Post-Game Talk: 5th annual Prospects Challenge set for September 6-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Hopefully they will stream the games online. I feel like previous years have been hit or miss...some games were streamed, others weren't.
The Sabres already announced that their games will be streamed but only for people in their TV market which doesn't help most of us.
Hopefully the Bruins step up and make their games available for all...but I am not holding my breath.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Hopefully they will stream the games online. I feel like previous years have been hit or miss...some games were streamed, others weren't.
The Sabres already announced that their games will be streamed but only for people in their TV market which doesn't help most of us.
Hopefully the Bruins step up and make their games available for all...but I am not holding my breath.

iirc usually we only get to see vs Buffalo because they are the only ones to stream it. Maybe NJ, but I'm 50/50 on that

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Good news: NJ is supposedly streaming all their games from their official site.

Bad news: They play the B’s Monday morning at 9am.

The Devils' website says the stream will only be available "within the Devils region". I think last year some kind souls managed to broadcast the local team streams on YouTube so anyone could watch...hopefully someone does the same this year.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Sabres make sense since it's in Buffalo. Bruins? No sense. It sucks. The interest is enough to warrant a stream of some kind. I'm not saying every game, but a couple would be nice.

Playing devil's advocate, there are three options: Go all-out and get Jack and Brick for a semi-full production, which would be way too expensive for a pre-preseason game. (For reference, NESN benched Orsillo and Remy as a "vacation" for some regular season baseball games specifically so they could do more off-season features, IIRC, and they weren't thrilled by it at the time.) Or you could just go ultra-cheap, toss up the arena feed with no commentary. The middle ground would be to get some second-tier announcers in there - maybe there's a contractual issue that prevents that? Either way, there's the danger of "brand dilution" with those last two ideas - if your name's going on a production, you want it to be good.

I'll definitely be seeing if there are feeds somewhere, but I can understand how interest is minimal. If NESN isn't showing all the preseason games, why do the prospects? Way more interest in the Patriots and even the struggling Red Sox right now.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Can someone explain to me the downside in streaming this?

I'm sure there are costs associated with setting up the stream in the arena, updating bruins.com to show it, monitoring it during the game, etc. and there's likely not much opportunity to make money off of it aside from putting some ads on the website (which would require thousands if not millions of viewers to make any real money from).
I have no idea how much all of that would actually cost for 3 games (a couple thousand dollars?) but I am sure it is a drop in the bucket for one of the most valuable franchises in the NHL.
Who knows, maybe they have looked at how many people have streamed these games (or preseason games) before and it is a pretty small number so they feel all the work/cost just isn't worth the effort.
Nonetheless, it still sucks for passionate fans who enjoy following prospects and don't have an opportunity to see most of these guys play that often.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm sure there are costs associated with setting up the stream in the arena, updating bruins.com to show it, monitoring it during the game, etc. and there's likely not much opportunity to make money off of it aside from putting some ads on the website (which would require thousands if not millions of viewers to make any real money from).
I have no idea how much all of that would actually cost for 3 games (a couple thousand dollars?) but I am sure it is a drop in the bucket for one of the most valuable franchises in the NHL.
Who knows, maybe they have looked at how many people have streamed these games (or preseason games) before and it is a pretty small number so they feel all the work/cost just isn't worth the effort.
Nonetheless, it still sucks for passionate fans who enjoy following prospects and don't have an opportunity to see most of these guys play that often.

I think they can afford it.

Reactions: Fenian24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad