Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I'm finding what these guys have to say very interesting myself... there is a few examples of overlooked Russian players.

I can believe a fan when they say any hardcore Russian fan knew just from watching these guys enough how little they were being scouted.

Now this stuff happens in the North America still as well, with guys like Point and Garland who are overlooked despite excellent stats.

But it's hard not to think there is an advantage to be had out there by scouting the Russian leagues hard instead of just doing what most teams are.

Sounds like the stars aligned for the Jets to steal a middle six Russian forward with everything you want in a role pkayer. We will see how it goes for him.

And if the Jets end up taking Russian talent a little more often. Especially in the middle rounds where there often seem to be some hidden gems.
Jets saw an opportunity in Russia and have run with it.

Reactions: GNP and AlaskaJet

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Kid has some nice mitts on him.

Love the Lucius pick, but it's funny that we could have also had Svechkov too.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
The next season will be interesting. If SKA continues their policies Chibrikov will probably split time between the KHL and VHL.

Chibrikov did end up in the VHL, after 4 regular season games in the KHL at the beginning of the year in which he saw little ice time and scored no points.

Chibrikov has been very productive in the VHL: 9 goals and 16 points in 14 games, good for 7th in the league in points per game, and 4th in goals per game. He's by far the youngest player on the list of league scoring leaders -- no one else in the top 15 is younger than 22, while Chibrikov is only 18.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-12-at-5-27-40-PM.png

The VHL is like the AHL, a 2nd tier pro league mostly for adult players, with fewer teenage prospects. So it's hard to find too many comparisons for Chibrikov's scoring pace at his age in the VHL.

But one source (The NHLE Calculator) estimates the VHL as a 0.38 NHL equivalency, compared to 0.47 for the AHL.

That would suggest Chibrikov's production this year would be roughly equivalent to 13 points in 14 games (0.924 points per game) at the AHL level. That's even better than Cole Perfetti's scoring pace in the actual AHL as an 18 year-old last year: 26 points in 32 games (0.813 points per game).

In other words, Chibrikov's production in a men's league as an 18 year-old so far has arguably been more impressive than Perfetti's was for the Moose last year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 5.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 5.27.40 PM.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 4

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Chibrikov did end up in the VHL, after 4 regular season games in the KHL at the beginning of the year in which he saw little ice time and scored no points.

Chibrikov has been very productive in the VHL: 9 goals and 16 points in 14 games, good for 7th in the league in points per game, and 4th in goals per game. He's by far the youngest player on the list of league scoring leaders -- no one else in the top 15 is younger than 22, while Chibrikov is only 18.

The VHL is like the AHL, a 2nd tier pro league mostly for adult players, with fewer teenage prospects. So it's hard to find too many comparisons for Chibrikov's scoring pace at his age in the VHL.

But one source (The NHLE Calculator) estimates the VHL as a 0.38 NHL equivalency, compared to 0.47 for the AHL.

That would suggest Chibrikov's production this year would be roughly equivalent to 13 points in 14 games (0.924 points per game) at the AHL level. That's even better than Cole Perfetti's scoring pace in the actual AHL as an 18 year-old last year: 26 points in 32 games (0.813 points per game).

In other words, Chibrikov's production in a men's league as an 18 year-old so far has arguably been more impressive than Perfetti's was for the Moose last year.

Svechkov (Chibrikov's teammate who was drafted right after Lucius) is coming on and should be joining him up there soon, but something I would like to note is that the VHL has only existed for 13 years vs 85 for the AHL. We have a lot more data on the AHL and the VHL is only recently being seen as a place to develop U20 players for the KHL. That's just to say to take the VHL eNHL numbers with a grain of salt. They're still figuring themselves out and going through a lot of changes. I love that we have Perfetti and Chibrikov as prospects, but I'd be wary about saying that Chibrikov's season is more impressive than Perfetti's season last year.

With that being said, if Chibrikov does end up being better than Perfetti, that's a massive win for us. Perfetti has continued to be very impressive for the Moose.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Just an update on one of my favorite prospects Nikita Chibrikov.

He led his VHL team (Russia's equivalent of the AHL) in points per game. He finished with 31 pts in 28 games. He was 2nd on his team with 10 pts in the post season.

Since his VHL team got eliminated from the playoffs, he was sent to play for Russia's top Junior League (MHL) where he got 3 goals today including the OT winner.

Got a hat-trick (including OT winner) in the first game of the MHL finals:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He led his VHL team (Russia's equivalent of the AHL) in points per game. He finished with 31 pts in 28 games. He was 2nd on his team with 10 pts in the post season.

Since his VHL team got eliminated from the playoffs, he was sent to play for Russia's top Junior League (MHL) where he got 3 goals today including the OT winner.
A man playing with boys -

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Really cool update thanks. Yea this kid looks like a stud.

A man playing with boys -

I was going to post the exact same thing.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
During the 2021 draft…… when it came to the Jets 2 nd round pick, they had to take a time out and ask for extra time before they chose him. They were so surprised that he was still on the board.

It’s like getting upgraded to an extra late 1 st inn2021. I saw one mock draft where Lucius and Chibrikov were rated to be taken 15 and 16 over.

So it’s like we got a 2 for 1 special!

With all this Russian backlash going on. I wonder how that will affect his timing for coming over to North America.

What’s his current Russian contract status?

with the current Exchange rate and the Ruble in trash can…… I would think even an AHL pay check and annual $$92500 signing bonus on a 3 year ELC would look pretty good right now!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
During the 2021 draft…… when it came to the Jets 2 nd round pick, they had to take a time out and ask for extra time before they chose him. They were so surprised that he was still on the board.

It’s like getting upgraded to an extra late 1 st inn2021. I saw one mock draft where Lucius and Chibrikov were rated to be taken 15 and 16 over.

So it’s like we got a 2 for 1 special!

With all this Russian backlash going on. I wonder how that will affect his timing for coming over to North America.

What’s his current Russian contract status?

with the current Exchange rate and the Ruble in trash can…… I would think even an AHL pay check and annual $$92500 signing bonus on a 3 year ELC would look pretty good right now!

Yes - but the Ruble is not in the trash can. Rising oil prices have got it right back to where it was pre-invasion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad