Post-Game Talk: #55 Ducks 2 at FLYERS 6, Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't think there's actually any evidence that Hamilton is available. It's just that, in the wake of so many people saying we need a top 4 defenseman, the options are really limited. The guys I would want who MIGHT be available are like, Karlsson, Hamilton, Parayko - a true generational talent/inner-circle HOF guy and two 6-foot-6 RHD guys, I'll make room for them. I'm not really interested in guys like Pietrangelo (overrated) or Stralman (too old) or Trouba (will be too expensive).

Those guys honestly probably aren't that available; Karlsson probably re-signs in SJ, Blues have no real reason to trade Parayko, Carolina looks great right now and Hamilton is doing fine.

Provorov-Hamilton
Sanheim-Gudas
Gostisbehere-Myers

I love the idea of this defense actually; 5 true puck movers and 3 real RH shots, and no MacDonald or Hagg. Sorry, Big Sam.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
In a league where young d-men are a hot commodity people want to trade for a 25 year old on his 3rd team, who was traded twice in 4 seasons. Calgary couldn't wait to get rid of the guy

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
In a league where young d-men are a hot commodity people want to trade for a 25 year old on his 3rd team, who was traded twice in 4 seasons. Calgary couldn't wait to get rid of the guy

Hamilton got traded by the same Boston brain trust that OKd the Seguin trade for raisons minus Chiarelli. He got traded from Calgary because the team needed to make a "shakeup" move and its new coach wanted some of his Carolina guys. The whole "he's been traded twice" nonsense is the silliest reason I've ever heard for not wanting a player.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hamilton got traded by the same Boston brain trust that OKd the Seguin trade for raisons minus Chiarelli. He got traded from Calgary because the team needed to make a "shakeup" move and its new coach wanted some of his Carolina guys. The whole "he's been traded twice" nonsense is the silliest reason I've ever heard for not wanting a player.

I agree with this. Its not like he has had locker room issues reported (that im aware of, anyway) besides the whole wanting to go see museums thing. And if thats the worst case, that the guy would want to go see some art instead of doing some other random activity with a few teammates, i can respect that.

I wouldnt mind having Hamilton on the team, because i do think he is/can be a good player. But I dont consider Ghost for him for a second.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
When Seguin was traded he wasn't exactly the poster boy for fine outstanding young winger, he was criticized for lackluster play and office issues. Maybe the trade helped him grow up ala Patrick Sharp. All I hear on this board is how there's a shortage of right handed dmen, well I find it hard to belief that Hamilton had been traded because the first gm was a "doofus" and the 2nd just wanted his buddies from Carolina. Hamilton's complete level and complacency with losing have been questioned along with not being a fit in the locker room

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Isn’t it interesting that Provorov isn’t recieving any of this irrational hate and trade proposals?

He was easily worse than Ghost up until the all star break, so why aren’t we panicking and trying to dump him....?

Could it possibly be that players who score a lot (especially defensemen) get stereotyped in a way that can’t be shaken? And no matter how they play, some people will never reevaluate and judge them according to how they actually play?

Hmmmmmmm...

(Obviously neither player should be traded, it’s just interesting to see the undeserved hate some get and others avoid)

You mean the defenseman who put up 17 ES goals and 36 ES points at age 21? And in an "off season" at 22 will probably match or exceed his rookie year 25 ES points?
If all my "defensive" defensemen score like that I'll be very happy.

Ghost at ES, 24, 16, 32, 10.

The real question is whether Sanheim can QB PP1 (and whether Ghost will ever do so at the same level as last year).
Of course, they're all just keeping the spot warm until Zamula arrives in two years. :D

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There were locker room issues reported with Hamilton.

Did Dougie Hamilton's love of museums get him traded?

I would still consider him depending on the price, but for a 25 year old, 40 point RHD to be on his 3rd team already, makes you wonder.

You convenient left out the the rest of that sentence where i specifically say "besides the whole wanting to go see museums thing. "

The initial problem with the Bruins was the money/term he wanted. If the Flames traded him because he decided to indulge in the arts as opposed to going to the canadian equivalent of Applebee's, shame on them. The dude has a well noted love of the arts and was academic even in the OHL days. Thats hardly a character issue.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I mean whatever you want to say about Hamilton and character issues, you can't say he hasn't helped Carolina. The Flames seem to have gotten the better of the trade, but it's also believed that they improved their coaching staff by getting Carolina's coach. Of all the players involved in the trade, Lindholm's stock has risen the most with a ppg season. Yet Carolina is also improved from last season.

The Hurricanes' defense is playing very well this season. As usual with this team, it's the goalies and the shooting % that have kept them from being elite. Hamiltons' Corsi is 59%, the best of anyone on the team with more than 30 games played. This is a player you take all day any day.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Difference is before Couts got top wingers and put up points, he had elite metrics for two years, and advanced metrics are primarily predictive, not descriptive.

Ghost has improved his metrics, but he's not an elite defenseman, neither is Provorov yet, but he has that kind of upside, Ghost doesn't.

The closest comparable to Ghost is Mark Streit, don't think so, same size and similar skills (Streit came over from Switzerland at age 28). And no one has ever suggested that Streit was an elite defenseman, Streit had seasons of 62, 48, 46, 44 points.

From 30-37 (prorating the strike year) averaged: ES 5-21 PP 6-20, Total 11-41 52
Streit finished 8th, 10th and 13th in Norris voting.

Ghost his first four years (prorating his rookie year and this year): ES 7-18, PP 6-19, Total 13-37 50

Here's the crazy thing, we got Streit at age 36 for a 4th rd pick, gave us seasons of 44 and 52 points before he started breaking down at age 38, at which time we traded him for a 4th and 7th rd pick and Filppula's contract.

Streit is an age anomaly, and in his first years with Montreal he shuffled back and forth between forward and defense. He didn't have close to the pedigree of Gostisbehere and I would question whether he ever had the game- (and ankle-) breaking moves that put our youngish Shayne on one highlight reel after another.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Saying Calgary got the better of the trade is putting it mildly. As well as Lindholm being over a PPG, Hanifin has outscored Hamilton.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You convenient left out the the rest of that sentence where i specifically say "besides the whole wanting to go see museums thing. "

The initial problem with the Bruins was the money/term he wanted. If the Flames traded him because he decided to indulge in the arts as opposed to going to the canadian equivalent of Applebee's, shame on them. The dude has a well noted love of the arts and was academic even in the OHL days. Thats hardly a character issue.

You're leaving out the part where he got mad when they waived his brother who shouldn't have been on the team in the first place.

Francis: Long overdue Hamilton split a blessing for Flames

It was evident long ago Freddie was the benefactor of the leverage Dougie had after the Flames gave up a first-round pick and two second-rounders to acquire him and then had to sign him.

Not only did Dougie land a six-year, US$34.5-million deal, he clearly also used his influence to prompt GM Brad Treliving to make a minor-league trade for Freddie months later.

Where it got silly was when the Flames inked him to a two-year, one-way deal giving Freddie $612,000 anually despite showing few signs of being capable of ascending to a starting gig.
In 38 games with the Flames over parts of three seasons he had three goals and two assists in a fourth-line role.

By all accounts a hard-working, well-liked player in the dressing room, Freddie was simply in over his head.

The fact that he ate up a roster spot couldn’t have sat well with many players in the room who knew exactly what was going on.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You're leaving out the part where he got mad when they waived his brother who shouldn't have been on the team in the first place.

Francis: Long overdue Hamilton split a blessing for Flames

It was evident long ago Freddie was the benefactor of the leverage Dougie had after the Flames gave up a first-round pick and two second-rounders to acquire him and then had to sign him.

Not only did Dougie land a six-year, US$34.5-million deal, he clearly also used his influence to prompt GM Brad Treliving to make a minor-league trade for Freddie months later.

Where it got silly was when the Flames inked him to a two-year, one-way deal giving Freddie $612,000 anually despite showing few signs of being capable of ascending to a starting gig.
In 38 games with the Flames over parts of three seasons he had three goals and two assists in a fourth-line role.

By all accounts a hard-working, well-liked player in the dressing room, Freddie was simply in over his head.

The fact that he ate up a roster spot couldn’t have sat well with many players in the room who knew exactly what was going on.

Even if we pretend that he asked for them to acquire him - which is ridiculous at best since Dougie had almost no leverage when he signed that deal, and to the best of my knowledge, Freddie Hamilton is not in the Canes system today - the flames signing his brother is on them. Any discord that brought to the locker room is the Flames' issue of giving a player an NHL contract when they didnt deserve one, not a primadonna move by a young RFA.

Flyers traded Luke Schenn away and by no reports was it a locker room issue for Brayden.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Exactly. Brayden handled it like a pro. Dougie did not.

What did he do that was unprofessional? Refuse to answer questions about it when being pressed?

One could argue he was being more professional by not letting the media make a circus out of it, and instead just insist on talking about the team, and not him personally.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hamilton is one of the best ES defensemen in the league.

The only area of Ghost’s game where he tops Hamilton is points, & even that isn’t so clear cut.

They are tied in points this season at 22, even though Ghost has 50% more PP time.

Last season Ghost had 65 pts vs. Ham’s 44, though Ham had 17 goals to Ghost’s 13.

Two seasons ago, Ham outscored Ghost 50-39.

For the advanced stats guys, Hamilton tops Ghost in just about everything.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Streit is an age anomaly, and in his first years with Montreal he shuffled back and forth between forward and defense. He didn't have close to the pedigree of Gostisbehere and I would question whether he ever had the game- (and ankle-) breaking moves that put our youngish Shayne on one highlight reel after another.

Problem is Ghost doesn't have those moves anymore, and it's 2 years after surgery.
People look at Ghost through their rookie perceptions, and don't see the player he's become, less explosive, smarter, more disciplined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad