Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So who is Dylan Samberg, is he another Poolman or is Trouba or maybe someone in between?
He was our 2nd round pick in 2017 and has had 2 really strong seasons in the NCAA and is a big part of one of the top teams. Hard to say where he ends up, but my best guess is a 2nd pairing shut down guy that chips in a little offense. He has all the tools to be a really good NHL defenseman.

Reactions: bustamente

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Boumeister is the one that comes to mind for me. Big, good skater that is strong defensively that can move the puck out of his end. Not flashy or super productive offensively.
Do you mean Jay Bouwmeester?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The Athletic did a great write up on Samberg's strengths, weaknesses, and how he projects as a pro.

However, many of hockey’s best defencemen aren’t dynamic scoring threats. Rather, they are modern-day “shutdown” defenders, who lean on their speed, range, stick work and transition as their primary strengths. Think of Niklas Hjalmarsson, Josh Manson, Brett Pesce or Jaccob Slavin.

These are defenders who, historically, tilt shot share and expected goal share in their team’s favour. They play an efficient brand of defence, excelling at defending to the point that they’re always playing offence.

Identifying these players in the draft is a tall task, but the Jets might’ve done so in 2017 with Dylan Samberg. The second-rounder enjoyed a seamless transition to NCAA hockey last year, logging big minutes on a Minnesota-Duluth squad that won the NCAA championship.

This season, Samberg has maintained his strong play and looks like a future minute-munching defenceman in the NHL.

The best we can do is identify the skills and traits of the modern-day shutdown defenders, compare them to Samberg’s and make a projection.

At the NCAA level, Samberg appears to fit this mold. He is one of the NCAA’s most efficient defenders, cruising through endless defensive zone starts and top competition. It’s most obvious in the way that he defends off the rush.

Samberg’s skating mechanics are a major reason why he’s so effective defensively despite the minutes he plays. He rarely plays at his explosive top speed, preferring to play at a more comfortable, albeit still quick, pace. This most evident in retrieving dump-ins. His stride relies heavily on crossovers to maximize energy efficiency, while also often using a shuffling motion, rather a full stride, to close gaps.

Samberg is a bit of mixed bag in transition. Let’s start with the good. He has legitimate puck-moving ability from his separation speed. He makes passes in a heel-to-heel stride, allowing him to square-up to open ice to look for options and giving him an escape plan. He makes long-range backhand passes looks easy and evading forecheckers with his separation gear look even easier. He can make some deft short-range plays that put his team directly on the attack again. The way that he seems to integrate transition thoughts into his defensive decisions is an encouraging feature.

Now for the bad. His puck management, handling and route-finding all present possible issues at the next level. He can be indecisive, preferring to hang onto the puck for an outlet option that won’t open. He skates himself into trouble, and sometimes, his puck skills simply fail him.

Samberg’s poor transition decisions and recklessness might be nothing more than occasional, but on a Minnesota-Duluth squad that manages the puck so well, he sticks out.

The offensive side of the game is similarly a mixed bag. He’ll never be confused with a dynamic offensive player, as there are games — weekends even — where Samberg fails to make any notable offensive plays. He’s an adequate shooter and passer lacking offensive timing. But there are games where Samberg’s offensive timing aligns with his teammates, such as Jan. 18th against Miami University.

Despite owning a powerful shot, shooting is a weakness in Samberg’s offensive toolkit. He averages 4.8 shots per game; however, just 41 of his 110 attempts have hit the net. That’s just 37.2 percent of shots on target, which is the lowest rate among Duluth regulars by nearly 10 percent. Improving his shooting accuracy, as well as using his skating to traverse across the top of the offensive zone to scan for better lanes, will improve this rate.

Overall, Samberg is one of college hockey’s best prospects. While his flaws may be easy to point out, they are also fixable areas that will further enhance Samberg’s already high potential.

Those are a bunch of the salient points. The article goes much more in depth about him.
Why Jets prospect Dylan Samberg has the making of a...

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
So..... Sam Bergs team Minnesota is playing Bowling Green on the 3/30 and then if they win the winner of Arizona/Quinipec.

If they win both games they will be in the final 4 again this year.

Would like to see them repeat as National champions. It is just 4 more wins. Good expierence for his development.

If they lose a game this weekend he could sign with the Jets for next season and a ATO with The Moose to finnish off the season like Kovacevic did.

Either way he should sign a pro contract with the Jets for next year 2019-20..... As I think he has accomplished all he needs to in College Hockey...... time to start getting $ paid.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So..... Sam Bergs team Minnesota is playing Bowling Green on the 3/30 and then if they win the winner of Arizona/Quinipec.

If they win both games they will be in the final 4 again this year.

Would like to see them repeat as National champions. It is just 4 more wins. Good expierence for his development.

If they lose a game this weekend he could sign with the Jets for next season and a ATO with The Moose to finnish off the season like Kovacevic did.

Either way he should sign a pro contract with the Jets for next year 2019-20..... As I think he has accomplished all he needs to in College Hockey...... time to start getting $ paid.
Yup, the farm boy from Minnesota needs himself a brand new pickup truck with the year 1 signing bonus. :thumbu:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'm going to stick to my Ryan McDonagh comparison (as a ceiling, of course)

Both had very similar NCAA careers, both used more in a defensive role despite it being obvious the offensive talents were there. Good skaters, good first pass, good defensively. Samberg's got the size advantage.

Again, best case scenario would be a McDonagh, but I have a hard time seeing him not becoming an NHL defenseman.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Too bad the moose couldn’t have used Samberg for a playoff run. Either way Chevy needs to get him a first class ticket to Winnipeg for some white out festivities and show him the town. Get him on the practice squad and make him feel at home.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Too bad the moose couldn’t have used Samberg for a playoff run. Either way Chevy needs to get him a first class ticket to Winnipeg for some white out festivities and show him the town. Get him on the practice squad and make him feel at home.

It will be interesting. Avs signed Makar, and I believe by doing so, burned one year of his ELC, which in turn, makes him available for the expansion draft. Samberg I think is a player the Jets want protected for the expansion draft. And we already have 10 defenseman on the roster, albeit some our placeholders. But I wouldn't want to burn a year of his contract, though on HNIC they said that is the asking price to leave college. If you are not going to pay bonuses, one year of a hockey contract for a playoff run seems like a decent tradeoff, for the player.

Reactions: mondo3

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
It will be interesting. Avs signed Makar, and I believe by doing so, burned one year of his ELC, which in turn, makes him available for the expansion draft. Samberg I think is a player the Jets want protected for the expansion draft. And we already have 10 defenseman on the roster, albeit some our placeholders. But I wouldn't want to burn a year of his contract, though on HNIC they said that is the asking price to leave college. If you are not going to pay bonuses, one year of a hockey contract for a playoff run seems like a decent tradeoff, for the player.
Makar only needs to be protected if he plays a game these playoffs:

I think it's the same as they're both in the same draft year. I'd imagine he and his agent are pushing hard to sign an ELC just to burn a year, but there's much less risk of him playing a game for exposure in Expansion Draft.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Doesn't matter if he burns a year on his contract anyways. If he plays a single NHL game, then he'll have to be protected for the expansion draft. If he doesn't play a game, he won't be. Burning a year off of his ELC isn't really that important. Get him signed, have him earn a signing bonus, and then he'll have two years to work himself to his next contract.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

I think if they signed him to an ATO for the remainder and then signs an ELC in the off season he is expansion draft exempt. I think Colorado plans on playing Makar in the playoffs right away which would explain the ELC

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Might actually be better for his opinion of the team if he's not with them. Might as well introduce him fresh next year rather than at the last gasp of a tire fire.

Reactions: blues10

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think if they signed him to an ATO for the remainder and then signs an ELC in the off season he is expansion draft exempt. I think Colorado plans on playing Makar in the playoffs right away which would explain the ELC

ATOs are only in the AHL; you have to have an NHL SPC to be eligible to play in the NHL. As the Moose are fundamentally eliminated, today's their last game. It would have to be an ELC or bust. As was already explained, you only burn a year off your ELC if you sign right away; you're still expansion draft exempt. The Avs and Jets lose nothing but 1 year of team control if they sign Makar/Samberg to ELCs this season. In the grand scheme of things, that's not much.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad