Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Ceiling Bobby Orr, floor where he is now ;)

In all seriousness, if he could become a Ryan McDonagh like another poster said, that would be incredible.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Doesn't matter if he burns a year on his contract anyways. If he plays a single NHL game, then he'll have to be protected for the expansion draft. If he doesn't play a game, he won't be. Burning a year off of his ELC isn't really that important. Get him signed, have him earn a signing bonus, and then he'll have two years to work himself to his next contract.
Agree. Seems like a fair trade off to get the kid signed. Get your year 1 signing bonus now, and then the year 2 signing bonus July 1st to put some coin in his pocket. All with the firm understanding no games this season and he will need to earn a job on camp in September or he plays on the Moose.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is this going to be one of those situations where Chevy pretty much has to sign him now and lose a year off the ELC or Samberg could just decide to play out his last year of college and go UFA?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've heard a couple of sources say he will sign with the Jets in the summer.
Chevy did seem to be optimistic when asked about Samberg during yesterday's interview. It is a good sign that they will be meeting/talking this week. Signing Samberg and have him start preparing for camp would be a good start to a busy summer for Chevy.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
After winning B2B nattys, not sure what else a guy has left to do in the NCAA, besides maybe a Hobey Baker. There's the education factor but he could be like Copp and work on it during the summer. Hopefully Chevy signs him soon.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Pretty sure I read somewhere he planned on signing this summer. Don’t we have to wait until after July 1 to keep exempt from the Exp draft?

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Really nice article in the Free Press states he has intentions of staying in school for the coming year. We shall see.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really nice article in the Free Press states he has intentions of staying in school for the coming year. We shall see.
I'd bet that it will depend on whether he gets a clear signal from the Jets about playing with the Moose or with the Jets.

My current preference would be for the Jets to have another mini youth movement that would get a young player like Samberg into the line-up, even if it means a bit of a step back next season.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Even if Dylan Samberg returns for his Junior season, I'm okay with Kovacevic being on the team. I wonder if this would impact whether they sign Leon Gawanke or not.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I'd bet that it will depend on whether he gets a clear signal from the Jets about playing with the Moose or with the Jets.

My current preference would be for the Jets to have another mini youth movement that would get a young player like Samberg into the line-up, even if it means a bit of a step back next season.

If he signs it’s almost guaranteed he plays on the Moose to start.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

If he goes back to school next year.... vs playing the whole season with the Moose $ wise will be pretty close and he will get a 3rd year of university in. He would just sign in March 2020 after his 3rd season and collect his Signing bonus and a N.H.L. paycheck for a few weeks.

However..... I believe development wise he should play for the Moose for the entire season. After 2 consecutive NCAA championships there is not much left to accomplish in College hockey.

We will just have to wait and see....

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If he goes back to school next year.... vs playing the whole season with the Moose $ wise will be pretty close and he will get a 3rd year of university in. He would just sign in March 2020 after his 3rd season and collect his Signing bonus and a N.H.L. paycheck for a few weeks.

However..... I believe development wise he should play for the Moose for the entire season. After 2 consecutive NCAA championships there is not much left to accomplish in College hockey.

We will just have to wait and see....
One problem with this is UMD tends to play until mid April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad