Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Dylan stated in an interview a while back that he intends to go back for another year of college.
Yikes, that’s no good. At this point I’d be concerned about him going all 4 years and losing his rights.

Is it a matter of posturing for negotiations sake, perhaps?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yikes, that’s no good. At this point I’d be concerned about him going all 4 years and losing his rights.

Is it a matter of posturing for negotiations sake, perhaps?
The allure of a 3 peat vs signing an entry level deal. There are no one way deals for first contracts, right? Maybe Samberg (and his agent) want to see what shakes out with the Jets coaching and the D? If Trouba is dealt (and a D replacement is not part of the return), and Chairot and Myers pursue UFA - that is 3 top 6 spots opening up.

Reactions: SM

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy said that they were texting back and forth for the last couple of days and I am guessing that he will be signed in the next few weeks.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The allure of a 3 peat vs signing an entry level deal. There are no one way deals for first contracts, right? Maybe Samberg (and his agent) want to see what shakes out with the Jets coaching and the D? If Trouba is dealt (and a D replacement is not part of the return), and Chairot and Myers pursue UFA - that is 3 top 6 spots opening up.
My guess is that Samberg wants to have a good idea as to whether he'll be with the Jets or Moose next season. I would think that a season with the Moose is less preferable to another season at UMD from Samberg's perspective. Lots of NCAA D and forwards go straight from college to the NHL, so I would think that is the preferred route for Samberg.

My take? Sign him and play him with the Jets. He won't be a big step down from Chiarot, Kulikov and Morrow on LD, and he has a ton more potential to improve during the season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My guess is that Samberg wants to have a good idea as to whether he'll be with the Jets or Moose next season. I would think that a season with the Moose is less preferable to another season at UMD from Samberg's perspective. Lots of NCAA D and forwards go straight from college to the NHL, so I would think that is the preferred route for Samberg.

My take? Sign him and play him with the Jets. He won't be a big step down from Chiarot, Kulikov and Morrow on LD, and he has a ton more potential to improve during the season.

Playing him in the NHL before he is ready can do nothing but harm. Not an issue they should even discuss with prospects. That's for the coaching staff to decide.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Playing him in the NHL before he is ready can do nothing but harm. Not an issue they should even discuss with prospects. That's for the coaching staff to decide.
But he actually might be ready. He spent one more full season in the NCAA than Trouba did before his first NHL season. The NCAA is a much tougher league than juniors, and closer to the AHL. Many NCAA D have transitioned directly to the NHL. Samberg is big and mobile and has a top end defensive game. I don't think it's a big stretch to see him transitioning directly to the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But he actually might be ready. He spent one more full season in the NCAA than Trouba did before his first NHL season. The NCAA is a much tougher league than juniors, and closer to the AHL. Many NCAA D have transitioned directly to the NHL. Samberg is big and mobile and has a top end defensive game. I don't think it's a big stretch to see him transitioning directly to the NHL.

I realize that. But I don't think it is something to be negotiated. When the agent brings that up the answer should always be that it will depend on the coaches' evaluation of him. It is up to him to win a spot.

My thinking is that he likely starts the season in the AHL but replaces Kulikov when he is traded before the TD.

But regardless of how that works out, it shouldn't be affecting whether he signs this year or not because it should be unknown.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I realize that. But I don't think it is something to be negotiated. When the agent brings that up the answer should always be that it will depend on the coaches' evaluation of him. It is up to him to win a spot.

My thinking is that he likely starts the season in the AHL but replaces Kulikov when he is traded before the TD.

But regardless of how that works out, it shouldn't be affecting whether he signs this year or not because it should be unknown.

Yeah I see him starting in the A as well. I fully expect Chevy to bring back Beaulieu as well with the way he talked about him in the exit interview. I can also see the Jets wanting to give Stanley some games as well. Samberg will start as the #1LD in the A and work his way up from there. Of course unless he blows the doors off at camp. But I'm not expecting it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If he makes the team, (I don't think he does because Poolman and Niku probably do) it should be on merit and whether he can play with the big boys, but he hasn't played a game in the NHL so nobody knows what he will look like against pros.
If he isn't the top prospect we have, (I think he is) he is in the top 3 and he won't be rushed. I don't think Maurice will play three rookie D and I don't think I would either. Especially when there is a likelihood that one of the starting LHD is going to be at least one of Kuli or Chiarot or Bealieu.
I'd love to see him come in and show well enough that he sticks with the team. If he makes the team, it won't be as the 7D or 4LHD.
I'd be more than happy if he turned out to be a Josh Manson type of D man.
The only thing I can see holding up negotiations is the bonuses. Does anyone know exactly what bonuses he would likely get?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I'm not sure I'd be worried about him waiting out and becoming a UFA, tbh.

And if that was the case and Chevy knew, I'm sure he would be moved because he seems to have value. Honestly, this is kinda what scares me about drafting heavily on the US side... Not all are stoked to come up and play in Canada..m

Reactions: jetsforever

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

And if that was the case and Chevy knew, I'm sure he would be moved because he seems to have value. Honestly, this is kinda what scares me about drafting heavily on the US side... Not all are stoked to come up and play in Canada..m
Apparently a lot of Canadians prefer to play in the states also....so either way the Canadian teams are pooched.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb

I agree we are overweighted with u.s. players. St. Louis for example has 16 Canadians. I don’t want to sound like Don Cherry, but I do think the Canadian players tend to dig a little deeper during playoffs and Olympic play. Just my opinion. I would never argue that they have more skill though.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Apparently a lot of Canadians prefer to play in the states also....so either way the Canadian teams are pooched.

When you can buy this home in Kits in Vancouver for $37 mil
2815-Point-Grey-Road-Vancouver.jpg

Or this the most expensive home in Tampa by value at $18 million
4d6e81dabf36ff671214ef53ba3ca1bcl-w1o.jpg

I think it's easy to see why. Plus you pay less in taxes.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
When you can buy this home in Kits in Vancouver for $37 mil
2815-Point-Grey-Road-Vancouver.jpg

Or this the most expensive home in Tampa by value at $18 million
4d6e81dabf36ff671214ef53ba3ca1bcl-w1o.jpg

I think it's easy to see why. Plus you pay less in taxes.

Well one city is probably the center for the biggest money laundering operation in the world right now and the other isn't.

Reactions: lanky

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I agree we are overweighted with u.s. players. St. Louis for example has 16 Canadians. I don’t want to sound like Don Cherry, but I do think the Canadian players tend to dig a little deeper during playoffs and Olympic play. Just my opinion. I would never argue that they have more skill though.
Yea and last time Pitts won the cup they had 18 americans on their team . Good players come from all over , and i'm Canadian

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't think an agent asks directly for a client to make the team nor does a GM guarantee a spot to a prospect. It is more about opportunity. Samberg's representative would be wanting to give his client an honest appraisal of the likelihood of him starting in the NHL. The Jets have Chairot, Beaulieu and Morrow unsigned on the left and Trouba on the right. If 2 of the 3 LHD get re-signed Samberg is very likely starting in the A no matter what happens in camp short of him playing at a Morrissey level. If a Trouba trade returns a stud D prospect the depth chart becomes even more murky.

The kid may prefer a 3rd year at UMD over playing on the Moose if he knows there are 4 or 5 LHD above him that aren't waiver eligible. IMO the peanuts ($70,000) a player gets in the A is a detriment to getting a university player to leave school so this needs to made up in creative ways. A fat easy to obtain performance bonus a year or 2 down the line might do the trick, but the Jets have to be careful with their cap going forward. As badly as I want to see him signed I can see why things are going slow. I just hope the kid really just wants to take the next step over taking a run at a 3rd NCAA championship.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think an agent asks directly for a client to make the team nor does a GM guarantee a spot to a prospect. It is more about opportunity. Samberg's representative would be wanting to give his client an honest appraisal of the likelihood of him starting in the NHL. The Jets have Chairot, Beaulieu and Morrow unsigned on the left and Trouba on the right. If 2 of the 3 LHD get re-signed Samberg is very likely starting in the A no matter what happens in camp short of him playing at a Morrissey level. If a Trouba trade returns a stud D prospect the depth chart becomes even more murky.

The kid may prefer a 3rd year at UMD over playing on the Moose if he knows there are 4 or 5 LHD above him that aren't waiver eligible. IMO the peanuts ($70,000) a player gets in the A is a detriment to getting a university player to leave school so this needs to made up in creative ways. A fat easy to obtain performance bonus a year or 2 down the line might do the trick, but the Jets have to be careful with their cap going forward. As badly as I want to see him signed I can see why things are going slow. I just hope the kid really just wants to take the next step over taking a run at a 3rd NCAA championship.

70k is a common AHL salary on a 2 way contract, but is it the max on an ELC? He would get up to 92.5k immediate signing bonus, plus another 92.5k July 1, plus the 70k. That is not peanuts. Even the 70k alone is not peanuts to a kid who has yet to receive his first real paycheck. I had a pretty well paid job and my best year was 60k. :laugh: That was a few years ago. OK, it was quite a few years ago. But still, 70k is not bad for an entry level position for most new graduates from university.

Just anecdotally, it seems to me that the kids who are ready for the next step sign after 2 years of NCAA or else they go 4 years and UFA. Those who fall in between usually do it because they are not yet ready. There are exceptions of course, but I don't like it if a kid who is ready chooses to go back to NCAA. It is illogical. He turns his back on a quarter million that he can never get back.

Slade Logan

Apr 19, 2019
Winnipeg
I remember when we drafted Trouba he said he was going to stay in college for 2 years minimum and he signed after one. This may be a little different than that situation but when money gets discussed minds can change pretty fast.
Most likely the agent told Samberg to say he is going to stay to leverage the Jets to give him the top ELC deal as later round picks don’t usually get all the bonus options. I don’t know what all the bonus option are but I am sure you have to earn them and if he earns them that would suggest to me he is worth it. To me losing a D prospect over a few extra bucks especially on a ELC is not worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad