Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The guy hasn't even played a game with the Jets yet and this is already sounding like the Laine thread. :laugh: I'll say it again, i don't care where a player is from as long as he helps the Jets get better and i'm pretty sure that's how our scouts look at it too.
It's not really like the Laine thread, despite the differences of opinion.
The Laine threads were toxic from the beginning, with his contingent of rabid fans making hyperbolic pronouncements on his Ovechkin-like future. Opinions to the contrary were not tolerated and the insanity never really improved the entire time he was here. I tried to ignore the discussion completely...with mixed success...

The posts from Russian hockey fans in this thread reflect some frustration at our misunderstanding of their players, programs and culture, but I'm finding the discussion very interesting. Atas2000 has also provided a balanced assessment of Chibrikov's potential, completely unlike Laine's Finnish contingent.

This thread won't be a love-in, but it's got a lot of upside potential...more than the Laine threads, and maybe more than Laine the player :laugh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It's not really like the Laine thread, despite the differences of opinion.
The Laine threads were toxic from the beginning, with his contingent of rabid fans making hyperbolic pronouncements on his Ovechkin-like future. Opinions to the contrary were not tolerated and the insanity never really improved the entire time he was here. I tried to ignore the discussion completely...with mixed success...

The posts from Russian hockey fans in this thread reflect some frustration at our misunderstanding of their players, programs and culture, but I'm finding the discussion very interesting. Atas2000 has also provided a balanced assessment of Chibrikov's potential, completely unlike Laine's Finnish contingent.

This thread won't be a love-in, but it's got a lot of upside potential...more than the Laine threads, and maybe more than Laine the player :laugh:

Agree. I'm really interested to learn more about our incoming Aeroflot of talent from posters who know the players well and contribute with the sorts of material (stories, highlights, local info) that are not always easy to source oneself.

And as a non-Winnipegger and non-Canadian myself, whose first language wasn't English, I have always enjoyed the cosmopolitain flavour of this board (and of the city itself). Sure, those Laine threads went crazy, but not every case is a precedent.

Thanks, @Atas2000, for all this content and analysis. Really looking forward to seeing Chibrikov in action on this side of the pond. With KC, Lucious and KVes in the lineup as possible triggermen, adding a heady player who can make plays and be a scoring threat himself is a pretty tantalizing prospect that fills a clear need. Exciting times to be a new-gem Jerts fan.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It’s not hard to find the reports of his 4-5 year 1-11 million ask... five years is not a ‘bridge’
Those reports are rumors. And with every single negotiation it's the same. Rumors circulate that exceed term and money that actually turns up on the contract.

4-5 years is exactly what I wrote. Kaprizov would likely want to sign for a minimum term. The team wants maximum term. They have to meet in the middle. 4-5 years is not what Minnesota wants, it is not what Kaprizov wants, it is a middle ground. And after defencemen all of a sudden start getting 9-9.5M why would not a good agent ask for 11M for a forward to start the talk? Nothing to me here sounds like it something to be worried or upset about. Again, they negotiate. In the situation both sides are in it is going to be atough negotiation. End of story. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Good info. I just hope he doesn't mimic Kaprizov's 6 year KHL development plan.
I still don't understand what NHL teams' and fans' problem is with getting a 24 year old who is nearly a PPG player in his first season. Every single player's development AND life is different. It might be a year more or two less. I always thought the goal is to get the best player possible out of a prospect. And if he is good enough when the time comes he will spend his prime in the NHL anyway.

If it helps IIRC he said in an interview he is planning on staying with SKA for two more years of his contract and then wants to go to NA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, could someone summarize the upcoming tournaments / camps that Chibrikov will participate in, and when will his season begin (KHL and/or VHL)?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I still don't understand what NHL teams' and fans' problem is with getting a 24 year old who is nearly a PPG player in his first season. Every single player's development AND life is different. It might be a year more or two less. I always thought the goal is to get the best player possible out of a prospect. And if he is good enough when the time comes he will spend his prime in the NHL anyway.

If it helps IIRC he said in an interview he is planning on staying with SKA for two more years of his contract and then wants to go to NA.

Just selfish in wanting to see him on the team, that's all.

Switlo

Oct 19, 2011
JetsUK can I ask you? How to watch KHL games from the UK. In case you know it. I assume you’re on this great island too^_^ I’d like to catch some Chocobo games myself (I don’t know why but I want to call ‘im chocobo)

p.s.: I don’t think PremierSports shows it

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I was listening to Craig Button talk about the Dillon for 2 2nds trade and ppl asked him if it was an overpay and his answer was well if you hit on those 2 2nds they won't be with the team until 2026 the earliest so... I have no issues with Chibby staying in Russia.

I'd imagine chibby is similar. 2024 earliest we see him. 2nds take time. Doesn't matter who it is normally

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was listening to Craig Button talk about the Dillon for 2 2nds trade and ppl asked him if it was an overpay and his answer was well if you hit on those 2 2nds they won't be with the team until 2024 the earliest so... I have no issues with Chibby staying in Russia.
Think of it this way....

The probability of a mid- to late-2nd rounder playing for 3 seasons in the top-4 of a contending team is likely much less than 50%. So, a top-4 D for 3 years is likely a much surer bet than two 2nds.

In reality, there's very little difference between late 2nd round picks and 3rd or 4th round picks in terms of NHL potential.

upload_2021-7-30_12-43-31.png

upload_2021-7-30_12-44-58.png

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The guy hasn't even played a game with the Jets yet and this is already sounding like the Laine thread. :laugh: I'll say it again, i don't care where a player is from as long as he helps the Jets get better and i'm pretty sure that's how our scouts look at it too.

I prey the Lainiacs invasion was a once in a Board life time phenomena. On the other hand this is a really interesting seminar and tutorial on Russia and our newest prized prospect. Loving the Thread so far.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So, could someone summarize the upcoming tournaments / camps that Chibrikov will participate in, and when will his season begin (KHL and/or VHL)?
Pre-season is already under way in the KHL, so he is at SKA camp.

SKA have travelled to a training camp in Novogorsk - Ice Hockey Club SKA Saint Petersburg, 2021/07/23

They will play at three pre-season tournaments. That's how KHL pre-season happens. Teams before the regular season elect to participate in a couple of short tournaments with few games and few participating other KHL teams. It's pretty much the same in the VHL.

Regular season starts a 1st September in the KHL(same as VHL almost). Chibrikov should have a good chance of making the opening night roster as he was the only U18 player called up to the senior NT last season, so his rep is pretty good. He will then have to show he belongs though as it always is.

Aside form VHL/KHL he will probably be at the usual U20 NT events. You tell me if the Russia-Canada-Series happens this year in November. Otherwise he should make the WJC team. Accordigly he will be at the U20 camps during the season, so not always available for the VHL/KHL. If the Russia-Canada-Series will be played that means around 3 weeks to a month absence, same as WJC including pre-tournament camps and travel.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If I was a GM in the NHL, I'd have a couple really good scouts out in Russia, as I feel that talent pool is way overlooked in favour of North American born players. Just look at Tampa, and how their Russian stars are elevating that team.

Reactions: kellhunter

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Holy Shit, What a great Thread!

As @ps241 wrote so well, there has been a lot of great information provided beyond just the player here.

Yeah, there were some times I thought we were headed for disaster, but Hockey talk & cooler heads won the day.
9E949E8D-1357-4038-8E40-4076551A25FE.gif

Thank you to the Visitors: @LastWordArmy, @Appleyard & @Atas2000 in particular for the information on Chibrikov.

Thank you to the HF Jets members for the other clips & links.

I’ll circle back once I have my Like privileges again :thumbu:

Disclaimer-the following is not a derailment. Please read through and you will understand the relevance:)

@Atas2000, I’m also a Canucks fan and as you recall there were frustrations/outrage expressed regarding the development of Podkolzin, especially over the last season. Ice time being interpreted as a punishment for not signing an extension. Assignment to the VHL Club for 2 games, then the MHL Club, then back to the KHL Club meant his development was being negatively affected & became a drama.

I’m bringing this up in this Thread because I imagine it’s possible that similar deployment for Chibrikov may happen in the future.

I went on record then and will say it here, just because a development system is different from what we’re used to in North America doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I think Podz fulfilled his agreement, played on a top tier team at a level expected of a Rookie & is now coming to the NHL, ready to go, as planned.

As this relates to our new Russian, like a few have eluded to; there are aspects of culture, maturity and family connections that go beyond just the talent of these young men. Not everyone is ready to come to a new continent as a young adult.

I believe in the Jets Scouting Staff & Mr. Cheveldayoff’s plan, which I’m confident will be to let this fellow continue to develop in the system that has helped him become so talented already.

I look forward to reading more of your updates.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Holy Shit, What a great Thread!

As @ps241 wrote so well, there has been a lot of great information provided beyond just the player here.

Yeah, there were some times I thought we were headed for disaster, but Hockey talk & cooler heads won the day.
View attachment 458234

Thank you to the Visitors: @LastWordArmy, @Appleyard & @Atas2000 in particular for the information on Chibrikov.

Thank you to the HF Jets members for the other clips & links.

I’ll circle back once I have my Like privileges back:thumbu:

Disclaimer-the following is not a derailment. Please read through and you will understand the relevance:)

@Atas2000, I’m also a Canucks fan and as you recall there were frustrations/outrage expressed regarding the development of Podkolzin, especially over the last season. Ice time being interpreted as a punishment for not signing an extension. Assignment to the VHL Club for 2 games, then the MHL Club, then back to the KHL Club meant his development was being negatively affected & became a drama.

I’m bringing this up in this Thread because I imagine it’s possible that similar deployment for Chibrikov may happen in the future.

I went on record then and will say it here, just because a development system is different from what we’re used to in North America doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I think Podz fulfilled his agreement, played on a top tier team at a level expected of a Rookie & is now coming to the NHL, ready to go, as planned.

As this relates to our new Russian, like a few have eluded to; there are aspects of culture, maturity and family connections that go beyond just the talent of these young men. Not everyone is ready to come to a new continent as a young adult.

I’m confident in the Jets Scouting Staff & Mr. Cheveldayoff’s plan, which I’m confident will be to let this fellow continue to develop in the system that has helped him become so talented already.

I look forward to reading more of your updates.

Cheers.
God help us with Podz. He is not ready IMO. And off the ice his move with marriage to bring his GF over wasn't something I liked too. His loss is Chibrikov's win obviously. A spot freed up on SKA that will be even more a team of young talent this season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Zine @Switlo and @GJF Pretty interesting back and forth. I love the quality and content of your debate. Learning new things is something I will never grow tired of.

My view of drafting Russian players needed updating and needed to be challenged. You guys have done this and for that I thank you.

I'm quite happy to amend my opinion on drafting Russians if it is out of date.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah we are starting to get some nice pieces for the post Scheifele window.

Mix in some from that window and we should have a dynamic forward core still and we have some good looking dmen.

The last 3 drafts, despite only 5, 4 and 4 picks has extended our window beyond the 3 more years that we were expecting. Obviously still a work in progress, but there is a transition there.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah love the pick. It's a swing for the fences. Guy reminded me of Ehlers, a little less dynamic in terms of speed but same kind of puck skill and smarts at the blue lines/in transition.

I'd say this guy has the same, or maybe even better speed than Ehlers, but it's hard to say, as he's playing with younger players. All I can say is that if he has some Hockey IQ, and a decent shot, this guy will be a "big star" for the Jets.

He has the speed, great stickhandling, makes great offensive zone entries, and keeps possession of the puck, like he's playing with kids. This guy can skate thru a whole team. Just look at that video that @Mud Turtle posted, and you'll see what I mean.

If I was the Jets, I'd like to bring him up and with the team, as soon as possible. This kids got big time talent -- but I haven't seen what kind of shot he has, but if it isn't great, I think he'll be a great playmaker.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'd say this guy has the same, or maybe even better speed than Ehlers, but it's hard to say, as he's playing with younger players. All I can say is that if he has some Hockey IQ, and a decent shot, this guy will be a "big star" for the Jets.

He has the speed, great stickhandling, makes great offensive zone entries, and keeps possession of the puck, like he's playing with kids. This guy can skate thru a whole team. Just look at that video that @Mud Turtle posted, and you'll see what I mean.

If I was the Jets, I'd like to bring him up and with the team, as soon as possible. This kids got big time talent -- but I haven't seen what kind of shot he has, but if it isn't great, I think he'll be a great playmaker.
He is very agile and has good speed, but Ehlers is a notch or two better. Ehlers was scintillating as an 18 year old vs his age peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->