Post-Game Talk: #48: FLYERS 5 at Canadiens 2, Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Trading away one of the most cost-effective players is a great way to manage cap space
Hasn't exactly been cost-effective this season. However, his contract also gives him more trade value. You may have noticed that the Flyers are struggling despite all of these allegedly great players, so maybe it's not such an unfathomable idea to deal one of them who has a lot of trade value.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Ghost was bad in the playoffs last year, and is having a down season.

So did/is most of the rest of the team. Singling him out for it seems kind of ridiculous.
I never singled out Ghost as the only player who had a bad playoffs and who is having a bad season.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Hasn't exactly been cost-effective this season. However, his contract also gives him more trade value. You may have noticed that the Flyers are struggling despite all of these allegedly great players, so maybe it's not such an unfathomable idea to deal one of them who has a lot of trade value.

I have noticed a player have a down year, yes. I have noticed the (almost) whole team to have a shit year too, and I would much rather have a fresh start next year after off-loading the bad contracts we have with long term bad players, rather than off-loading great contracts we have with guys we have seen do long term well.

Seriously. Allegedly good players.... Even if that was the optics of the GM, thinking I have a few players who are only allegedly good... First in line to get rid of must be the one who is the least of my problems cap management wise, yup.

Last edited:

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Weird how I never see names in these theoretical proposals for players like Ghost.

Makes you think some people just want to trade him and work out from there. :huh:

It is kinda funny because the sole answer to "Fire Dork Hapstork" was always "Yeah?! Gimme some names, you dont have any, huh!"

Reactions: Striiker

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Watched drunk with my friends last night. Patrick been money the last few games. Exciting to see. That goal last night was sexy.

Hart is a beast. Today in the Caps game an unscreened shot from Orpik snuck under Dalia's armpit from a few yards inside the blue, at the boards. I said dude, that WAS a Flyers goalie goal. But not anymore. This kid is 20.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I have noticed a player have a down year, yes. I have noticed the (almost) whole team to have a **** year too, and I would much rather have a fresh start next year after off-loading the bad contracts we have with long term bad players, rather than off-loading great contracts we have with guys we have seen do long term well.

Seriously. Allegedly good players.... Even if that was the optics of the GM, thinking I have a few players who are only allegedly good... First in line to get rid of must be the one who is the least of my problems cap management wise, yup.
You seem to be ignoring that potential trade return is a huge part of it.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Weird how I never see names in these theoretical proposals for players like Ghost.

Makes you think some people just want to trade him and work out from there. :huh:

It's the same thing with Voracek.

Let's trade these two great players and upgrade them...but I'm not going to provide names on who those upgrades are or how we're realistically going to get them.

Reactions: kudymen and Magua

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Dude stinks. Can't even crack pp1. Cut the dead weight

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
You seem to be ignoring that potential trade return is a huge part of it.

Guilty of that. Some people said doing it only for the right return. Never seen any suggestions what they are acutally expecting to get. His contract is valuable and so is his play when he is on - whom is the other team giving up when they are seemingly gambling on their ability to jump start him?

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It's the same thing with Voracek.

Let's trade these two great players and upgrade them...but I'm not going to provide names on who those upgrades are or how we're realistically going to get them.

We are not talented enough. Need more talent. Get us some talent.
Trade Voráček and Ghost

(Btw Ghosts Beer this is not directed at you - just putting this here because we are having a parallel ghost related discussion)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

That's exactly what it is.

It's clear they just have some ridiculous bias against the player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We are not talented enough. Need more talent. Get us some talent.
Trade Voráček and Ghost

(Btw Ghosts Beer this is not directed at you - just putting this here because we are having a parallel ghost related discussion)
1532130356213.jpg

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Guilty of that. Some people said doing it only for the right return. Never seen any suggestions what they are acutally expecting to get. His contract is valuable and so is his play when he is on - whom is the other team giving up when they are seemingly gambling on their ability to jump start him?
My personal idea is trading Ghost in a deal for a speed/skill top 6 forward. It would be a case where a team might have talent to spare at forward, but needs a high-skill defenseman who can QB the PP. In other words, skill for skill, but a positional exchange.

I'd be willing to trade Ghost in a deal for a more well-rounded top pairing defenseman, also, but I'm not sure that makes sense logistically in that I don't see another team making that type of exchange.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine thinking we need to add forwards at the expense of our defensemen. :dunce:

Too bad we don't have any skilled forwards in our prospect po- oohhh wait...

And who do we have with Ghosts skillset in our D prospect pool? Or how about in the entire league? How many defensemen do what he can do? And for that price?

Anyone remember this?

dce9e4e6ca5ed147526c78c0dfb8a63e.png

So dumb.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
My personal idea is trading Ghost in a deal for a speed/skill top 6 forward. It would be a case where a team might have talent to spare at forward, but needs a high-skill defenseman who can QB the PP. In other words, skill for skill, but a positional exchange.

I'd be willing to trade Ghost in a deal for a more well-rounded top pairing defenseman, also, but I'm not sure that makes sense logistically in that I don't see another team making that type of exchange.

Given what we've seen ghost do in the past and the contract itself (and the F needs we may have now), it would have to be (for me personally) a Carter/Richards level fleece - but if it's possible, who am i to say "no" to that. Appreciate the answer

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

i agree, i mean look at vegas what overpaid defensemen do they have? and they are playing like a cup team. i mean we can get mid level defenseman and still play like a cup team. it's good cap management and you have a better chance of getting a top talent player like panarin, mark stone, heck maybe get both of them.

i know fletch wants to go all in free agency, that's why homer brought him in.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's a better chance you land neither than getting just Panarin, just Stone, or getting both of them combined.

Let's say:

90% none
9% either
1% both

and that's being generous.

Reactions: kudymen

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Hagg and AMAC is not going to return much of anything. Nothing wrong with discussing trading Ghost or Gudas. We agree we probably need to upgrade the defensive group. You have to give to get. I love Ghost as much as anyone, but if he is to be part of something bigger I would listen at least.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
i agree, i mean look at vegas what overpaid defensemen do they have?

But what does THIS have to do with the discussion about trading Ghost? The guy with 4.5M AAV?

Overpaid? No. Good cap management? What is better cap management than his deal in the "trade him" scenario?

If the idea there is to simply save 4 point friggin 5 million by jettisoning Ghost to land a UFA, I have a few words how to call it but "good cap management" is none of them

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg and AMAC is not going to return much of anything. Nothing wrong with discussing trading Ghost or Gudas. We agree we probably need to upgrade the defensive group. You have to give to get. I love Ghost as much as anyone, but if he is to be part of something bigger I would listen at least.
Trading Ghost would make the defensive group worse.

It's ridiculous to discuss because there's no situation where it makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad