Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup. One more high end prospect in the first next year and I like our pool again.

It is very hard to project as far as 4 years ahead in the NHL. Players burn out, or are traded, or leave to FA, etc. And counting prospect chickens before they hatch is a fools errand. :laugh: But I think it is possible to make up a hypothetical roster, just to show some possibilities.

Ehlers - Dubois - Lucius
Connor - Perfetti - Chibrikov
Harkins - Scheifele - Vesalainen
Torgersson - Gustafsson - Smith

Heinola - Pulock
Morrissey - Pionk
Stanley/Samberg/Chisholm - DeMelo/Lundmark/Kovacevic

Hellebuyck
Holm

:laugh: We still have a hole at 1RD. But we have 3 years to find one.
OK, just for fun, I am going to say we sign Pulock as a UFA. :D Solved!

With 6 Dmen named for the 3rd pair, there will be some action there. Some prospects will fail to make the grade. Some might move up higher. Or some might establish themselves and push out an incumbent. There are also a couple of other D prospects who may still make it too. So we should have depth at D.

I don't think I left out any likely F so there is no real depth there, but that shouldn't be an issue. We will always be able to sign depth players in FA.

There will be another 3 draft classes to add to this lot. Some picks and prospects may be traded in the meantime. Or not. But that might just lead to a couple of different names on that list.

The shakiest part of that plan is goal. Helle might have 10 more years in him, or 2. Very hard to predict and no clear successor in sight yet.

This is obviously a very shaky projection. Any one going that far into the future will be. But it shows that our window is not limited to the current contracts of Scheifele, Helle, etc.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The Mandela effect once again. When was it ever difficult to get a russian prospect out of Russia?

ALL Russians who are any good and play in Russia have at draft day a contract in the KHL. Many of them still get drafted high. Really high. Much higher than Kaprizov.

Kaprizov was skipped over for 4 rounds by ALL NHL teams while being a 1st round talent and it was known in Russia. Only not to NHL scouts it seems. He has not dropped to the 2nd or even the 3rd because of all that imaginary bullcrap you are talking about. He was picked in the 5th.

Picking a 1st round talent in the 5th is being completely wrong with the evaluation of his talent.

Yeah, yeah, alll Russians are enigmatic and evil. Who knows how to deal with their dark souls.:sarcasm:

If talent is not the issue a player does not fall to the 5th. Ask Mailloux.

He's done everything right with his development. Ever thought of the fact that the reason he came not after 4 or 5 years(he could have done that in terms of being ready to play in the NHL) was BECAUSE he was picked in the 5th? What reasons did he have to believe the team trusts in him and wants him to succeed and won't treat him like a throwaway like so many Russians before him? So he decided to make some money in Russia first. Good for him.

LOL "Threatening"? If a good'ol canadian boy negotiates a new contract and wants it on his terms it's business, nothing personal. If the Russian does that though...:sarcasm: Is he meddling with the elections by any chance?

He is not threatening or whatever. The whole rumor is a media creation, but you believe it. How about due to the COVID season and the CBA he has no other options(which he would usually have)? His contract is up. Under normal circumstances he would have been the usual RFA. And it would be his perfect right to sign with another team if Minnesota is not willing to give him his terms(whch are pretty obvious. He wants a short term contract). Right now his options are just resigning wth the Wild and going back to Russia. What's wrong with him not willing to accept everything Minnesota offers? This is not the Radulov situation. And the most important part is he does not want to go back to Russia. He wants to stay with Minnesota. It's all about contract terms. And if his agent is using every leverage he has, then what's wrong with that?

It is you who is bending the facts. Panarin was not a later round pick, he went undrafted, a completely different scenario. Yes, he wasn't a homerun at draft day, BUT he was the guy who's had 9 points in 20 KHL games. That's pretty effing good for a guy that young. He was also great in russian juniors that year. But why would NHL scouts care to look there, right? Okay, they decided he is not even worth a late round pick. But you know, drating overagers with some late picks is a thing. You'd think. He more than doubled his production in the KHL and was essential in Team Russia winning the WJC. But yet again, all NHL teams do not want to use even a 7th round pick on that guy. They crapped the bed. It is as simple as that. And even on the day he finally came to the NHL ALL North Americans projected him wrong.

You don't understand what you are talking about. I am better than the NHL scouting on those Russians. Not because I am good at it I am as good as any other russaian hockey fan at it, an amateur, but because they literally do nothing. They elect to not do their job in Russia. It is by now a well known story about scouting Kaprizov for example. It was all by accident. They never heard of the player, they never watched him. But all they needed to do was not even asking some experts in Russia. Every single hockey fan could have told them about Kaprizov. They just chose to not waste their precious time and energy on scouting Russians. If you do that you end up with those crap shots in the dark because doing nothing as a pro-scout is still worse than just watching hockey as a casual fan.

Well, yeah, I am arussian fan who is not aware of the number of Russians in the NHL. Of course:sarcasm:

The problem with the NHL is that every year they spend draft picks on guys even a casual fan as I've already said would tell them to stay away from and instead use pretty high picks on guys who have little chance of success. It's not a single case, not a bad pick here and there, it's a systemic failure. Extremely puzzling pick of Russians by the NHL are rather the norm. Not all of them of course, but there are some every year and it obviously not due to some GM or scout having a bad day, but because they don't have good, reliable input on the prospects in Russia.
It's funny you are talking about the Mandella Effect in the context of a player it took 6 years to get out of Russia.

Why do you think Kaprizov was skipped over for lower ranked Russians including 5 who were playing in Russia? Maybe because he let it known in his interviews that the NHL wasn't a priority because he was happy in the KHL?

You seem to really want to project your own bias on to other people and push this false narrative on to others. Those 5 other lower ranked (by NHL Scouting) home grown Russians is proof. Makes your silly little "all Russians are evil" straw men as nothing more than your own projection. Seems to me he was treated as an individual.

For some reason you keep pushing Kaprizov as a mistake in talent evaluation when the NHL agrees with you that he was a 1st round talent ranked #29. I already mentioned this but you seem to be blind to it as it goes against this false narrative your are pushing.

You bring up Mailloux form some reason. You want to act like that was a universal choice and not just one idiot franchise. Just another example of you being blind to the point to push you narrative. Or is this just building to your "good ol Canadian boy" straw man that only you talk about? . Kaprizov was happy in Russia. There was always a chance he wasn't going to come to the NHL or at least wait. Seems like he was happy there more than anything. Ill trust Ovi when he told kuznetsov that the money is better in the NHL, so it probably wasn't that. Maybe the NHL isnt/wasn't his dream. That is up to him and I don't hold it against him.

Yes, it is widely reported he is using the KHL as leverage. I think the Wild would be making a big mistake to ignore this. No one has said there is anything wrong with that (more straw men). I guess you can call Karpizov a liar, maybe youn are right but you give nothing other than your narrative to base this on. I don't know what this has to do with Canadians or Russian election meddling. I guess it's just more red herrings and straw men and garbage you need to build to push this narrative.

I'm sorry I wasn't keeping up with you moving the goal posts with Panarin. We were talking about your brilliance in scouting Russian draft picks. But hey if you want to ignore all the underrated and undrafted late bloomers from around the world and make this about "evil Russians meddling in elections" or whatever your points is, I don't even know at this point, go ahead.

Another wasted paragraph bragging about your brilliance in Russian scouting that is just false because you have no clue what you were talking about. Once again you have a literal bind spot, he was a 1st round pick by NHL Scouting. But you want to say he wasn't scouted? Ok bud, you are so far behind at this point you only think you are winning. But you are a Russian fan so you know everything. You seem to be an example of someone who can't see the forest from the trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It is very hard to project as far as 4 years ahead in the NHL. Players burn out, or are traded, or leave to FA, etc. And counting prospect chickens before they hatch is a fools errand. :laugh: But I think it is possible to make up a hypothetical roster, just to show some possibilities.

Ehlers - Dubois - Lucius
Connor - Perfetti - Chibrikov
Harkins - Scheifele - Vesalainen
Torgersson - Gustafsson - Smith

Heinola - Pulock
Morrissey - Pionk
Stanley/Samberg/Chisholm - DeMelo/Lundmark/Kovacevic

Hellebuyck
Holm

:laugh: We still have a hole at 1RD. But we have 3 years to find one.
OK, just for fun, I am going to say we sign Pulock as a UFA. :D Solved!

With 6 Dmen named for the 3rd pair, there will be some action there. Some prospects will fail to make the grade. Some might move up higher. Or some might establish themselves and push out an incumbent. There are also a couple of other D prospects who may still make it too. So we should have depth at D.

I don't think I left out any likely F so there is no real depth there, but that shouldn't be an issue. We will always be able to sign depth players in FA.

There will be another 3 draft classes to add to this lot. Some picks and prospects may be traded in the meantime. Or not. But that might just lead to a couple of different names on that list.

The shakiest part of that plan is goal. Helle might have 10 more years in him, or 2. Very hard to predict and no clear successor in sight yet.

This is obviously a very shaky projection. Any one going that far into the future will be. But it shows that our window is not limited to the current contracts of Scheifele, Helle, etc.

Good looking lineup. I’d add Wong as the 13th forward rotating in. I think he has some pretty good potential as a skilled agitator.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Lol get bodied Atas. No idea why you’re coming in this subforum to try and push your narrative but it aint working here :popcorn:

Chibrikov is gonna be amazing when he comes to Winnipeg c:

Reactions: GNP

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lol get bodied Atas. No idea why you’re coming in this subforum to try and push your narrative but it aint working here :popcorn:

Chibrikov is gonna be amazing when he comes to Winnipeg c:
That's kind of rude. I've really enjoyed reading the insights from the Russian posters visiting who actually watch Chibrikov regularly, as well as their view on "the Russian factor" in drafts.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
That's kind of rude. I've really enjoyed reading the insights from the Russian posters visiting who actually watch Chibrikov regularly, as well as their view on "the Russian factor" in drafts.

Some people just have no idea how to interpret or handle a more assertive personality, which is what atlas appears to be. The style doesn't always click with me either but that is most certainly a me problem, it does not mean the content isn't quality. I have also enjoyed the insight from Russian posters, like atlas. The internet makes this possible and I welcome it. As well as Finnish, Swedish, and all other perspectives....it is pretty damn cool.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's funny you are talking about the Mandella Effect in the context of a player it took 6 years to get out of Russia.

Why do you think Kaprizov was skipped over for lower ranked Russians including 5 who were playing in Russia? Maybe because he let it known in his interviews that the NHL wasn't a priority because he was happy in the KHL?

You seem to really want to project your own bias on to other people and push this false narrative on to others. Those 5 other lower ranked (by NHL Scouting) home grown Russians is proof. Makes your silly little "all Russians are evil" straw men as nothing more than your own projection. Seems to me he was treated as an individual.

For some reason you keep pushing Kaprizov as a mistake in talent evaluation when the NHL agrees with you that he was a 1st round talent ranked #29. I already mentioned this but you seem to be blind to it as it goes against this false narrative your are pushing.

Kaprizov wasn't ranked a 1st round talent at #29. NHL Central Scouting separates rankings for NA and International players.
Kaprizov was ranked #29 amongst international players.

Atas isn't wrong on this. A lot of NHL teams have no idea what they're doing regarding Russian talent.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Kaprizov wasn't ranked a 1st round talent at #29. NHL Central Scouting separates rankings for NA and International players.
Kaprizov was ranked #29 amongst international players.

Atas isn't wrong on this. A lot of NHL teams have no idea what they're doing regarding Russian talent.
Ok, I'll hear it. Tell me about what is being missed in scouting Russians and why is it just Russians specifically? Who are all these Russians the NHL is missing out on and why? I'd like to hear some facts other than people are worried about Russians interfering in elections because I'm not buying that without some serious proof.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ok, I'll hear it. Tell me about what is being missed in scouting Russians and why is it just Russians specifically? Who are all these Russians the NHL is missing out on and why? I'd like to hear some facts other than people are worried about Russians interfering in elections because I'm not buying that without some serious proof.

Reasons? Ignorance and persistent stereotypes. The NHL isn't the most progressive entity in the world. Teams are run by dinosaurs whose mentality is 15 years behind the curve sans a few like Tampa. That said, the same holds true in Russia. :laugh:
Plus the country is enormous. It's very unlikely teams have the resources to cover the entire country, so they just skim the top focusing on traditional hotbeds. That said, with video available these days, geography shouldn't be a hinderance at all. Who knows.
Combine all this into one package and it's how 5 guys are taken before Chibrikov. It's lunacy.

Want a recent example of this stupidity? 5 Russian goalies were taken this draft. Yea ok I'm aware that we've become somewhat of a goalie hotbed, but anybody with half a brain knows the draft crop of Russian goalies this year sucks. Still the line of thinking seemed to resemble "Russia is turning out the goalies like hotcakes, we gotta get in on that action!" I mean we had MHL backups and some dude from the NAHL drafted, meanwhile really good forwards like Bardakov and Guslistov, etc. were just sitting there waiting to be taken. Even then, the best goalie in the MHL (Guskov) wasn't even drafted. It makes no sense whatsoever. Might as well put names on a wall and threw darts at them to get the pick.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Reasons? Ignorance and persistent stereotypes. The NHL isn't the most progressive entity in the world. Teams are run by dinosaurs whose mentality is 15 years behind the curve sans a few like Tampa. That said, the same holds true in Russia. :laugh:
Plus the country is enormous. It's very unlikely teams have the resources to cover the entire country, so they just skim the top focusing on traditional hotbeds. That said, with video available these days, geography shouldn't be a hinderance at all. Who knows.
Combine all this into one package and it's how 5 guys are taken before Chibrikov. It's lunacy.

Want a recent example of this stupidity? 5 Russian goalies were taken this draft. Yea ok I'm aware that we've become somewhat of a goalie hotbed, but anybody with half a brain knows the draft crop of Russian goalies this year sucks. Still the line of thinking seemed to resemble "Russia is turning out the goalies like hotcakes, we gotta get in on that action!" I mean we had MHL backups and some dude from the NAHL drafted, meanwhile really good forwards like Bardakov and Guslistov, etc. were just sitting there waiting to be taken. Even then, the best goalie in the MHL (Guskov) wasn't even drafted. It makes no sense whatsoever. Might as well put names on a wall and threw darts at them to get the pick.
I don't know enough to really disagree. Other than to say my assumption there is some faith in Russian training from what we have seen from Russian goaltenders over the last decade (about) . Maybe they trust their interviews with players and coaches? On top of that no one really knows with goaltending.

I will say I appreciate your example being more on the negative side rather than just an all Russians are great type example. I'm not anti Russian. I just don't see Russia as the great unknown as it was in the 80s or 90s.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know enough to really disagree. Other than to say my assumption there is some faith in Russian training from what we have seen from Russian goaltenders over the last decade (about) . Maybe they trust their interviews with players and coaches? On top of that no one really knows with goaltending.

I will say I appreciate your example being more on the negative side rather than just an all Russians are great type example. I'm not anti Russian. I just don't see Russia as the great unknown as it was in the 80s or 90s.

The one other thing I found interesting in the Mark Hillier interview post draft was how they had to modify their scouting process this past season. One of the most distinctive changes was the switch to custom video clips and also how all the North American guys who were sitting idol were helping scout the active euro leagues. Sounds like for the first time ever a much broader cross section of their team were “all eyeballs on Eastern and Western Europe” and all of a sudden we have a draft that seemed to reflect it.

I think just shifting the collective team onto a new territory could help build that strong consensus around a guy like Chibrikov after day 1 of the draft.

This interview isn’t as direct on the topic as Hillier’s Jets TV post draft interview but it’s still good.

Last edited:

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Nikita Chibrikov played a game today. The Russia U20 (potential World Junior players) is playing vs KHL teams in a pre-season tournament.

KHL - Avangard Omsk - 4
U20 - Russia - 1

Chibrikov scored the only goal for the U20 squad. He was on the first line and had Svechkov as his centre.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I'm finding what these guys have to say very interesting myself... there is a few examples of overlooked Russian players.

I can believe a fan when they say any hardcore Russian fan knew just from watching these guys enough how little they were being scouted.

Now this stuff happens in the North America still as well, with guys like Point and Garland who are overlooked despite excellent stats.

But it's hard not to think there is an advantage to be had out there by scouting the Russian leagues hard instead of just doing what most teams are.

Sounds like the stars aligned for the Jets to steal a middle six Russian forward with everything you want in a role pkayer. We will see how it goes for him.

And if the Jets end up taking Russian talent a little more often. Especially in the middle rounds where there often seem to be some hidden gems.

Reactions: hn777 and John Agar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->