OT: 47th Obsequious Banter Thread - Patrick Thoresen is Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
We are taking a break from jersey numbers to bring you Thor!

The atomic mass of Titanium is 47.

The international calling code to Norway is 47.

Therefore, Patrick Thoresen is Titanium.

His mortal name Patrick Thoresen is forever replaced by his superhuman moniker Thor! after his shotblocking performance in the playoffs.

The puck was injured.

Thor!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
That block was nutz.....:sarcasm:

But seriously, I oftentimes cringe at the thought of that block. My episodes as a young lad jumping ramps and smashing my loins against the bike handlebars or the bar below can't compare...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The puck is still doing physical rehab. The prescribed painkillers aren't enough anymore, so it has to break into vet offices to steal animal meds. A truly sad story. Nobody ever thinks of the puck.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
You know..

The UPS and Fedex clowns are getting ridiculous with how crappy they are.

Since about november they've left packages at my door and they were stolen even though I requested a signature be required and they are so slow now.

I ordered a textbook on the first that was supposed to get here by the 8th. It finally got in the city on the 11th and they still have not delivered the damn book

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Couldn't agree more as they've been doing this to me for years. I'm just lucky I've got a storm door they leave whatever packages dropped off inside of so it's not evident there's something of value just sitting there.

I can't remember when either of those 2 companies asked for my signature or left a slip. Sadly, the USPS seems to be the most considerate when they deliver packages in my experience, and who knows how much longer they'll be around.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
yep, USPS usually follows my requests pretty well.

I also hate lasership or whatever it is that Amazon also uses in this area during the holiday season. They are basically unmarked cars that just go around dropping off packages pretty late for deliveries. They are just as bad as fedex and ups

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ IIRC, I believe the determining factor for leaving the Flyers, after his pact has expired, and heading overseas was was that he wanted a one-contract which was not offered.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
I hate Villanova, not so much because the school is a Catholic school but because they wouldn't answer me about why they don't have a graduate program in physics/astronomy. Or else I would have applied at Villanova and do white dwarf research under Edward Sion, if admitted.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hate Villanova, not so much because the school is a Catholic school but because they wouldn't answer me about why they don't have a graduate program in physics/astronomy. Or else I would have applied at Villanova and do white dwarf research under Edward Sion, if admitted.

Likely funding issues.

Karter

Feb 16, 2012
Sherbrooke
So I'm reading an article on Bleacher Report and I see this in the comments :laugh:

CHhCluS.png

9feQu5e.png

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

I would be surprised if any schools who would answer an e-mail about why they don't have a graduate program in "Topic X". It's not like an astronomy graduate program is something that every university should have. Additionally, I would be surprised to find very many colleges in urban settings that do offer graduate level degrees in astronomy that aren't primarily theoretical work, due to the simple issue of light pollution.

If astronomy is your thing, check out Arizona State man. Do it. Their acceptance rates are pretty high for undergrads (like 88%!!!) and they're half of what Nova cost even for an out of state student. After 6 months the tuition wouldd drop to 10g's a year. They do A LOT of astromy stuff and you could possibly study under Lawrence Krauss if you got into the graduate program there. I think U. of Hawaii has a program that's decent also, might be worth looking into. I know they have a pretty sick observatory/telescope at the top of the mountain out there at least, so I'd be surprised if that wasn't attached to some school.

There is an effort by the physics society at my school to get our observatory reopened to the public, as well as have some upgrades and repairs put in. We want to convince Neil DeGrasse Tyson to come on down for an afternoon from Manhattan and do a little speaking thing, though I'm sure he charges a fee. Maybe he'll lower it for an event relavent to astronomy that is open to the public and at a college. We'll see.

Last edited:

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I'm sure a lot of the students would help chip in. He has a big following among college kids

It's a liberal arts school mostly. They'd be more likely to chip in for Lady Gaga than NDT. Additionally, college kids are notoriously broke and we would hope to make this a free event.

We had a speaker at the last meeting of the physics society to talk about the reopening of the observatory and he said a lot of the local amateur astronomy groups were really pumped about the possibility. Hopefully we can leverage that and push the whole positive community presence angle with whoever controls the purse strings. We'll see.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Beefy, the roar was omnipotent:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/makers-mark-stop-watering-down-its-whiskey-1C8410338

After backlash from customers, the producer of Maker's Mark bourbon is reversing a decision to cut the amount of alcohol in bottles of its famous whiskey.

Rob Samuels, Maker's Mark's chief operating officer, said Sunday that it is restoring the alcohol volume of its product to its historic level of 45 percent, or 90 proof. Last week, it said it was lowering the amount to 42 percent, or 84 proof, because of a supply shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino