GDT: #5 | Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 15th | 8:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Anyone who recognizes how we look when we are playing well, knows we played like crap last night- but we were resilient, Varlamov was huge again (mind-boggling how they didn't give him a star on the broadcast) and we defended well. We also rebounded from a disastrous previous game to go 55% of face offs. Work horse Pageau had 43 of them in circle (57%) and seemed to have come up big when it counted most.

Blocking the pucks was huge last night, as JB used his body on several (team high 6 in just a dozen minutes of action), a stick-less Lee gave his up body on one and both Nelson and Pulock had 4 a piece.

Offensively it was hard to watch. Managing 5 shots on goal each period was excruciating and the lines didn't click at all, even our go to second line struggled. Our power play was also uninspiring, but we finally managed to find Pulock on a slap shot which made it through.

But then the credit really goes to me (haha). I of course watched it with my son again in the comfort of my living room, on edge throughout of course. I saw the offsides (who didn't? except for the zebra right there in front of the action) so that one didn't bother me, but it seemed only a matter of time before TB put it away. The Beau high sticking that led to a 4 minute PP all but sealed my expected fate to the game. No way do we stop them for 4 minutes a man up.

But we did and managed to survive a scoreless OT. I then told my son that Eberle wins it in the second OT, and moments before the Lee dish I did a double- dipping on our Islander hats upon my son's 12 year old head: One going forward and one going back. Presto! Jordan, after finding himself off the top line and driving us all crazy with his overall play and endless missed chances; gets the game winner.

You're welcome.

Still, to have any chance I think on Thursday (and I agree if we somehow find a way to win then the pressure is all on TB) we must play better than we have the last two games, especially with the puck and offensively. We are now 2-0 without Point in there and 0-3 with him, you can bet he will dress for Game 6.

I am glad the ride continues at least another game...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think the Isles deserved the win. TB had a 4 mins PP late in the game and 2 1/2 mins into OT. In the back of my mind I was thinking if the Isles could survive those 4 mins, it would be ironic if they came back and won game 5. They did. We will see how this impacts the series, atleast there is hockey on Thursday. Which was my goal before game 5 started. Just to see another game on Thursday. Now the goal is I want to see a game on Saturday.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anyone who recognizes how we look when we are playing well, knows we played like crap last night- but we were resilient, Varlamov was huge again (mind-boggling how they didn't give him a star on the broadcast) and we defended well. We also rebounded from a disastrous previous game to go 55% of face offs. Work horse Pageau had 43 of them in circle (57%) and seemed to have come up big when it counted most.

Blocking the pucks was huge last night, as JB used his body on several (team high 6 in just a dozen minutes of action), a stick-less Lee gave his up body on one and both Nelson and Pulock had 4 a piece.

Offensively it was hard to watch. Managing 5 shots on goal each period was excruciating and the lines didn't click at all, even our go to second line struggled. Our power play was also uninspiring, but we finally managed to find Pulock on a slap shot which made it through.

But then the credit really goes to me (haha). I of course watched it with my son again in the comfort of my living room, on edge throughout of course. I saw the offsides (who didn't? except for the zebra right there in front of the action) so that one didn't bother me, but it seemed only a matter of time before TB put it away. The Beau high sticking that led to a 4 minute PP all but sealed my expected fate to the game. No way do we stop them for 4 minutes a man up.

But we did and managed to survive a scoreless OT. I then told my son that Eberle wins it in the second OT, and moments before the Lee dish I did a double- dipping on our Islander hats upon my son's 12 year old head: One going forward and one going back. Presto! Jordan, after finding himself off the top line and driving us all crazy with his overall play and endless missed chances; gets the game winner.

You're welcome.

Still, to have any chance I think on Thursday (and I agree if we somehow find a way to win then the pressure is all on TB) we must play better than we have the last two games, especially with the puck and offensively. We are now 2-0 without Point in there and 0-3 with him, you can bet he will dress for Game 6.

I am glad the ride continues at least another game...
Sometimes you have to win ugly. Do anything you can to survive. That's what we did here. We survived to fight another day.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
objectively, tampa is the better team. they have hamstrung our offense to the point where we MUST score on every good opportunity we get- there is very little if any room for mistakes. then we won....

cooper provided some bulletin board material....we have already had some physical, nasty games. the isles need to find a way to create more opportunities, it is that simple. hopefully eberle is finally trending in the right direction after the biggest goal of the season last night

this is a run ride...keep the train moving and beat the crap outta the lightning

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That’s not the whole quote. He continued to say something along the lines that we still had to execute it, which we did. And that’s a credit to us.

The whole stars needed to aligned is pretty messed up. Pretty much saying we need to be lucky to have a chance to win. We could have said the same thing for them in game 1. Stars aligned for us to go to game 7 against Philly and have to travel to Edmonton and play dog tired. Stars needed to align in game 2 for use to not score on a 5 minute major and for them to get a last second goal. It’s basically making excuses. I like cooper and think he’s a terrific coach. Maybe he didn’t mean it like that but definitely a poor choice of words.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
What a game what win! Thanks to whoever made the varlamov diving gif. Been using it all morning!!

Reactions: JoeM

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
That’s not the whole quote. He continued to say something along the lines that we still had to execute it, which we did. And that’s a credit to us.

Yeah but adding that part wouldn't generate engagement Knish!

For example, what if you said:
Isles 2
Ben Franklin inventions 1
Every game? You wouldn't get all those likes now would you!

:sarcasm:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I mean, that’s like saying “no offense, but...”

He seemed salty AF in the post-game presser, idk if that’s just how he is normally, but as someone who doesn’t pay that much attention to him in particular it seemed that way

Reactions: JoeM and xECK29x

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I think the Isles deserved the win. TB had a 4 mins PP late in the game and 2 1/2 mins into OT. In the back of my mind I was thinking if the Isles could survive those 4 mins, it would be ironic if they came back and won game 5. They did. We will see how this impacts the series, atleast there is hockey on Thursday. Which was my goal before game 5 started. Just to see another game on Thursday. Now the goal is I want to see a game on Saturday.
I don’t know if the Islanders deserved to win... but the Lightning didn’t deserve it either... I think neither team deserved it, but someone’s gotta win

The Lightning were, on the whole of the night, the better team. Flubbing a 4 minute PP at the end of the game/beginning of OT is huge

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don’t know if the Islanders deserved to win... but the Lightning didn’t deserve it either... I think neither team deserved it, but someone’s gotta win

The Lightning were, on the whole of the night, the better team. Flubbing a 4 minute PP at the end of the game/beginning of OT is huge
Whaddyaknow. Special teams cost the Lightning a win.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The whole stars needed to aligned is pretty messed up. Pretty much saying we need to be lucky to have a chance to win. We could have said the same thing for them in game 1. Stars aligned for us to go to game 7 against Philly and have to travel to Edmonton and play dog tired. Stars needed to align in game 2 for use to not score on a 5 minute major and for them to get a last second goal. It’s basically making excuses. I like cooper and think he’s a terrific coach. Maybe he didn’t mean it like that but definitely a poor choice of words.

He doesn't want to cast doubt on his team. Everyone knows Tampa is the favorite, which includes every player on that team. Isles have put them in an uncomfortable situation and with Point for sure banged up and them trying to shed their reputation as the best chokers of all time, the pressure is mounting.

Sometimes to win a game it takes the stars aligning or the odd bounce. Should we care what Cooper says? Not really. I think there is a fair amount of cockiness in their locker room and the team , on ice has a lot less swagger without Point in the lineup. As much as you can point the finger at the Isles for being on the brink of elimination and not peppering Vasi, think about this, the Lighting were a win away from the SCF and that was the effort they put forth.

Have they been neutered? Time will tell, but there could be Validity to what Trotz said about the narrative changing. The PP goal we got too will make them think twice about doing anything stupid out there.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

You need a smile today?

I definitely like Doc better than Forslund. I think it’s that Forslund is overall a bit too serious and uptight and even when he tries to get chummy or joke with his color guy you feel it’s forced to an extent whereas with Doc it’s not

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

So far in this series Tampa has been better in games 1, 4, and 5 while the Isles were likely the better team in games 2 and 3. The Isles better though was much less apparent and only for stretches. I felt in game 2 the Isles being better was mostly due to man power and Tampa’s line shortages. Game 3 the Isles had fewer breakdowns in the h it high danger area than Tampa did but overall Tampa did control play for huge stretches. There is no question if Tampa somehow loses this series unless the Isles are dominant the next two games that the better team probably found a way to lose

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
It was NHL Network all morning.

I believe the host stated "Uh..Oh"

Cooper also said his confidence level is even higher after the game.

Only thing he should be confident about is he's going to be fired if he doesn't make the Cup Finals this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad