Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Can we wait until we at least see this kid in an NHL exhibition game before we anoint him "the next kucherov" lol?

I'll admit I fell for the same thing last year with Lambert after his tantalizing camp/preseason performance

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Can we wait until we at least see this kid in an NHL exhibition game before we anoint him "the next kucherov" lol?

I'll admit I fell for the same thing last year with Lambert after his tantalizing camp/preseason performance

Yeah I'm in this vamp too. Seeing some dominance at the junior level is an indication these guys can belong at the NHL level soon.

Based off their pedigree and production to date, neither Chibby or Lambert look like they profile as top 6 guys.

I'll never say never, just not sure there is room on the team for either these guys any time soon. Rooting for that to be wrong though!

Reactions: surixon and Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Not even exhibition for me. These guys have to show production at the AHL level for me. I don't read much of anything into preseason hockey when they are up against either fringe players or vets going through the motions.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah I'm in this vamp too. Seeing some dominance at the junior level is an indication these guys can belong at the NHL level soon.

Based off their pedigree and production to date, neither Chibby or Lambert look like they profile as top 6 guys.

I'll never say never, just not sure there is room on the team for either these guys any time soon. Rooting for that to be wrong though!

Agree that both are likely a ways away from being difference-makers at the NHL level, especially on a Bowness-coached team.

Also agree that in the meantime both show interesting skillsets and drive that are worth being excited about.

It's been a while since we've had 1-2 prospects to be excited about, let alone 5-8 (including Salamonster, Barlow, Lucious, McRoars, DD, Milic, etc).

Tp paraphrase Mich'al Caine -- "The Jets have been rich in prospects and poor in prospects. I know which one I prefer."

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Not sure if this is directed at me but I was simply drawing some parallels.

He's just as likely to be a Burmistrov.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

There are actually 12 scoring forward positions available on each team.
The problem has always been that our coaches think that there are only 6.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Almost all of the NHL plays this way, not just the JJets. What makes the best bottom six guys is when skill guys like Chibby adapt their game to be simple and defensively sound.

Once they do that, that's usually what unlocks their upside as top six guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That and a lack of talent and cap space to fill 12 forward positions with players that can actually score with some regularity at the NHL level. There is a reason goal scorers get paid, as it is the hardest thing to do in hockey.

Reactions: thereturn

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Because they have no interest in developing players for another league. He wouldn't commit to staying in the KHL, so they traded him and 8 other pieces for a player that had already committed. Including Svechkov, drafted 1 spot after Lucius.

Quit making things up.
Chibrikov didn't play alot because he was hot garbage last year. He really struggled away from the puck at KHL level, and tried to do too much by himself with it.

On the contrary, his teammate Svechkov (who he was traded with for Nikishin) also started out slow but gained the coach's confidence as the year progressed. He was averaging 14 min/game by mid January onwards despite Spartak knowing he wasn't gonna re-sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Quit making things up.
Chibrikov didn't play much because he was hot garbage last year. He really struggled away from the puck at KHL level, and tried to do too much by himself with it.

On the contrary, his teammate Svechkov (who he was traded with for Nikishin) also started out slow gained the coache's trust as the year progressed. He was averaging 14 min/game by mid January onwards despite Spartak knowing he wasn't gonna re-sign.
Well, we do like our Burmi’s here. 😊
Hopefully Chibrikov learns what Burmistrov never did.

Reactions: Zine

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Well, we do like our Burmi’s here. 😊
Hopefully Chibrikov learns what Burmistrov never did.
It's always interesting looking back. Burmistrov was drafted 8th overall the year before Scheifele was drafted 7th overall.

Burmi played in the NHL straight out of junior hockey, whereas Bambi was sent back to the OHL twice before making the Jets' team in 13-14. By that time, Burmi was already failing, had 'Burmed his bridges' in NA and was back in the KHL. He did eventually return to the NHL but never came close to reaching his promise. Meanwhile, Scheifele (despite what I and others have said about his defensive game) has scored more PPG than anyone else in the the first round of his draft class.

Tough to predict trajectories early-on, but fascinating to watch.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's always interesting looking back. Burmistrov was drafted 8th overall the year before Scheifele was drafted 7th overall. He was flashy as hell and played in the NHLstraight out of junior hockey.

Bambi was sent back to the OHL twice before making the Jets' team in 13-14. By that time, Burmi was already failing, had Burmed his bridges in NA and was back in the KHL. He did return to the NHL but never came close to reaching his promise.

Tough to predict, but fascinating to watch.

Chibrikov and Burmistrov are polar opposite style players.

Imo Burmistrov was badly rushed into the NHL, which, as a young guy, hindered his untapped offensive development.
He was an arrogant guy and always fancied himself to be more of an offenisve player, yet never had the developed skills to be one.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Chibrikov and Burmistrov are polar opposite style players.

Imo Burmistrov was badly rushed into the NHL, which, as a young guy, hindered his untapped offensive development.
He was an arrogant guy and always fancied himself to be more of an offenisve player, yet never had the developed skills to be one.
I'll accept most of that about Burmi, but clearly he, like Chibrikov, showed considerable skill to be drafted that high.

Speaking of Chibrikov, whom you have described as "hot garbage last year", how do you project him as a potential NHL player?

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quit making things up.
Chibrikov didn't play alot because he was hot garbage last year. He really struggled away from the puck at KHL level, and tried to do too much by himself with it.

On the contrary, his teammate Svechkov (who he was traded with for Nikishin) also started out slow but gained the coach's confidence as the year progressed. He was averaging 14 min/game by mid January onwards despite Spartak knowing he wasn't gonna re-sign.
Whatever happened last season, Chibrikov looks really good so far.

Svechkov had only 4 points in 27 KHL games last season, despite getting a lot more ice-time?

Reactions: sipowicz and STZD

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'll accept most of that about Burmi, but clearly he, like Chibrikov, showed considerable skill to be drafted that high.

Speaking of Chibrikov, whom you have described as "hot garbage last year", how do you project him as a potential NHL player?

Chibrikov is kind of a wild-card, imo.

He's oozing with talent, but needs to decide what type of player he is .
He was always a mega-skilled perimeter player with a lot of holes in his game.
But he seemed to turn the corner the season after his draft year. He was awesome on VHL's Neva St. Pete. He was engaging physically in the O-zone....forchecking,,,driving the net...taking his time instead of always shooting when under pressure.
He was on the 1st line with Michkov and Khusnutdinov at the Covid cancelled WJC.

But last year he regressed big time with Spartak. For whatever reason he stopped doing what made him great the year before. A 19-year old playing one-dimensional junior style hockey just isn't gonna cut the mustard at KHL level.

Whatever happened last season, Chibrikov looks really good so far.

Svechkov had only 4 points in 27 KHL games last season, despite getting a lot more ice-time?

Click on "games in KHL" to see Svechkov's game-by-game usage.
Svechkov Fyodor:Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

But he seemed to turn the corner the season after his draft year. He was awesome on VHL's Neva St. Pete. He was engaging physically in the O-zone....forchecking,,,driving the net...taking his time instead of always shooting when under pressure.
He was on the 1st line with Michkov and Khusnutdinov at the Covid cancelled WJC.

But last year he regressed big time with Spartak. For whatever reason he stopped doing what made him great the year before. A 19-year old playing one-dimensional junior style hockey just isn't gonna cut the mustard at KHL level.

Quoting you: "On the contrary, his teammate Svechkov (who he was traded with for Nikishin) also started out slow but gained the coach's confidence as the year progressed. He was averaging 14 min/game by mid January onwards despite Spartak knowing he wasn't gonna re-sign".

Svechkov played 300 minutes (4 points), averaged 11 min/game.
Chibrikov played 222 minutes (2 points), averaged 7 min/game.

Not much higher production rate for Svechkov.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Quoting you: "On the contrary, his teammate Svechkov (who he was traded with for Nikishin) also started out slow but gained the coach's confidence as the year progressed. He was averaging 14 min/game by mid January onwards despite Spartak knowing he wasn't gonna re-sign".

Svechkov played 300 minutes (4 points), averaged 11 min/game.
Chibrikov played 222 minutes (2 points), averaged 7 min/game.

Not much higher production rate for Svechkov.

What do Svechkov’s point totals gotta do with anything? :huh:
He doesn’t have the offensive talent Chibrikov does; but he works harder.

Svechkov earned more ice time as the season progressed because he developed. He showed himself to be a useful player even though his point totals were low.
Chibrikov?…not so much

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I enjoyed the draft pick.

Was really happy with his first season and was dissapointed with his progression in his second season but that is from the comfort of my home in Winnipeg where I really was judging mostly by second hand info and very little viewings. I am hoping a fresh start in North America in the American League where the top priority is to develop prospects, will be a recipe for him to get back to his D+1 mojo. He will be asked to play a more offensive role, higher up in the line up, and my belief is he will get a look at PP time.

The issue is the AHL is not the NHL and some people thrive while some people wilt. The guys that wilt often don’t take on the AHL for what it is which is a chance to work your bag off, prove yourself, develop, and get your game to the next level. If a player thinks he is good enough for the NHL and just needs to put in time in the AHL waiting it won’t end well.

I am hopeful Chibrikov throws himself at the challenge to get better. Some Russian kids really don’t like the AHL but I think in Chibrikov’s situation he might have needed a fresh start in a league where he will be one of the centerpieces on the team as long as he earns it.

We’ll see

Last edited:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Was really happy with his first season and was dissapointed with his progression in his second season but that is from the comfort of my home in Winnipeg where I really was judging mostly by second hand info and very little viewings. I am hoping a fresh start in North America in the American League where the top priority is to develop prospects, will be a recipe for him to get back to his D+1 mojo. He will be asked to play a more offensive role, higher up in the line up, and my belief is he will get a look at PP time.

The issue is the AHL is not the NHL and some people thrive while some people wilt. The guys that wilt often don’t take on the AHL for what it is which is a chance to work your bag off, prove yourself, develop, and get your game to the next level. If a player thinks he is good enough for the NHL and just needs to put in time in the AHL waiting it won’t end well.

I am hopeful Chibrikov throws himself at the challenge to get better. Some Russian kids really don’t like the AHL but I think in Chibrikov’s situation he might have needed a fresh start in a league where he will be one of the centerpieces on the team as long as he earns it.

We’ll see
He might also like getting the more offensive role and opportunities in a men's league compared to the 4th line minutes he was seeing in the KHL.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

We’ll see

Agree 100%. The AHL could be good for Chibrikov.

My only issue is the AHL can be not very skilled......at least that's what many Russian dudes say about it who played there. But they say its very physical and intense, which could benefit Chibrikov as his play away from the puck needs to improve tenfold.
It will be sink or swim as they say.

The more I think of it, Chibrikov a little bit reminds me of Dadonov....both in terms of top-end projection and style of game, although Chibrikov has better N/S speed and can be much more gritty when he wants to be.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Love the kid -- creativity + skill + motor = high-end gamer for me. Has the ability to make plays for others and finish them himself, while getting under the skin of opponents and make them pay for it.

(Cut and pasted with some adds from the Lambo thread).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad