Post-Game Talk: #49 | FLYERS (A) vs. Devils (H) | Tuesday, Apr. 27, 2021 | Loss 6-4

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The concern with Elliott is having to play multiple games in a row. He can spell a starter which is one of the primary purposes of a backup netminder, to play once on back-to-back nights, but he can't be depended to be the replacement starting goalie for a long stretch. That also needs to be considered this off-season. Mediocre defense will make an average goalie look inferior but an average goalie will make himself look worse when he is exposed too often.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I doubt No.4 and No. 16 would be happy with this team.

I cannot remember a more unhappy team and a more unhappy fan base than now. I cannot place it except that wins are not fun, loses are not fun. The team play is an endless loop of the same thing.

The only thing interesting is the contorted, grime faces of those coaches as if it was the players fault that the system is so unenlightened. Hartnell said last night, they need to get back to "basics". Well,
Hartsy, they play the most "basic" system there is; the only thing more "basic" is not playing at all.......

Hard to believe that even overnight we are still on page 2 of this tread.

Two last rants....

Meltzer blamed many of the goals on Sanheim and Myers.....FALSE narrative........Elliot was at fault for goals 4 and 5. G V and C played their hearts out. Again, the only ones who made talented plays with at least a little creativity. The rest of the team is either afraid to make creative plays or they do not have the talent to make creative plays.

Yea!....the Phantoms play tonight. Another adventure. Sandstrom in goal tonight. See if he can string two excellent games in a row.

Take a look at Barry Ashlee and his feelings for a player named Rick Foley who had a reputation for being lackluster.

Reactions: macleish1974

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
is this the way it's going to be every year when a new coach comes when the players dont play well, fire this guy and fire that guy every year?

av is not going anywhere so deal with it.

Right people need to get on board it's the garbage players like voracek and giroux that are going, not the guy that carried them out of the gutters if they fire the coaches who have done such an amazing job I may stop being a fan because it'll just show they have no idea what's going on I mean how many chances do these lazy bums get

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
But covid, Bern. Were the only ones dealing with Covid.

The Flyers should contact the CDC to recommend a study that a multi-goal deficit seems to have a curative effect on COVID-19 symptoms. That being offered cheekily ...

We were one of the few teams decimated by COVID, and all struggled afterward.

... I don't want to completely dismiss the possibility of COVID-related effects to which you allude, dead. However, the firewagon comeback attempts in 3rd periods doesn't seem to jive with this, unless Vigneault is benching the most severely affected at this point in games.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
is this the way it's going to be every year when a new coach comes when the players dont play well, fire this guy and fire that guy every year?

If you don't think that AV is going to get cashiered you're dead wrong. If not at the end of this season, which would be wise, he'll be out by year's end. This club does not want to play for him. Its evident every night. That there is a disconnect between AV and the players has gotten the attention of the media throughout the game.
Scott is no idiot. His tail is on the line here. If this section of the Comcast empire is not performing in revenue as it should be, he will be down the road. As it is right now, the Flyers are the least desirable ticket of the four major sports teams in town. It used to be top dog. Roberts will ask Scott to find out what is wrong and fix it, pronto. If Scott can't do that, he's gone. People cite AV's $15M contract as a reason why he won't be gone. To Comcast that is chump change. Their revenue was $103,564,000,000 last year. They can well afford to let AV go.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Flyers should contact the CDC to recommend a study that a multi-goal deficit seems to have a curative effect on COVID-19 symptoms. That being offered cheekily ...

... I don't want to completely dismiss the possibility of COVID-related effects to which you allude, dead. However, the firewagon comeback attempts in 3rd periods doesn't seem to jive with this, unless Vigneault is benching the most severely affected at this point in games.

What we need to do is put a study in on Robert Hagg. Because while the rest of the team was completely bogged down by covid, making us easy to play against, Robert Hagg has been playing the best hockey of his life ( a low bar, but I digress).

I bet his body is just chewing up that COVID shit and giving him superhero strength to become a mediocre bottom pairing D, finally. We need to study that and see how we can use that on everyone.

In the meantime, I hope Ghost is kind enough to keep sharing his girlfriend/fiancee with him so Hagg can maintain these levels of play.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
What we need to do is put a study in on Robert Hagg. Because while the rest of the team was completely bogged down by covid, making us easy to play against, Robert Hagg has been playing the best hockey of his life ( a low bar, but I digress).

I bet his body is just chewing up that COVID shit and giving him superhero strength to become a mediocre bottom pairing D, finally. We need to study that and see how we can use that on everyone.

In the meantime, I hope Ghost is kind enough to keep sharing his girlfriend/fiancee with him so Hagg can maintain these levels of play.

I dislike myself for liking this post.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Steve Coates mentioned how they turned on a switch (mid-game) and Tim Saunders replied "Then why the HELL don't they find it earlier."

There are beliefs and suspicions even amongst fans that will run the gamut -- especially this odd season -- but the passive starts/uninspired tendencies is/are among many issues that needs to be addressed. Yes that could and was mentioned in the past but this off-season is as much about re-establishing a presence and making a demonstrative statement as much as any other off-season. A whole generation has known mediocrity. A few games here and there outside of 2010 isn't going to sell tickets and merchandise.
My issue is this has gone on with how many coaches. I mean how many times did Lavy need to call time outs to light fires under the roster (not this roster but that roster), then Berube and Hak were also plagued with it. I can't put my finger on why but it's been too damn long. If you think AV is going to change it after three others not changing it, I'm not sure what to say.

Fotiu29

Feb 22, 2019

Pretty much yeah it seems. It'll be interesting to see that WonderCoach that gets this team to play well. Apparently last season was a total fluke and current coaching staff had nothing to do with it. Or in one offseason they forgot how to coach.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The concern with Elliott is having to play multiple games in a row. He can spell a starter which is one of the primary purposes of a backup netminder, to play once on back-to-back nights, but he can't be depended to be the replacement starting goalie for a long stretch. That also needs to be considered this off-season. Mediocre defense will make an average goalie look inferior but an average goalie will make himself look worse when he is exposed too often.

i bet Fletch re-ups before the summer even gets going...

no point risking letting Moose walk...

hahaaaaa...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
My issue is this has gone on with how many coaches. I mean how many times did Lavy need to call time outs to light fires under the roster (not this roster but that roster), then Berube and Hak were also plagued with it. I can't put my finger on why but it's been too damn long. If you think AV is going to change it after three others not changing it, I'm not sure what to say.

The simplest explanation is just that it's never been the right mix of people (coaches and players) at the right time.

I'm really curious as to what Fletch will do in the offseason. Major moves? Minor tweaks? A mix of both?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wish they could. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this stretch hockey might actually work if we had some of the pure sprinters that NY had.

Even then it's something I'd only want to try when that particular line, or those particular players, are on the ice.

On their Cup run TB ran a really interesting breakout with a couple of their lines where they had a short passing option, a medium option, and long option dashing up ice and opening up opposing defenses...which also created another option for the dman on that side since he'd had more space thanks to covering the long option. Trying to stop it gave teams fits.

Not a shred of similar nuance or thought to be seen in this shitshow arrangement.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It's not even back to backs, it's having to play more than a couple games with only a day off.

At this point in his career Elliott is Neuvirth a few years ago, fine if you spot him, but if you ask more than 25-30 games in an 82 game season you're in trouble. Now put those 25 starts (22 of 49 games so far) in a condensed schedule like this season and you have a terrible goalie.

But if Hart was the Hart of the bubble, he'd have started almost all games other than back to backs - he routinely played 60+ games in junior.
So in that case Elliott plays 15-20 of 56 and is a decent backup.
And ironically, Hart's bubble performance made it impossible to sign a good backup, because what good backup wants to play 20 games, get exposed in the ED and not have the track record for his next contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe next year you try and have a 3rd goalie capable of playing some games when you need them to.

Well, Lyon and Sandstrom got injured, Ustimenko is out for the season.
Some things you just shrug your shoulders.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

Is Hagg Swedish for "placebo"?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Maybe next year you try and have a 3rd goalie capable of playing some games when you need them to.
Honest question and Appleyard can join in as well. What are Flyers looking for from Ersson next year? Is he the 2 or 3 or other? 2 by the end of the year? I also ask because it effects the choice in backup. If you think Ersson is ready by early 2022, then signing a Bernier to a 3 year deal seems pretty short term correct but long term stupid(see Hayes).

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ersson first has to come over, then probably needs a year in the AHL.
So 2022-23 at the earliest.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The slow/poor starts are not a AV thing. We were talking about this even back to Lavi. They always seem to put themselves behind the 8 ball every night. When you chase the game every night you get what you get this year. Needing to win games when the high end talent rescues this team from itself.
I get it, no team can play at a high level for 60 minutes, but we have all lost count on how many times they start unprepared and not ready to go at puck drop.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad