in common is their size, and vision/passing ability.

The big problem with L. Brown is that the nhl is all about skating ability now. Logan Brown has not shown that he has the ability to skate at nhl level, whereas Byfield's skating is.. well.. in the words of Trump.. tremendous, fantastic, great, the best ever. All joking aside, Byfield definitely needs to work on his posture while skating, but that can be fixed with the right coaching. L. Brown was drafted 4 years ago, and maybe it's time for him to try with a different organization; Byfield will be in the Nhl after next year as an impact player.

Lastly, I am with you on Stutzle.. I do have him ranked above Byfield. I haven't watched enough of his play in Mannheim, but I think he could just about challenge Lafreniere for the 1OA. Laf played in the Q against boys, Stutzle is entrusted by his coach to run the powerplay in a men's league.. and dominates... at 17 years old.
Ok well see how Byfield turn. Hopping i,m wrong

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I’m torn on Byfield and Stutzle.

Stutzle seems more ready and may be the more dynamic, exciting and versatile player.

But part of me salivates at the idea of Byfield and Tkachuk running over defencemen in the playoffs.

And yes, I get the RD/LD thing but you can only have so many puck carrying defencemen.

Personally I think drafting two forwards gets us into competitiveness quicker. Someone is going to have to actually put the puck in the net at some point.

Not an easy decision for sure.

I have the feeling a few of our defensive prospects are going to either falter, or max out as 4/5D guys, so adding another defenseman like Drysdale/Sanderson is a-ok. Can never have enough strong D.

Although, I am really starting to think the smart move might be to move Branstrom asap. I'm not really convinced he has the wheels to survive as an undersized blueliner in the NHL. Getting a good piece for him now might be a shrewd move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad