Post-Game Talk: #57 FLYERS 5 at Wild 4, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019, 8:00 pm ET

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Gordon getting close to the playoffs seems to have changed his coaching style?

Not that I agree with this but maybe he was just testing things out and didn't like what he was seeing with certain guys. This is two coaches (not good coaches IMO) that bury TK on the 4th line. There's gotta be something there.

Reactions: marcsson68

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Ghost alone was having these terrible turnovers, I would say there is something to worry about with him however it’s the entire defense. So unless guys like Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim all forgot how to play hockey or are all terribly overrated, there might be a team system element at play that some better coaching could fix.

Ghost is the one getting his ice time reduced on purpose though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I guess Ghost is just always going to have this stigma about him where he finds himself in hot water when he struggles, but why was he the one that got demoted from the top pair? Why was he briefly demoted on the PP? Why wasn’t Provorov held to the same standard? Why was he afforded the opportunity to work through his struggles?* Two different coaches. Two different GMs. Same thought process on the matter.

*It was the right thing to do, but it’s a bit of a double standard.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Ghost was probably the best player on the team on Monday, and then he has a horrendous first period. But he recovers with 2 great shots that look like old Ghost on the PP. He has 3 assists in the past two games.

I've never seen a defensemen who is so easily vilified for his mistakes. Every defensemen makes them, very few top guys get benched for 1/2 his normal playing time.

Ghost continues to make uniquely Gostisebeherian good plays in just about every game he plays, and rarely gets credit for them. He's still better than Provorov, and Provorov has started to play well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And it defies reason

It can't defy too much reason in their view, because the team is playing well as a whole without much production from him. If he's not producing offensively, then his mistakes become more magnified, and if he's not as reliably defensively, then they become more magnified than that. Gordon has been clear with players thus far as to what he's looking for when their ice time gets cut, so the challenge is there for him to give him whatever he's looking for. If the answer is 'wait for power plays,' then this probably doesn't end well.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
It can't defy too much reason in their view, because the team is playing well as a whole without much production from him. If he's not producing offensively, then his mistakes become more magnified, and if he's not as reliably defensively, then they become more magnified than that. Gordon has been clear with players thus far as to what he's looking for when their ice time gets cut, so the challenge is there for him to give him whatever he's looking for. If the answer is 'wait for power plays,' then this probably doesn't end well.

The other defenders aren’t any more reliable than Gostisbehere in the defensive zone and they mostly lack the offensive upside he has.

Only other skater who should challenge Gostisbehere for the highest TOI is Sanheim.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Ghost played 11 mins, huh?

TK played 10 mins?

Gordon getting close to the playoffs seems to have changed his coaching style?

Provy played 30?

That’s not acceptable. Provy gets rest at T and C and the comes back lights out. Then we play him into the ground again and give Ghost such little minutes. Didn’t believe you so I looked it up myself. Hagg should not have 6 minutes more than Ghost in a game that the top pair is playing half the game. I’m not sure what Ghost said about that play but I thought it was just an error like Provy has. The puck hit off the stick wrong. Meanwhile amac gives away the puck like it’s on purpose and he’s brought right out again.

If Ghost alone was having these terrible turnovers, I would say there is something to worry about with him however it’s the entire defense. So unless guys like Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim all forgot how to play hockey or are all terribly overrated, there might be a team system element at play that some better coaching could fix.

100%. The breakouts and zone entries are generally weak and lead to the other team having possession. Gordon is a proven failure at the NHL level so it’s fine if he’s let go. He’s the right placeholder for Q anyway.

As a big critic of Voracek, I liked him last night. All of the positives without that drive killing turnover. I think if he takes his risk level down a notch or two he will still be dangerous and skilled. He usually figures it out for a long stretch so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him be very solid for a little while now which is good news.

Reactions: BernieParent

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
For as well built and solid on his skates as he is, I still see Provorov get dummied in the defensive zone. He also makes blunders with the puck with awkward stick handling. So why is he seen as reliable while Gostisbehere is seen as soft and risky?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For as well built and solid on his skates as he is, I still see Provorov get dummied in the defensive zone. He also makes blunders with the puck with awkward stick handling. So why is he seen as reliable while Gostisbehere is seen as soft and risky?
Because hockey dinosaurs hate skill and love stereotypes.

There's probably people who actually believe Hagg is better defensively than Ghost, which really says it all.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'd rather have Mac in than Hagg, and I think it might be by quite a wide margin. Hagg is really pissing me off lately.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Another facet of the Gostisbehere struggles is that it highlights the need for the team to work on new breakout strategies rather than have the defensemen try to fling 40' passes to stationary forwards. Short passes to teammates with speed is used to effect by the majority of strong teams. I know that the hit-the-scoreboard method of zone clears was a major knock against Gordon as the Phantoms coach.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Another facet of the Gostisbehere struggles is that it highlights the need for the team to work on new breakout strategies rather than have the defensemen try to fling 40' passes to stationary forwards. Short passes to teammates with speed is used to effect by the majority of strong teams. I know that the hit-the-scoreboard method of zone clears was a major knock against Gordon as the Phantoms coach.

Yep. Few of the Flyers' forwards are actually good at zone entries, so it would really help if they could be crossing center ice with speed.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

This is why Myers will be so fun...he's such a ready skater that he's more than comfortable hoofing the puck out of the zone to far blueline if he can get a forward to wrap around behind him. Very very good at it, and used his wheels to move the puck up ice often even under Gordon.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Not that I agree with this but maybe he was just testing things out and didn't like what he was seeing with certain guys. This is two coaches (not good coaches IMO) that bury TK on the 4th line. There's gotta be something there.
TK isn't playing well right now. 9 pts in 10 games is good but so many bad turnovers and no rough and tumble fast hockey like last year at all. He'll get it back soon.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think the Flyers will get 34-36 points and finish with 93 or 95. We'll see if that'll be enough. Hart should start 20, Stolie 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00