OT: 47th Obsequious Banter Thread - Patrick Thoresen is Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Planning on making my (theoretically) annual trek down to Philly for a Flyers game this weekend against the Jets. Now, the last two years, I've come down with a horrendous stomach bug that landed me in the hospital instead of the Flyers game, and then last year I got a call that my brother had died as I was sitting down in my seat.

So, what I'm saying is if there is an Amtrak train derailment this Friday coming from Boston, that's my bad.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I was just sitting behind a kid in class with a 2010 Flyers Eastern Conference champs t-shirt. One of the ones with the entire roster on the back. These were some of the names:

Arron Ashan
Blair Bretts
James Van Riemsdyck
Ian Lapiererre
Oscars Bartulis

I wish I had taken a picture.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I was just sitting behind a kid in class with a 2010 Flyers Eastern Conference champs t-shirt. One of the ones with the entire roster on the back. These were some of the names:

Arron Ashan
Blair Bretts
James Van Riemsdyck
Ian Lapiererre
Oscars Bartulis

Sometimes, in my nightmares, I see one of MSE's Gameday Threads with the defensive pairing of KRAJICEK - PARENT. That has been burned into my brain and I don't know if there are prescription drugs to cure it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Arron Ashan
Blair Bretts
James Van Riemsdyck
Ian Lapiererre
Oscars Bartulis

:laugh:

Close enough.

Edit: Gives me an excuse to pull out this picture I took.

IMG_20101128_190915.jpg

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
State College trying to ruin my drinking weekend. Bunch of dicks. :laugh:

Those townspeople are really trying to crush this event. But State Pattys day will never die.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
:laugh: Perfect!

A buddy of mine goes there and I'm trying to visit around that time. Does it get that crazy?

Yeah, but its like St. Pattys day crazy or Block Party crazy, or Homecoming Weekend crazy. The only reason townspeople don't like it is cause its just a student led thing and not the university. Oh and alot of the "guests" that come up to visit their friends on the weekend get really reckless. :laugh: Which happens. Most of the arrests and citations are to people that don't even go to the school and are just visiting. But the townspeople are really going over-board with trying to shut it down. But bars have been closed the last 2 years for the event so students have adapted pretty well. It'll basically be tons of house and apartment parties. Plenty to do.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I just now realized the typos on the shirt and almost died laughing.

I actually forgot to mention the Flyers best player Rily Cote.

Yeah, but its like St. Pattys day crazy or Block Party crazy, or Homecoming Weekend crazy. The only reason townspeople don't like it is cause its just a student led thing and not the university. Oh and alot of the "guests" that come up to visit their friends on the weekend get really reckless. :laugh: Which happens. Most of the arrests and citations are to people that don't even go to the school and are just visiting. But the townspeople are really going over-board with trying to shut it down. But bars have been closed the last 2 years for the event so students have adapted pretty well. It'll basically be tons of house and apartment parties. Plenty to do.

:laugh: Wow. That's actually the weekend he wants me to visit so if I go I'm sure it will be an awesome environment.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Anyone looking to buy speakers? I have a Vocopro Sub-1500 200W 15" Powered Subwoofer and Vocopro SV-600 a pair of 12" vocal speakers. They were part of a karaoke set up that was never really put together including these parts. I really don't know all that much about them but I see a general price on a quick google search, i'll definitely give them at a discount if a poster is interested before I put them up on eBay.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Anyone looking to buy speakers? I have a Vocopro Sub-1500 200W 15" Powered Subwoofer and Vocopro SV-600 a pair of 12" vocal speakers. They were part of a karaoke set up that was never really put together including these parts. I really don't know all that much about them but I see a general price on a quick google search, i'll definitely give them at a discount if a poster is interested before I put them up on eBay.

Can you PM me the price? I'd definitely be interested.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
This city definitely needs a big music festival that isn't thrown together last minute like Made In America was.

There's more than a few places it could take place in the city and it would bring in some much needed revenue for the city.

edit : And not that half assed ones that they did in the summer. A festival should be more than 12 hours on one day.

2 or 3 days at least

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I find it amusing that there is a hockey stat and thread called THOR (reference to first post in this thread).

I should have patented Thor! as mentioned in the first post.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1355521

"Total Hockey Rating (THoR): A comprehensive statistical rating of NHL Players"

At the start of March is the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference - basically the Super Bowl of sports analytics conferences.

One of the hockey related research papers is "Total Hockey Rating (THoR): A comprehensive statistical rating of National Hockey League forwards and defensemen based upon all on-ice events" - and is a very interesting look at valuing players.

Here is a link to the research paper:
http://www.sloansportsconference.com...e events.pdf

"Here we present a new comprehensive rating that accounts for other players on the ice will a give player as well as the impact of where a shift starts and of every non-shooting events such as turnovers and hits that occur when a player is on the ice. The impact of each play is determined by the probability that it leads to a goal for a player’s team (or their opponent) in the subsequent 20 seconds. The primary outcome of this work is a reliable methodology that can quantify the impact of players in creating and preventing goals for both forwards and defenseman. We present ratings for the top forwards and defensemen based on all events from the 2010-11 and 2011-12 NHL regular seasons."

Top 15 Defenseman (2010-2012) by THoR:
Team Player Position Wins Created
Philadelphia Flyers Kimmo Timonen D 5.73

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
This city definitely needs a big music festival that isn't thrown together last minute like Made In America was.

There's more than a few places it could take place in the city and it would bring in some much needed revenue for the city.

edit : And not that half assed ones that they did in the summer. A festival should be more than 12 hours on one day.

2 or 3 days at least

Made in America was awesome.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Now imagine it if capable promoters did it.

The whole festival was weirdly thrown together with random artists.

Rap, Hip hop, and then electronic music and pearl jam. What.

Haha I actually enjoyed that. I didn't ever think I'd get to see so many diverse groups I like perform together. I mean I saw Odd Future, X, and Skrillex share a stage. Pearl Jam shared a stage with Santigold and Passion Pit, along with fat Rick Ross and his stupid rap group.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Haha I actually enjoyed that. I didn't ever think I'd get to see so many diverse groups I like perform together. I mean I saw Odd Future, X, and Skrillex share a stage. Pearl Jam shared a stage with Santigold and Passion Pit, along with fat Rick Ross and his stupid rap group.

If they are going to do it like that, at least do it like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Firefly

I'd love a full fledged electronic music festival but I doubt we are stealing any thunder from NYC with them.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
If they are going to do it like that, at least do it like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Firefly

I'd love a full fledged electronic music festival but I doubt we are stealing any thunder from NYC with them.

Not sure if they still do it but you should check out the Starscape Festival down in Baltimore. All electronic. I went in 2010 and it was nuts.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
State College trying to ruin my drinking weekend. Bunch of dicks. :laugh:

Those townspeople are really trying to crush this event. But State Pattys day will never die.

Yeah my brother goes there and was sayin it might not be crazy this year, then followed up with "if you come, could you buy the kegs":laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad