Post-Game Talk: #55 Ducks 2 at FLYERS 6, Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And actually, I'll even play along to further prove how weak the anti-Ghost argument is.

INCLUDING this fluke season

RESULTS.

f6b85c2df1f70b3ed430f355537fe693.png

Reactions: TheKingPin

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
First of all Von Hayes was an outfielder the majority of his career. And he was supposed to a be a franchise player to build around. He was a complete disaster who never drove in 100 runs and was a career .260. He is the poster boy of the terrible ownership of Bill Giles who set back that franchise a decade.

First of all I never implied he was a great player, so take don't things out of context.

Second of all he put up decent numbers for baseball in the 1980's.
35 HR's was a possible HR crown total, overall the hitting numbers seemed less impressive.

The bottom line the 5 for 1 trade turning into Franco for Hayes. Was it a good trade? no, I'd rather have Franco. Was it a disaster? no it wasn't.

As I stated Hayes was a legitimate starting player for a good team, nothing more,. Just because he didn't meet expectations doesnt mean he was a disaster or sucked.

Your response is typical of the normal extreme thinking of Philly fans. Everything is good or sucked.

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019
The entire point was that before this fluke year he has shown plenty of "results", so showing all his results prior to this year was what made sense.

He had TWO amazing incredible seasons...absolutely the best seasons as a defenseman since Howe. So when someone selectively says "Don't forget those TWO great seasons", the same can be said about the "TWO struggling seasons". Again I am not advocating trading Ghost for nothing, I'm not even the GM of the Flyers I can't, but if someone poses the hypothetical question of would you trade him then MY opinion is yes if it made the team better.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He had TWO amazing incredible seasons...absolutely the best seasons as a defenseman since Howe. So when someone selectively says "Don't forget those TWO great seasons", the same can be said about the "TWO struggling seasons". Again I am not advocating trading Ghost for nothing, I'm not even the GM of the Flyers I can't, but if someone poses the hypothetical question of would you trade him then MY opinion is yes if it made the team better.
Nobody is ignoring the two down years, even with them included he's an elite player who we can't afford to lose.

That's all I'm saying.

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019
Nobody is ignoring the two down years, even with them included he's an elite player who we can't afford to lose.

That's all I'm saying.

Well I hope he becomes elite because the Flyers could use him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But he is saying, the chances of finding that is almost ZERO when you take everything into account. Things like cap hit, contract length, team needs.

Hell....we have our top 6 for next year and 8 of 9 most likely. So trading him for the 1 forward we need means we don't need anything in FA. Of course we now are going to ice Hagg and AMac again...or and rookies Myers and Morin. What could go wrong.

I would rather Ghost have another season like this, and have someone like Myers pass him on the depth chart, then trade him away and he have a season like last year for someone else. I just don't think you realize what a great value his contract is....even in his down years.

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019
He already is.

Great players have down years too, and it’s especially understandable when you consider the context of this season.

That's fine because that's your opinion, but I judge on consistency.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
12th is not good enough.... we have Provy, Sanheima and Myers who can do that.

:confused:
I have really high hopes for those guys, but there’s no way you trade an elite player in the HOPE that they can one day be as good and fill his shoes.

And even if they can, you keep them all and dominate the league. He’s cheap enough to never worry about.

Reactions: Tripod

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I have strict criteria of jerseys I buy as Hart and soul kind of guys. So far over several decades that’s Primeau and Simmonds. I was going to get Richards before he was traded. I think Hart is next. I never thought I’d be wearing a goalie jersey. The kid is incredible.

I would love a Nashville type defense core

Top 4
Subban
Josi
Ekholm
Ellis

Bottom Pair
Hamhuis
Weber/Irwin

The problem I see is not the bottom pair, but the Flyers don't have the top 4

I think the Flyers do. Pretty similar really. They are all just younger. I mean Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, Myers, Morin may be the best young D Corp in the league.

Ghost was dicked around by that idiot Hak in his 2nd year and was often chained to MacDonald; but by the last few months of the season, he found his game again.

I expect him to do that again this season, as soon as he gets away from MacDonald and assuming hes not injured.

If he can start hitting the net he will be a lot better. He is lacking confidence as a result of the production drop. He could figure it out and get going again.

Haha Barrie -65 in 3 years. It’s crazy how good Josi is.

Our biggest need for next year on the roster....is a winger. And 7 of the top 8 scoring UFA's right now are guys who can play wing.

Maybe we should wait to see how free agency shakes out before trading guys who we have no replacement for.

Trade Simmonds. Trade Raffl. And I will be happy.

100%. I’d be ok if we used Ghost to upgrade the D and someone ok if he got us a special forward type but I personally think the D looks great for the future and am hoping we can land a guy like Panarin or Stone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But he is saying, the chances of finding that is almost ZERO when you take everything into account. Things like cap hit, contract length, team needs.

Hell....we have our top 6 for next year and 8 of 9 most likely. So trading him for the 1 forward we need means we don't need anything in FA. Of course we now are going to ice Hagg and AMac again...or and rookies Myers and Morin. What could go wrong.

I would rather Ghost have another season like this, and have someone like Myers pass him on the depth chart, then trade him away and he have a season like last year for someone else. I just don't think you realize what a great value his contract is....even in his down years.
Yeah, even if he never hits 60+ again, his contract would just become “fair” instead of “ridiculous steal”.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Von Hayes Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Julio Franco Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Von Hayes for Julio Franco

Bad trade, yes

Traded an all star caliber player for his era and received a good player the same era.

Should be consider a disaster? I don't think so but it depends on your opinion of Julio Franco.

But back to the original argument of Von Hayes not being a "bad player who sucked"
He clearly was not a bad player.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reminder....we have 1 Dman who has ever recieved Norris votes....and it's not Provy. Provy has NEVER received even 1 vote.

Ghost has finished 10th and 17th in voting in those elite years.

Has he been consistent? No. But christ we pay AMac more than we pay Ghost for god's sake. At 4.5 million, I will take the yo-yo seasons if every 2nd one is that elite.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019

The Flyers have many value contracts...Couturier, Simmonds for a few years and Provorov for two. Then we have two unknowns who are suddenly moving up the depth chart without playing any games. Then no one wants to trade Ghost because he is 25 going to be 26, that's like trading Coots when he 24, yet 24 year old 20 more games Hagg is trash lets get rid of him...it's the lopsided thinking that gets me.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
And actually, I'll even play along to further prove how weak the anti-Ghost argument is.

INCLUDING this fluke season

RESULTS.

f6b85c2df1f70b3ed430f355537fe693.png
A lot of those guys play VERY prominent roles on their teams. A lot of Norris winners. It’s surprising Ghost has scored at his rate considering.

We have one of the best all time flyer forwards in G. Ghost is already high on the D list. Hart looks like he will be right up there for goalies. Exciting stuff.

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019
Reminder....we have 1 Dman who has ever recieved Norris votes....and it's not Provy. Provy has NEVER received even 1 vote.

Ghost has finished 10th and 17th in voting in those elite years.

Has he been consistent? No. But christ we pay AMac more than we pay Ghost for god's sake. At 4.5 million, I will take the yo-yo seasons if every 2nd one is that elite.

I don't think that is fair to compare AMac's contract, I would rather have Folin at 700K than MacDonald at 5M. How much is Seth Jones making? I think using more comparable players would be better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers have many value contracts...Couturier, Simmonds for a few years and Provorov for two. Then we have two unknowns who are suddenly moving up the depth chart without playing any games. Then no one wants to trade Ghost because he is 25 going to be 26, that's like trading Coots when he 24, yet 24 year old 20 more games Hagg is trash lets get rid of him...it's the lopsided thinking that gets me.
Sorry, who are the 2 unknowns you are referring to?

Did you see the Hagg stats that were posted showing how awful he has been defensively?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A lot of those guys play VERY prominent roles on their teams. A lot of Norris winners. It’s surprising Ghost has scored at his rate considering.

We have one of the best all time flyer forwards in G. Ghost is already high on the D list. Hart looks like he will be right up there for goalies. Exciting stuff.
Yeah, when you consider he’s there, in spite of his down year, it’s extra impressive. Shows what he’s capable of.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019
Sorry, who are the 2 unknowns you are referring to?

Did you see the Hagg stats that were posted showing how awful he has been defensively?

Myers and Morin I consider unknown at this point until I see them play in the NHL. Normally 100 games is fair before judgement.

No, could you post them again or tell me where to look? These aren't analytical adjusted stats that show shot attempts is it?

Reactions: magnumpi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad