Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice summary of Samberg's WJC-20 tournament from a diligent USA Hockey observer and HFB poster... (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-team-usa-roster-talk.2171841/page-30#post-139849433)

• Dylan Samberg: Our best d-man all tournament. He was a rock in his own end, physical, and did really well advancing the puck. This tournament should be a real confidence booster for him as he's a very inexperienced d-man. He'll anchor the top pair next tournament.
Finished the tournament with 4 points in 7 games (tied with Brannstrom).

It was a very encouraging performance from Samberg. He looks like he might be a really good one.

Yup he had a very good tournament and that is high praise.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Nice summary of Samberg's WJC-20 tournament from a diligent USA Hockey observer and HFB poster... (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-team-usa-roster-talk.2171841/page-30#post-139849433)

• Dylan Samberg: Our best d-man all tournament. He was a rock in his own end, physical, and did really well advancing the puck. This tournament should be a real confidence booster for him as he's a very inexperienced d-man. He'll anchor the top pair next tournament.

It was a very encouraging performance from Samberg. He looks like he might be a really good one.

Thanks for posting this. Good to see Samberg gaining recognition and a foothold in the national team. And William H is indeed a great poster -- pretty much everything an outside observer needs to know about US hockey can be found in his posts.

Reactions: ps241

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I've heard Samberg has exceeded expectations thus far. If anyone follows Samberg closer than I feel free to comment on his progress in the last 8 months.

I wouldn't necessarily say that he's exceeded expectations. People were just underrating him. He has lots of raw skill but he is still developing his offensive game at the pros. Didn't watch the WJSS, but I heard he was solid but unspectacular.

Reactions: Whileee
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't necessarily say that he's exceeded expectations. People were just underrating him. He has lots of raw skill but he is still developing his offensive game at the pros. Didn't watch the WJSS, but I heard he was solid but unspectacular.

He hasn't even signed a contract. He's still playing college hockey and isn't developing his game in a any pro league.

Reactions: scarbrow21

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I've heard Samberg has exceeded expectations thus far. If anyone follows Samberg closer than I feel free to comment on his progress in the last 8 months.
He's not a guy who's going to wow you offensively. It might be there and it did start to kind of come around last year more towards the end of the season for him but he's a steady style of defender who can play a physical game. He's 3rd on my list of prospects for the Jets after Vesalainen and Niku.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
He's not a guy who's going to wow you offensively. It might be there and it did start to kind of come around last year more towards the end of the season for him but he's a steady style of defender who can play a physical game. He's 3rd on my list of prospects for the Jets after Vesalainen and Niku.

Looking forward to seeing him at the World Juniors. I'm considering going this year with the tourney in Vancouver & Victoria.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Whoa. I don't follow minor leagues at all but Samberg is USA's top LD and has apparently been rock solid. Stanley doesn't make team Canada at all. Is it safe to say Samberg>Stanley? Serious question

I think as of right now, Stanley is meant to be on the bottom pair. Samberg has been improving super well, but I don't want to get past my expectations or keep my hopes up and just wait patiently then see what happens.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Looking forward to seeing him at the World Juniors. I'm considering going this year with the tourney in Vancouver & Victoria.
Another year of absolutely horrific time zones...

As for the Manson comparison, he was drafted in his draft +1 as a late birthday. He put up 4 points in 33 NCAA games in the following season (D+2) and never managed to score more than 10 points in a season. Samberg ended up with 13 points in 42 NCAA games in his D+1. Promising, no?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I'd love to go to the WJC in either Van or Victoria. Not in the financials this year for us but I'd love to go watch some of these prospects in person instead of online or in video clips!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I completely agree. I think many in the scouting community were well-aware of Samberg's tools and potential, but I think he surprised many at the WJC-20 where he became a core D on USA.

I think the main early questions about him related to his hockey sense and whether he could handle himself in terms of decision-making at a higher level. As I've noted before, I think he's really showed strong capabilities in that area. I really like how he reads the play and moves the puck, particularly in his own zone. I expect his offense is going to pick up.

It's perhaps optimistic, but he might turn into a good minute-munching #2-3 D in his prime.

I think he's played on RD some, which might give the Jets a bit of flexibility down the line. If not, he could be part of an outstanding LD group with Morrissey and Niku.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another year of absolutely horrific time zones...

As for the Manson comparison, he was drafted in his draft +1 as a late birthday. He put up 4 points in 33 NCAA games in the following season (D+2) and never managed to score more than 10 points in a season. Samberg ended up with 13 points in 42 NCAA games in his D+1. Promising, no?
Parayko might be another interesting comparison. Big, athletic mobile D that was a bit of a late developer. Parayko was a low-scoring D in the AJHL in his draft year, and had 17 points in 33 games in his first NCAA season in his D+2 season.

Of course it's a bit of a dream for Samberg to turn out like Manson or Parayko, but he's tracking very well at this point. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to improve his offensive role and productivity in the NCAA this season.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
What's his upside...top pairing D-man? Does he have offensive skills to play on the PP?

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's his upside...top pairing D-man? Does he have offensive skills to play on the PP?

He's a long shot to be a top pairing d-man but he definitely has the skills to play on the PP. I compare him a lot to players like Poolman, Kulikov and Josh Manson as other people have mentioned. He has the potential to surpass those players but I think we'll learn a lot about his upside this next upcoming season.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

That is very encouraging to read - Thanks for posting!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bumping this thread because the last few games watching how effective the Chiarot-Niku pairing has been gives me considerable enthusiasm for a future Samberg-Niku pairing in the Jets' top-4.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bumping this thread because the last few games watching how effective the Chiarot-Niku pairing has been gives me considerable enthusiasm for a future Samberg-Niku pairing in the Jets' top-4.

I think Samberg could be the perfect Buff partner. Calm, poised, great breakouts and defensive positioning. The only trouble is he likely won't be on our roster full time until the 2020/21 season, though could be earlier but Buff may not be as effective then.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea that could be a hell of a one two punch. Niku looks so comfortable on the right side that I could see this happening eventually. Maurice will be reluctant to combine anyone on the back end without veteran accreditation so we will have to wait but that would work.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kovacevic is tied for 2nd in team scoring which is scary.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

To be honest, I wasn't expecting this news. If this is accurate, it would be super sweet. I think he also broke the news about Tucker Poolman signing with the Jets as well.

i'm confused.
thought it was almost a given that he'd sign vs spending another year in college.
i mean, i'm happy to hear that he's signing

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Hope the Moose make it to the playoffs so Samberg can keep playing.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
i'm confused.
thought it was almost a given that he'd sign vs spending another year in college.
i mean, i'm happy to hear that he's signing

I don't think we heard any which way or another as to whether he'd sign or not. He already has a National Championship, so there's no real hockey reason for him to stay there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

To be honest, I wasn't expecting this news. If this is accurate, it would be super sweet. I think he also broke the news about Tucker Poolman signing with the Jets as well.

IMO it is the perfect time for him to move to the next level, and he might do it on the back of another NCAA championship. Minnesota Duluth is the second seed nationally entering the regionals round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad