OT: 50th Obsequious Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Heh. Nothing crazy; she's just avoiding the abundance of profanity from me... especially the last few seasons.

My wife likes hockey but lots of times she says she has to go do something else because it's to intense in the room.

:laugh:

She would even bad yelling at the TV when we had Bryz in nets and had the epic series against Pitt. "Why can't he stop the puck? Those are easy ones"

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
To continue with my Star Wars ticket ordeal,

Would any one have interest in two tickets to the 10:30 IMAX showing on Thursday night at the Cherry Hill Loews? There are only two IMAX showing that night in that theater and both are long sold out.

I decided to get tickets at another theater with reserved seating so that I know that I will enjoy my first viewing.

I am just looking to get my money back for the tickets.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Damn^^^^ I live 5 minutes from there, I would have taken them for sure but I ended up getting IMAX tickets somewhere else instead when they were sold out (Wilmington DE) :help:

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I can't be the only one that was disappointed. It was Star Wars so I liked it, but it was disappointing.

Read your post in the Star Wars thread and agree with your point on humor in action movies. It's way overdone at this point and takes away from the seriousness of the movie.

Still a good film though.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Read your post in the Star Wars thread and agree with your point on humor in action movies. It's way overdone at this point and takes away from the seriousness of the movie.

Still a good film though.

It bothers me sooo sooo much. It killed Avengers for me, any serious undertones in the movie, any kind of sense of dread in the movie is totally undermined by stupid **** like that. You can have some, but it has to make sense for the timing in the movie and needs to be few and far between. The stuff with Han in the original trilogy was perfect. When every other scene is a Stormtrooper doing something stupid while the main character is in a perilous situation just to bring unneeded levity to the situation bothers me. I want to be sucked in and feel like the character isn't going to escape, isn't going to get out unscathed. When you make it a joke it detracts from not only that scene but future scenes involving the same peril.

And thank you for taking the time to read that! I went off on a rather long rant.

I need to go back and watch it by myself. At the theater last night it was like having a laughtrack in the movie.

Last edited:

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
I can't be the only one that was disappointed. It was Star Wars so I liked it, but it was disappointing.

Entertaining but by no means a blockbuster like the hype....more of a set up for the others and hopefully better.

Saw it today. While I can see why some people might've been disappointed, I was not one of them. I think it's because I went into the movie with a pretty low bar and didn't over-hype myself for this. Probably because I remember that while I'm a Star Wars fan and I enjoyed the trailers for this movie, I also remember enjoying the Episode I trailers. I saw the prequels and was kinda let down by them like many others.

I was also worried that JJ Abrams would over-do it and it wouldn't feel like a Star Wars movie. While Abrams definitely did it differently than Lucas, Kershner and Marquand, I still thought it felt like a Star Wars movie.

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Abrams was involved-- so... lens flares all over?

Some, but I don't think he overdid it with them. Then again, I didn't go out of my way looking for them, nor do they bother me enough to always notice them.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Saw it today. While I can see why some people might've been disappointed, I was not one of them. I think it's because I went into the movie with a pretty low bar and didn't over-hype myself for this. Probably because I remember that while I'm a Star Wars fan and I enjoyed the trailers for this movie, I also remember enjoying the Episode I trailers. I saw the prequels and was kinda let down by them like many others.

I was also worried that JJ Abrams would over-do it and it wouldn't feel like a Star Wars movie. While Abrams definitely did it differently than Lucas, Kershner and Marquand, I still thought it felt like a Star Wars movie.

Yeah I didn't over-hype myself either and approached the movie like I do a Sixers game. I was entertained but for me a real good film has to have a good script as far as dialogue. This movie was beyond hokey which some posters have touched upon but I know it's geared to a specific audience and I don't fall into it. Again, it was not bad or anything just think it could have been better after so much build up and years.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Abrams was involved-- so... lens flares all over?

I get really annoyed at Abrams screen flares. One of the biggest detractors of the Star Trek movies. I'm happy to report that I've watched Star Wars twice now and didn't notice them once. So they might be in there but they dont stand out or detract from the visuals. Not like Star Trek where a static shot on the bridge is loaded with screen flares for no reason

Also, Kylo Ren is awesome

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The movie was incredible. I assume there are a few people who would have rather just been put in a theater and shown the empire strikes back, but this, believe it or not, is supposed to be a different film entirely. Every inch of it was 1000x better than anything in the prequels, and as much as i love the original movies, the new trilogy has potential to be better.

Yes, that's right, new things can in fact be better than the originals.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
It bothers me sooo sooo much. It killed Avengers for me, any serious undertones in the movie, any kind of sense of dread in the movie is totally undermined by stupid **** like that. You can have some, but it has to make sense for the timing in the movie and needs to be few and far between. The stuff with Han in the original trilogy was perfect. When every other scene is a Stormtrooper doing something stupid while the main character is in a perilous situation just to bring unneeded levity to the situation bothers me. I want to be sucked in and feel like the character isn't going to escape, isn't going to get out unscathed. When you make it a joke it detracts from not only that scene but future scenes involving the same peril.

And thank you for taking the time to read that! I went off on a rather long rant.

I need to go back and watch it by myself. At the theater last night it was like having a laughtrack in the movie.

I will agree with that. The first time we meet the new bad guy and theres a speaking line...it's clouded with humor line. In most other movies it would have been funny. I hated it in this spot.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The movie was incredible. I assume there are a few people who would have rather just been put in a theater and shown the empire strikes back, but this, believe it or not, is supposed to be a different film entirely. Every inch of it was 1000x better than anything in the prequels, and as much as i love the original movies, the new trilogy has potential to be better.

Yes, that's right, new things can in fact be better than the originals.

[spoil] I think it was the fact that it was the exact same plot as A New Hope is what bothers people most :shakehead [/spoil]

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly
RE:^^^ (quoting spoilers reveals it in a grey text box IIRC)

I didn't hate that, but I would've preferred it if they went a different direction. As long as they change it up in the subsequent films I'll be okay with what they did here.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
[spoil] I think it was the fact that it was the exact same plot as A New Hope is what bothers people most :shakehead [/spoil]

The same plot? Hardly. There were similar elements to the plot, which if youre paying attention to the character development, was done intentionally.

The way this movie is different though; the people in it can actually act.

Phileeguy

Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Good thing Rouge Squadron comes out next year.

Captain Wedge Antilles commands Rouge Squadron.
RougeLeader.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca