Post-Game Talk: #49 | FLYERS (A) vs. Devils (H) | Tuesday, Apr. 27, 2021 | Loss 6-4

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone knew that re-signing Elliott was a pretty bad move. He's fine-ish when he plays once a week. You can't have that, especially in a shortened season with a tighter schedule.

If Hart had been the goalie he was in the bubble, Elliot would have played once a week and would have been fine.
And no top backup was coming here on a short-term contract to play once a week.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Didn't watch. How was Zamula?
I like his game. You can tell that his thought process is pretty fluid in terms of how he processes the game. Of course, there were definitely mistakes and brain farts, but that’s expected for his first game. Later on, Zamula played very well. He would jump in plays in the Ozone, would take good open shots, would try to set up teammates. One thing that really took my by surprise was the fact that he barely lost a board battle towards the end of the game.

Early on it looked like the speed and style of NJD got to him and he didn’t hold the puck much, made some meh passes where better outlets could’ve been made, and kinda played hot potato, but he settled down quickly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, Zamula looked better in his NHL debut than York in his AHL debut.
Both need to get a few games under their belt going into next year's TC.
I wouldn't write either into the top four right now, but both should be untouchable unless someone makes "an offer you can't refuse."

Of course, Zamula may make Sanheim expendable in the Eichel trade. :sarcasm:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Really amazing how opposing teams are always prepared to defend and aren't scrambling to catch up to rushes like our team often is.
The Flyers actively afford opposing teams time and space to organize defence. The slow zone entree schema, perimeter playing, and mandatory 15000 passes before a shot on the net gives even NJD opportunity to build a shotblocking wall.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Every dman YOLO lunges at pucks as they're being carried by instead of backskating and defending normally. And they miss a lot. It's one of the many various reasons why we keep ending up with one dman back to defend a rush. Even Braun, who is supposed to be the most defensively responsible and experienced of the lot. Someone on this coaching staff has to be telling them to do it. Their whole defensive strategy involves aggressively chasing pucks and they get burned constantly.
Aggressive lunges should be the back checkers job, but the system calls for that guy to wait at the redline for a stretch pass instead.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
With
I don't know... Sometimes it's just best to cut bait on flatliners, especially if they aren't producing. They need to change the culture of the team, and I don't think Patrick fits. They need more players with a high motor, as evidenced by their pattern of sleepwalking starts.

Normally I agree but with someone who was the 2nd pick overall and is still young.... you have to wait that extra year. If he's a cancer in the room or he thinks he's better than he is than embarrass him publicly. His value will be the same .... the reason I think this doesn't end well is that its a Hextall pick. Fletcher can dump him for no value and just blame past management. Honestly terrified of what happens this off season.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I've been a Flyers fan from the beginning. This is the worst club that they have ever put on the ice. Everything that Ed Snider did to build support for hockey in this town is in jeopardy of being destroyed. Teams in the past have been poor but they did compete and knew how to play the game. Flyers tickets once were the best sports buy in town; great entertainment. Does anyone get any enjoyment from watching what is currently on the ice? I know many people who once were ardent fans who won't waste their time watching it for free on the tube.
Scott may want to check his season ticket sales and media ratings. If he want to save this part of the Comcast enterprise and his job, he needs to rebuild the organization from the ground up like Snider did. Re-establish the Flyer identity and go on from there. The players are not the problem. The issue starts behind the bench. AV coaches bad hockey. Its a loser on the ice and in the eyes of the fans.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers actively afford opposing teams time and space to organize defence. The slow zone entree schema, perimeter playing, and mandatory 15000 passes before a shot on the net gives even NJD opportunity to build a shotblocking wall.

It turns out that having your D stand there while they wait for forwards to sprint up ice also gives opponents lots of time to get set in the neutral zone to pick off the coming stretch pass

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It turns out that having your D stand there while they wait for forwards to sprint up ice also gives opponents lots of time to get set in the neutral zone to pick off the coming stretch pass
One thing that the last two weeks have done is given the Flyers time to practice. Ideally they would have worked on adjustments to improve their game. As we have seen, its been nothing like that. SOS, which clearly shows the ineptitude of the coaching staff. No organization in its right mind should ever hire these clowns in the future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure it's the coaching, they consistently seem to have one or two periods a game when they look like they're skating on slush, then the one period or so when they turn it on and look dominant. That seems more to me like a team that's not physically 100%, that lacks stamina - at this point in the season conditioning shouldn't be an issue. So what could have happened to this team?

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm not sure it's the coaching, they consistently seem to have one or two periods a game when they look like they're skating on slush, then the one period or so when they turn it on and look dominant. That seems more to me like a team that's not physically 100%, that lacks stamina - at this point in the season conditioning shouldn't be an issue. So what could have happened to this team?
AV, Therrien, Yeo. I mean for the love of God, the staff says that they've never seen the kids play that they are bringing up to the big club. That's gross incompetence.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

If I read that correctly, you are saying that the Flyers have been drafting defective Dmen who like to stand waiting for forwards for the past decade and we should ship them out

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I'd agree if their worst period was the 3rd. However, when they play the 1st every single game like their skates are untied and then have to play like superstars in the 3rd to try to overcome multigoal deficits, stamina doesn't seem like a likely candidate.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'd agree if their worst period was the 3rd. However, when they play the 1st every single game like their skates are untied and then have to play like superstars in the 3rd to try to overcome multigoal deficits, stamina doesn't seem like a likely candidate.

But covid, Bern. Were the only ones dealing with Covid.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
The debate over coaches or players is a bit like chicken and egg debate. With this level of performance entire personnel is culpable.

Reactions: BernieParent

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Someone needs to do a mixtape of the "unacceptable" comments from players and coaches regarding poor effort in Flyers first periods. It would run longer than the LOTR trilogy.

Steve Coates mentioned how they turned on a switch (mid-game) and Tim Saunders replied "Then why the HELL don't they find it earlier."

There are beliefs and suspicions even amongst fans that will run the gamut -- especially this odd season -- but the passive starts/uninspired tendencies is/are among many issues that needs to be addressed. Yes that could and was mentioned in the past but this off-season is as much about re-establishing a presence and making a demonstrative statement as much as any other off-season. A whole generation has known mediocrity. A few games here and there outside of 2010 isn't going to sell tickets and merchandise.

Last edited:

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
AV, Therrien, Yeo. I mean for the love of God, the staff says that they've never seen the kids play that they are bringing up to the big club. That's gross incompetence.

is this the way it's going to be every year when a new coach comes when the players dont play well, fire this guy and fire that guy every year?

av is not going anywhere so deal with it.

Reactions: Fotiu29

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I doubt No.4 and No. 16 would be happy with this team.

I cannot remember a more unhappy team and a more unhappy fan base than now. I cannot place it except that wins are not fun, loses are not fun. The team play is an endless loop of the same thing.

The only thing interesting is the contorted, grime faces of those coaches as if it was the players fault that the system is so unenlightened. Hartnell said last night, they need to get back to "basics". Well,
Hartsy, they play the most "basic" system there is; the only thing more "basic" is not playing at all.......

Hard to believe that even overnight we are still on page 2 of this tread.

Two last rants....

Meltzer blamed many of the goals on Sanheim and Myers.....FALSE narrative........Elliot was at fault for goals 4 and 5. G V and C played their hearts out. Again, the only ones who made talented plays with at least a little creativity. The rest of the team is either afraid to make creative plays or they do not have the talent to make creative plays.

Yea!....the Phantoms play tonight. Another adventure. Sandstrom in goal tonight. See if he can string two excellent games in a row.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
As always, the top forwards do everything but their teammates let them down. Can't ask for more from Couts, G, or Jake.

Elliott, however, is absolutely horrific.
That is why he is a horrible back-up. He can give you a fighting chance if he plays every fifth day, but if he has to carry the load for even a short while forget about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad