Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's something I thought as well. I wonder how much of Samberg's success is due to Fox, though. He has about the best defensive partner you can get.
Samberg has also played on RD with other partners (Lindgren, I believe), and he's been effective on that pairing, too. Samberg looks like he could play with a lot of different types of partners. He's big and mobile, has a good defensive stick, and moves the puck calmly and efficiently. He has the kind of calm and relaxed style that makes you feel confident. Obviously, USA coaches agree. The next step in his development is developing a stronger offensive game. He looks like he has good tools for that... good skater, solid with the puck, good vision and passing, big shot...

Reactions: GNP and ps241

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Whoa. I don't follow minor leagues at all but Samberg is USA's top LD and has apparently been rock solid. Stanley doesn't make team Canada at all. Is it safe to say Samberg>Stanley? Serious question

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Whoa. I don't follow minor leagues at all but Samberg is USA's top LD and has apparently been rock solid. Stanley doesn't make team Canada at all. Is it safe to say Samberg>Stanley? Serious question

Full disclosure Stanley was the one player I didn’t want us to take at 22 and Samberg was my choice for our pick in the 2nd round.

That being said to me it’s apples and oranges. Logan was not allowed to show off his skills at this tournament so I don’t think it’s fair to compair. Stanley has had a solid draft +2 season and I am happy for that and that is a bigger sample size than a short tourney.

Samberg is more my type of player but that is a personal preference and my hopes are both guys pan out.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

I think it was always safe to say that. Stanley was a guy who seemed to split scouts down the middle, with half saying he's a late 1st rounder and half saying he's a 3rd rounder. Samberg seemed to be consistently ranked as a high 2nd round talent, though perhaps this was underrating him a bit due to being cautious about a guy who only had a small sample against top talent.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wanna see a Myers, Stanley, Lowry, Wheeler, Robinson 5 man unit ;) Although actually, that would be really freaky.

:laugh: I've had a similar thought but with Fefe instead of Robinson. Mark would be the runt at 6'3", 207. :laugh: And that one could actually happen.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
All throughout the pre-tourney selection, everyone kept calling him the 7th D despite people always penciling him in as Fox's D partner. Now he's good. Who knew?!

Even the regular posters in the US national team threads expected 6/7th dman.

Samberg's impressed the coaches and has earned his ice time, and he just keeps getting better.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
All throughout the pre-tourney selection, everyone kept calling him the 7th D despite people always penciling him in as Fox's D partner. Now he's good. Who knew?!

I always called him on the team. Never waivered in my belief after how he looked this summer at the USA camp.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

It's hard to get a bead on a guy who has so few games against real competition.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's hard to get a bead on a guy who has so few games against real competition.

That was the cause for my concern at draft time. I was not convinced that the Jets scouts could have gotten a reliable read watching him dominate inferior competition but, once again, they appear to have known what they were doing. :laugh: :)

Reactions: ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That was the cause for my concern at draft time. I was not convinced that the Jets scouts could have gotten a reliable read watching him dominate inferior competition but, once again, they appear to have known what they were doing. :laugh: :)
I think what turned the corner for some scouts was the 14 games he played in the USHL at the end of the season. Quotes like this along with the full skill set made him seem pretty attractive as a mid 2nd round selection.

Luckily, Samberg also played 14 games (regular season plus playoffs) for the USHL’s Waterloo Black Hawks. Thanks to the USHL’s streaming service we did get to seem him there. Samberg put up two goals and five points in 14 games as he adjusted to the league. He took a big role on the Black Hawks defence, and helped the team reach the Western Conference Final before falling to the Sioux City Musketeers.

I also came across a couple other quotes that expressed being quite impressed how quickly and easily he adapted to stronger competition. It left me with the impression the kid was just starting to scratch the surface.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Strangely enough same thing could be said about the guy who went 4th overall to Colorado.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I look forward to seeing the 2017 redrafts in a few years and Samberg is in the top 20 or so. :) seems like a gem.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think what turned the corner for some scouts was the 14 games he played in the USHL at the end of the season. Quotes like this along with the full skill set made him seem pretty attractive as a mid 2nd round selection.

Luckily, Samberg also played 14 games (regular season plus playoffs) for the USHL’s Waterloo Black Hawks. Thanks to the USHL’s streaming service we did get to seem him there. Samberg put up two goals and five points in 14 games as he adjusted to the league. He took a big role on the Black Hawks defence, and helped the team reach the Western Conference Final before falling to the Sioux City Musketeers.

I also came across a couple other quotes that expressed being quite impressed how quickly and easily he adapted to stronger competition. It left me with the impression the kid was just starting to scratch the surface.

Yup, that seemed to do it. I was still skeptical of the small sample.

He still has a long way to go but that is normal for a mid 2nd pick. My doubts have been eased.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
4 assist in almost 20 N.C.A.A games is a slow start in college for a premium prospect.

I xpected more after his good summer camp with team U.S.A

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Strangely enough same thing could be said about the guy who went 4th overall to Colorado.

I think it was said by some. I was skeptical. Not that I didn't think he would be a good player but I thought he was being overrated because of production against inferior competition. I still think that might be the case. He is not ripping up the NCAA. He is certainly having a good WJC tournament though. So are several others who were taken after him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
4 assist in almost 20 N.C.A.A games is a slow start in college for a premium prospect.

I xpected more after his good summer camp with team U.S.A

He joined a College roster that is stacked on D. He was earmarked for the USHL but one D man departed Minnesota-Duluth early. Dylan has done well considering how massive a jump he made. He was not really a premium prospect he was a riser from the wrong side of the US Hockey development tracks that has kicked the door down.

This tournament is displaying that he has some interesting potential.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He joined a College roster that is stacked on D. He was earmarked for the USHL but one D man departed Minnesota-Duluth early. Dylan has done well considering how massive a jump he made. He was not really a premium prospect he was a riser from the wrong side of the US Hockey development tracks that has kicked the door down.

This tournament is displaying that he has some interesting potential.

Hate to burst your bubble P.S...241

- but we have different definitions of a stacked Defence.

4 Rookies on the squad ( 2 18 year olds & 2 19 year old rookies) other than .... Sam-berg (18 years old). That's 5 Rookies in total. Only one of these 4 other rookies has been drafted. Michael Anderson drafted by L.A. in the 4th round of 2017. ( same draft year as Sam Berg)

2 2nd year players on Defence both undrated.

- Nicky Wolf-- 8 pts this year so far and 12 last year in his rookie season.

- Jarrod Hilderman-- 5 pts this year so far ...... 1 point in 11 games last year as a freshman.

They must be using Sam-Berg as a shut down D-men. That may account for his low 4 assists in almost 20 games.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I just realised that Minnesota-Duluth had three defensemen on team USA: Perunovich, Anderson and Samberg. Moreover, they even had two forwards on the team as well (J.Anderson and Tufte). That's pretty impressive.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

4 Rookies on the squad other than .... Sam-berg. That's 5 Rookies in total. Only one of these 4 other rookies has been drafted. Michael Anderson drafted by L.A. in the 4th round of 2017. ( same draft year as Sam Berg)

- Jarrod Hilderman-- 5 pts this year so far ...... 1 point in 11 games last year as a freshman.

They must be using Sam-Berg as a shut down D-men. That may account for his low 4 assists in almost 20 games.
Only two 18 year olds on D (Samberg and Matt Anderson).

Other D...

Perunovich (19) - Freshman at 19. Small offensive D.
Michael Anderson (18) - Freshman. 4th rounder for LAK.
Wolff (21) - 2nd year at UMD, but started at age 20.
Hilderman (20) - 2nd year at UMD, but started at age 19.
Roehl (19) - Sophomore
Matt Anderson (18) - Freshman
McCormack (23) - Senior

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

4 Rookies on the squad ( 2 18 year olds & 2 19 year old rookies) other than .... Sam-berg (18 years old). That's 5 Rookies in total. Only one of these 4 other rookies has been drafted. Michael Anderson drafted by L.A. in the 4th round of 2017. ( same draft year as Sam Berg)

He is playing as the 6th dman on the squad and was probably told he would be the 6th Dman. Most of the time teams make commitments to players to get them to come there. I bet half that D that are currently there were told where they were going to play and how much time they would get.

His teammate,Scott Perunovich, is the leading scorer of that team and he isn't playing top 4 for team USA at the World Juniors. Samberg is. Within his peer group he IS a top D man currently and that bodes very well for the future. I have no doubt that he will move up in the lineup at Minnesota/Duluth this season and next.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nice summary of Samberg's WJC-20 tournament from a diligent USA Hockey observer and HFB poster... (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-team-usa-roster-talk.2171841/page-30#post-139849433)

• Dylan Samberg: Our best d-man all tournament. He was a rock in his own end, physical, and did really well advancing the puck. This tournament should be a real confidence booster for him as he's a very inexperienced d-man. He'll anchor the top pair next tournament.
Finished the tournament with 4 points in 7 games (tied with Brannstrom).

It was a very encouraging performance from Samberg. He looks like he might be a really good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad