Post-Game Talk: #55 Ducks 2 at FLYERS 6, Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Came in here for the post game thread and all I see is ghost trade talk. You guys are crazy.

I can see Pitt being utter scumbags and taking a run at Hart. I’ll literally hunt down that fat slob kessel.

Thankfully that POS Neal is gone. Don't worry, our fat slob will fight their fat slob if need be :box:

Reactions: klutch and Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Should of traded Coots when he only had 34 points as a 24 year old.

Difference is before Couts got top wingers and put up points, he had elite metrics for two years, and advanced metrics are primarily predictive, not descriptive.

Ghost has improved his metrics, but he's not an elite defenseman, neither is Provorov yet, but he has that kind of upside, Ghost doesn't.

The closest comparable to Ghost is Mark Streit, don't think so, same size and similar skills (Streit came over from Switzerland at age 28). And no one has ever suggested that Streit was an elite defenseman, Streit had seasons of 62, 48, 46, 44 points.

From 30-37 (prorating the strike year) averaged: ES 5-21 PP 6-20, Total 11-41 52
Streit finished 8th, 10th and 13th in Norris voting.

Ghost his first four years (prorating his rookie year and this year): ES 7-18, PP 6-19, Total 13-37 50

Here's the crazy thing, we got Streit at age 36 for a 4th rd pick, gave us seasons of 44 and 52 points before he started breaking down at age 38, at which time we traded him for a 4th and 7th rd pick and Filppula's contract.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Thankfully that POS Neal is gone. Don't worry, our fat slob will fight their fat slob if need be :box:

Penguins-Lightning got a little tasty tonight, people were throwing. Sid actually tried to drop with Tyler Johnson but TJ kinda turtled. I'd like them to bring some of that same energy Monday, get a rough one to really take this streak up a notch.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Penguins-Lightning got a little tasty tonight, people were throwing. Sid actually tried to drop with Tyler Johnson but TJ kinda turtled. I'd like them to bring some of that same energy Monday, get a rough one to really take this streak up a notch.

If the refs allow it. I was a little annoyed that they didn't let Gudas and Perry go.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Difference is before Couts got top wingers and put up points, he had elite metrics for two years, and advanced metrics are primarily predictive, not descriptive.

Ghost has improved his metrics, but he's not an elite defenseman, neither is Provorov yet, but he has that kind of upside, Ghost doesn't.

The closest comparable to Ghost is Mark Streit, don't think so, same size and similar skills (Streit came over from Switzerland at age 28). And no one has ever suggested that Streit was an elite defenseman.

Huh? Mark Streit at his peak was a very good #1 defenseman.

He finished in the top 13 for Norris voting & end of season AS selection for 3 straight seasons and regularly polled above Timonen in polls on HF (which I remember well, having argued with people that Kimmo was the better player). If Ghost gives us peak Mark Streit level play (all at a 4.5 million dollar caphit), it would be pure idiocy to trade him.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

He finished in the top 13 for Norris voting & end of season AS selection for 3 straight seasons and regularly polled above Timonen in polls on HF (which I remember well, having argued with people that Kimmo was the better player). If Ghost gives us peak Mark Streit level play (all at a 4.5 million dollar caphit), it would be pure idiocy to trade him.

All this does is confirm that to some people, Ghost can never be a number 1 or top pairing defenseman because he doesn't fit the archetype that they believe those player should be.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

The closest comparable to Ghost is Mark Streit, don't think so, same size and similar skills (Streit came over from Switzerland at age 28). And no one has ever suggested that Streit was an elite defenseman, Streit had seasons of 62, 48, 46, 44 points.

From 30-37 (prorating the strike year) averaged: ES 5-21 PP 6-20, Total 11-41 52
Streit finished 8th, 10th and 13th in Norris voting.

Ghost his first four years (prorating his rookie year and this year): ES 7-18, PP 6-19, Total 13-37 50

Here's the crazy thing, we got Streit at age 36 for a 4th rd pick, gave us seasons of 44 and 52 points before he started breaking down at age 38, at which time we traded him for a 4th and 7th rd pick and Filppula's contract.
Member when people said he was a "young" mid 30's D man bc of low wear n tear.....yeah how did that work out....

It saddens me that Ghost's play has not been too good and that he is seen as trade bait...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All this does is confirm that to some people, Ghost can never be a number 1 or top pairing defenseman because he doesn't fit the archetype that they believe those player should be.
Yeah, there's people who hate scoring and think that being elite offensively means you're automatically bad defensively.

It's wrong, but they're so set in that mindset that they can't see Ghost for what he really is. It's the same kind of unappreciative mindset that has people taking guys like Giroux, Voracek, and Couturier for granted.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Would Carolina take 2 firsts and a mid-level prospect for Dougie Hamilton? If something like that happens I'd be amenable to trading Ghost for an elite winger with term. Who that would be, I have no idea. Jonathan Marchessault? Ondrej Kase?

And that's only if we can't get one of the big-ticket items in free agency, like Panarin, Stone or Duchene.

But really, I don't ever want to trade Ghost. I don't think he's playing well recently and has had a bad season in general, but he's still been pretty good - 52.3% Corsi +3.4% REL. If this is his worst season he's going to have a great career.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Yes, but that's not elite. Doughty is elite, EK is elite, etc.
Streit was very good, but at ES on the Islanders actually played less than MacDonald or Martinek.
When he put up 62 points in Montreal, he was the 3rd pair D-man at ES, playing 11:48 a night but running the PP.
Which is potentially Ghost's role if he stays on the Flyers, with Provorov, Sanheim, Myers getting more ES minutes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would Carolina take 2 firsts and a mid-level prospect for Dougie Hamilton? If something like that happens I'd be amenable to trading Ghost for an elite winger with term. Who that would be, I have no idea. Jonathan Marchessault? Ondrej Kase?

And that's only if we can't get one of the big-ticket items in free agency, like Panarin, Stone or Duchene.

But really, I don't ever want to trade Ghost. I don't think he's playing well recently and has had a bad season in general, but he's still been pretty good - 52.3% Corsi +3.4% REL. If this is his worst season he's going to have a great career.

I'm not sure Hamilton would even cost that much, he cost a 1st (#15) and (2) 2nds when Boston traded him in 2015.
He was 21, coming off a 42 point season, cost controlled.
Now he has two years left at $6M a year. FA at 28.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Streit was very good, but at ES on the Islanders actually played less than MacDonald or Martinek.
When he put up 62 points in Montreal, he was the 3rd pair D-man at ES, playing 11:48 a night but running the PP.
Which is potentially Ghost's role if he stays on the Flyers, with Provorov, Sanheim, Myers getting more ES minutes.

Why does Ghost need to be elite? At 4.5 million he can be a Streit and be the best Dman value in the league by a mile.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

Which means that if Ghost gives us peak Streit-level play for his 4.5 million dollar caphit through 22-23, it's a complete steal, and that it would be absolutely idiotic to trade him except in a deal for an elite defenseman (or for a legit 1C or a franchise-level winger), right?

Like, the last thing we want to do at this juncture is downgrade and trade Ghost for the average top line winger, or a 1st, a prospect, and bottom half roster player, right?

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

IIRC, Johnson was trying to get up.

Crosby is just a lot bigger and stronger.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Like, the last thing we want to do at this juncture is downgrade and trade Ghost for the average top line winger, or a 1st, a prospect, and bottom half roster player, right?

Have I proposed that?

I don't even know if they would trade Ghost, all I've suggested is that he's in a group of players they'll listen to offers.
I think if he were to be moved, it would be part of a trade or series of trades to add a top 4 RHD to balance the defense, not because they're unhappy with him.
In the same fashion, JVR or Voracek would be traded only to free up cap room for a free agent and/or balance out the top three lines.
Everyone can't play with Couts at center.

But if Fletcher wants to reshape the roster, to add value he'll need to give value, whether a big FA contract and/or a big trade.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Have I proposed that?

There's a reason I framed it as a question -- I have no idea what your thoughts on the matter are.

I'm not completely opposed to trading Ghost. I'm completely opposed to trading him for things that don't make sense to trade him for, which is almost everything. The list of things it does make sense to trade him for is an exceedingly small one (an even better dman, a legit 1C, a franchise winger) and it's not highly likely that such a deal would be available, and we'd likely need to add additional assets in the event such a deal was available.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
If the Flyers get Hamilton, Karlsson or any other productive RHD, I’m keeping Gostisbehere to play LD.

Gostisbehere is, has been, and likely always will be better than Provorov. He will soon be cheaper over the next 4 years.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad