Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was wholly impressed and even thrilled by this kid in the young stars tourney. He reminded me of another diminutive Nikita.

His shot, agility and skill are extremely exciting. His ability to work himself into great shooting positions and his work up top on the pp were impressive. You also have to love his willingness, or even desire to get his nose dirty - he's not going to be a wilting flower out there.

I'm probably way too excited about him but I wouldn't be surprised if he found his way on to the Jets roster at some point this year. He seems like he came to the Young Stars determined to get a roster spot.

A guy who could play either wing and be a true pp qb could really open up a lot of possibilities for the Jets and could solve our issue of maybe being one shy of a pretty impressive top 6.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I was wholly impressed and even thrilled by this kid in the young stars tourney. He reminded me of another diminutive Nikita.

His shot, agility and skill are extremely exciting. His ability to work himself into great shooting positions and his work up top on the pp were impressive. You also have to love his willingness, or even desire to get his nose dirty - he's not going to be a wilting flower out there.

I'm probably way too excited about him but I wouldn't be surprised if he found his way on to the Jets roster at some point this year. He seems like he came to the Young Stars determined to get a roster spot.

A guy who could play either wing and be a true pp qb could really open up a lot of possibilities for the Jets and could solve our issue of maybe being one shy of a pretty impressive top 6.

Great post, sums up what I saw exactly and he was the MiniJets high point of the series for me.

Lacks the insane top end of a young Ehlers but has plenty of agility to balance that out and a brain that seems to be a step or two ahead of the play at that level at least. Like Ehlers also part of his dynamism involves being right in the mix of play, and like Perfetti he can get there early.

I think I noted this in the thread yesterday, but the replay of his goal briefly showed the shot from what must have been very close to his perspective, and he had very little net to find with that snipe. Had to be a quick, precise and deceptive release. And it was.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I was most impressed by his willingness to compete. He wasn't happy when he rang them off the crossbar, he wasn't happy in the earlier games and got physical. looks like a guy that just cares about winning and wants to do whatever he can to win

I don't want to get too excited about him but its hard not too. Easily the most pro ready prospect at the tourney this year. He got better and better as the games went along and was dominant in that 3rd game.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was most impressed by his willingness to compete. He wasn't happy when he rang them off the crossbar, he wasn't happy in the earlier games and got physical. looks like a guy that just cares about winning and wants to do whatever he can to win

I don't want to get too excited about him but its hard not too. Easily the most pro ready prospect at the tourney this year. He got better and better as the games went along and was dominant in that 3rd game.
I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, and I don't want to draw comparisons strictly based on a players origin, but Kucherov seems to be similarly competitive. I play hockey at the Lightning practice facility, and more often than not, Kuch is on the ice before us, either with a couple other players or a coach or trainer and he's just practicing stuff like edgework and one t's. For an established player like him that's dedication. I also know him to get mad, sometimes pout, and come alive when he gets riled up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree. Comparing him to the Flames' Coronato in that tournament, and Chibrikov was clearly a cut above.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, and I don't want to draw comparisons strictly based on a players origin, but Kucherov seems to be similarly competitive. I play hockey at the Lightning practice facility, and more often than not, Kuch is on the ice before us, either with a couple other players or a coach or trainer and he's just practicing stuff like edgework and one t's. For an established player like him that's dedication. I also know him to get mad, sometimes pout, and come alive when he gets riled up.

I heard a good interview with the Lightning trainer (from Winnipeg) who has been there since day 1 and he was talking about Marty St Louis and Kuch being the two hardest working players that he has seen on the Bolts.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I heard a good interview with the Lightning trainer (from Winnipeg) who has been there since day 1 and he was talking about Marty St Louis and Kuch being the two hardest working players that he has seen on the Bolts.

You don't get to be the best without doing whatever it takes to be the best.

The likes of Crosby, Kariya etc all had ridiculous work ethic and drive to improve off the ice.

I remember reading Kariya's biography growing up and outside of his regular training he'd work at perfecting one thing in the summer. He learned to juggle just to improve his hand eye coordination among things he did.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
You don't get to be the best without doing whatever it takes to be the best.

The likes of Crosby, Kariya etc all had ridiculous work ethic and drive to improve off the ice.

I remember reading Kariya's biography growing up and outside of his regular training he'd work at perfecting one thing in the summer. He learned to juggle just to improve his hand eye coordination among things he did.
Didn’t Laine perfect Fortnite.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think Chibrikov will be a star player for the Jets. He has speed, a lot of poise with the puck, and has a great shot. Could be a big steal of a pick for the Jets.
Nope, the Jets have too many 1st round draft picks (Barlow, McG, BBB, Lucius) with top 6 reservations. He will have to make it as a 3rd line checking guy or a 4th line energy guy, or head back to the KHL. This is the Jets way. :nod:

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Nope, the Jets have too many 1st round draft picks (Barlow, McG, BBB, Lucius) with top 6 reservations. He will have to make it as a 3rd line checking guy or a 4th line energy guy, or head back to the KHL. This is the Jets way. :nod:
Jets with 2nd round picks:

snail-get-out.gif

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

I love that he looks at Kucherov and says "I don't want to be like him, I want to take everything that's good about him and add it to what I already am". He has a ton of confidence and a star mindset.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I saw the exact same thing as you, and I believe he'll be a regular in the Jets lineup ( at some point) this upcoming season.

Reactions: nhlpro

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I assume the plan is to have him play on the Moose this season? Hopefully the kid has a good season. I love the Kuch stylistic comparisons but Kucherov was at another level at the same age when he put up 24 points in his first 17 AHL games and got promoted to the Bolts. I would be happy if Chib can have a solid season in the AHL.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I assume the plan is to have him play on the Moose this season? Hopefully the kid has a good season. I love the Kuch stylistic comparisons but Kucherov was at another level at the same age when he put up 24 points in his first 17 AHL games and got promoted to the Bolts. I would be happy if Chib can have a solid season in the AHL.

Yes, as excited as I am for this kid he still wasn't able to make a dent in the KHL the last two seasons so some patience is likely needed.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I also really like this kids game -
Haven't seen a ton of him but he strikes me as the type of player that can turn it up when he wants to - in other words, when motivated.
If that's the case, a potential NHL opportunity (sooner rather than later - but I don't want to get ahead of myself), might be what it takes to really see what he can do.
Like I said, I don't want to get too excited about this player but he might be one of those that flew under the radar - and we needs picks like that when drafting in the mushy middle.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also really like this kids game -
Haven't seen a ton of him but he strikes me as the type of player that can turn it up when he wants to - in other words, when motivated.
If that's the case, a potential NHL opportunity (sooner rather than later - but I don't want to get ahead of myself), might be what it takes to really see what he can do.
Like I said, I don't want to get too excited about this player but he might be one of those that flew under the radar - and we needs picks like that when drafting in the mushy middle.

I also have high hopes for him but it looks to me like a little excessive exuberance based on the YS tourny.

It would be great to get a top 6 or even mid 6 F out of the 2nd rd. But he still has quite a way to go.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, as excited as I am for this kid he still wasn't able to make a dent in the KHL the last two seasons so some patience is likely needed.
It's hard to project based on KHL usage as a teenager. Young prospects get very little usage overall, and even less if they are heading to the NHL the following season (as Chibrikov was). He has produced well at the lower levels in Russia (MHL and VHL).

I wasn't sure what to expect, but he looks like he has dynamic skill. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the AHL level. I don't see him as that far away from the NHL, considering his skillset and his willingness to engage.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Because they have no interest in developing players for another league. He wouldn't commit to staying in the KHL, so they traded him and 8 other pieces for a player that had already committed. Including Svechkov, drafted 1 spot after Lucius.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad