Post-Game Talk: #48: FLYERS 5 at Canadiens 2, Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm haunted by the thought of giving up on Ghost and getting a reasonable, but not great, return and seeing him with a club, with a really good coaching staff, that lets him lead the rush and releases him from the prison he's been in on the very, very far left corner of our under-achieving power play.

I'm worried that we'd feel like fools for letting him go before we had a real coach at the helm who might know how to use the skills we've all seen.
I share your concerns. Would be terrible. On this current team he's probably in my top 3 favorite players.
I'd hate losing him.

Reactions: Foggy14

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This team has 11th overall pick written all over it.

Yeah, more or less.

BUT.

I'd be glad to see them shake off the malaise/habits that they seemed to develop in the waning days of Hakstoldom, see management ship out some parts that have no place in the team's future (good start with Leier, Weise, Weal, but still plenty work to do), and see some of these young guys get confidence.

If they finish 9 points out of a playoff spot after a strong second half that sees serious contributions from Hart and Patrick, further development from Sanheim, and the appearance of at least one of Morin/Myers, I'll call this season a win. They already have an extremely strong prospect pool--just pretend they picked Frost first overall this year, hell--and if they're planning on moving out guys like Gudas/Simmonds they can get either close prospects or young NHLers.

A first overall pick would be nice, but I honestly don't think the organization needs it as badly as some. It mostly needs a forever coach and some confidence, time, and pride.

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Another game I partly watch, another win. Love the way Hart has been playing. Calm, cool and maki g stops. Not giving up bad and untimely goals.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Jesus ****ing Christ, this guy.
I bet I know which fake fan you're referencing. ;) I don't even need to see it.

Let me guess... the whole team is bad, all the prospects are overrated, Fletcher is going to blow it all up, Montreal wasn't even trying, "whah whah whah reel fanz haet dis teem!"?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I bet I know which fake fan you're referencing. ;) I don't even need to see it.

Let me guess... the whole team is bad, all the prospects are overrated, Fletcher is going to blow it all up, Montreal wasn't even trying, "whah whah whah reel fanz haet dis teem!"?

No he was pleased with this win.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers outplayed once again, but I've been told they're a fast team, how come every good team outskates them?
They are playing more physical and with more grit (thanks Gritty) and have remembered how to score goals, though TK really has to stop blowing wide open chances.

They're still 14 points out of the playoffs with only 34 games left - SELL.

Patrick doesn't surprise me, he's been playing solid hockey, now the breaks are going his way and he's getting confidence.
Lindblom keeps doing the dirty work, but some have no appreciation.
JVR is finding his groove, the guy can score.

The defense is a mess, they need a major trade to balance it out.

Oh yeah, the kid is for real, still a couple years away, but Hart only had one bad play, the goal he should have snagged with his glove, a tenth of a second slow, in time he'll be on time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flyers outplayed once again, but I've been told they're a fast team, how come every good team outskates them?
They are playing more physical and with more grit (thanks Gritty) and have remembered how to score goals, though TK really has to stop blowing wide open chances.

They're still 14 points out of the playoffs with only 34 games left - SELL.

Patrick doesn't surprise me, he's been playing solid hockey, now the breaks are going his way and he's getting confidence.
Lindblom keeps doing the dirty work, but some have no appreciation.
JVR is finding his groove, the guy can score.

The defense is a mess, they need a major trade to balance it out.

Oh yeah, the kid is for real, still a couple years away, but Hart only had one bad play, the goal he should have snagged with his glove, a tenth of a second slow, in time he'll be on time.

Confidence matters. Weird how they got slower and more stationary in the 2nd after a rough first and then kept up with Montreal far better after they scored a couple.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm haunted by the thought of giving up on Ghost and getting a reasonable, but not great, return and seeing him with a club, with a really good coaching staff, that lets him lead the rush and releases him from the prison he's been in on the very, very far left corner of our under-achieving power play.

I'm worried that we'd feel like fools for letting him go before we had a real coach at the helm who might know how to use the skills we've all seen.

Giving up Ghost for anything that isn't a mindblowing return is pure folly. Judging him on a down year where nearly the whole defense has been defective is unwise and his cap hit vs capabilities is unmatched. There is no other dman who can bring so much for so little, when he's playing normally.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Nice to see Patrick USING THE WRIST SHOT.
It's been such a weapon for him all his life yet Ive rarely seen him loose one as a Flyer.
Need more of that going forward.

He's struggled to find the time and space to use it. That's the single biggest thing that's been missing from his game offensively. If he can figure out how to do that, he's going to score a lot more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad