Post-Game Talk: 5th annual Prospects Challenge set for September 6-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My thoughts from watching the final two games of the tourney:

Good:
-- I only saw Bjork in one game but he looked to be on a different level than everyone else. That is a bit to be expected but it was good to see. Hopefully he carries the play into the season.
-- Studnicka was the second most notable player. He showed off his skill, played well defensively, and showed more grit/nastiness than I remember. He definitely needs to clean up the turnovers though. He made a few too many blind passes to the other team.
-- I thought Vaakanainen was really good as well. He showed his usual solid defensive play but seemed more involved offensively than we have seen in the past.
-- I liked Lauko as well. His speed and tenacity stand out every time I see him. He was also constantly getting into it after the whistle as well.
-- Steen was good in the first game I saw (2g, 1a) but was a bit less noticeable in the final game. Still had his moments but inconsistent (which is normal for young players).
-- Zech showed a lot of confidence with the puck on his stick. It'll be interesting to see him develop in Providence this year.
-- Asselin was constantly mixing it up with the other team and made some nice plays as well (including a PP goal vs Buffalo).
-- Hannoun is tiny but he stood out among the camp invites. He had a couple points and was surprisingly physical given his size. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot in Providence.
-- All of the goalies seemed fine to me. None of the goals I saw would I consider 'soft' as the majority of them came on the PP or odd man rushes.

Not so good:
-- I thought Andersson looked OK for the most part but he had 2 brutal giveaways right to the other team leading to a 2-on-0 and 2-on-1. We'll see how he does in camp (I thought he looked good in the preseason last year) but the QMJHL is looking more likely in my opinion.
-- Shen was essentially invisible. I don't recall a single play he made in the 2 games I watched.
-- Koppanen is pretty meh. It wouldn't surprise me if he was back in Finland before the end of the season.
-- Sherman is basically the defensive version of Koppanen...just kinda there and if you notice him, it's more likely because of a screw up than him actually making a good play (though good on him for dropping the gloves). Given the defensive depth in Providence, he'll probably be seeing a lot of the press box (or even possibly the ECHL).
Good wrap up
I'll add Scott Conway and Robert Lantosi both on AHL deals had their moments and I wouldn't be opposed to signing a few more of these guys,we'll see if any gets invited to the main camp or Providence camp

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Good wrap up
I'll add Scott Conway and Robert Lantosi both on AHL deals had their moments and I wouldn't be opposed to signing a few more of these guys,we'll see if any gets invited to the main camp or Providence camp

Voyer and Woods would make good wings for a fourth line in Providence, I think Voyer may have a bit of a future as a Wagner level talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->