Confirmed with Link: 4 year extension for Michael Rasmussen (3.2 AAV)

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
This feels like a banking on a player taking a next step kind of deal. Like a slight overpayment now but could be an absolute steal if he flirts with like a 20/20 season into his prime.

Guys like Ras are players that GMs always rate higher than fans do. I'm really curious to see how he can do in the playoffs.

With that said I think if this is the sign of things to come for our other RFAs there is no way that all of Fabbri, Maata, Chia, Holl, and Petry are on this team next year. Really Fabs and 2 of Dmen should be gone at the minimum to ensure we have the cap space to actually improve this roster next year and not just resign some of our UFAs.
Yeah, I still preferred necas, but I'm ok with the player and contract. But you think it will be a steel at this term if he just flirts with 20/20? I would say he is already flirting in that realm now! 27 pts in 80 gm, 29 pts in 55 last year and 23 in 53 this year. To be sure, he has not yet done it, but i would say that's flirting at least.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen greatest production has not been seen yet. Because his PP role will determine the best seasons, and so far, he hasn't been used there almost at all.

Somehow this feels like Franzen-way. He was first used at Bottom6 as defensive forward, because he had done that in Sweden. After 2 seasons, the role totally changed.

If Rasmussen will see the same role change, the prodcution can go up. If he stays totally out from the PP for his whole career, he will never reach 50 points.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Not if we want to re-sign Kane there isn't. With both extensions for Raymond and Seider plus having to fill out the rest of the roster there isn't room for Stamkos.

Perron, Kostin, Sprong can all be let go, move on from Fabbri and Maatta and you can get some room to play with. Think if it was even an option Yzerman could be creative enough. Plus we have approx 2-3 million in cap space already, guess would all depend on what Ray and Mo sign for but teams in way worse salary cap structures than us find ways to get big name guys. I think we are in a flexible enough situation with guys we could move, maybe I'm overly optimistic about the options going forward.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Rasmussen greatest production has not been seen yet. Because his PP role will determine the best seasons, and so far, he hasn't been used there almost at all.

Somehow this feels like Franzen-way. He was first used at Bottom6 as defensive forward, because he had done that in Sweden. After 2 seasons, the role totally changed.

If Rasmussen will see the same role change, the prodcution can go up. If he stays totally out from the PP for his whole career, he will never reach 50 points.
I'll be interested to see how much PP time he gets going forward...now that a contract has been signed. The team needs a few different PP looks to make it harder to defend in a 7 game series, they have 2 great units, but they are pretty much a carbon copy in play. Moose in front/bumper makes it a different unit, if he can stay on his feet.

Reactions: 19 for president

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah, I still preferred necas, but I'm ok with the player and contract. But you think it will be a steel at this term if he just flirts with 20/20? I would say he is already flirting in that realm now! 27 pts in 80 gm, 29 pts in 55 last year and 23 in 53 this year. To be sure, he has not yet done it, but i would say that's flirting at least.
I guess clarify that, in this case I mean 20/20 with a consistent contribution. Ras has been very inconsistent to this point. While he has been playing way better of late, he is also known to go months with looking terrible. If he can consistently play at a better level (at least from a defensive standpoint) and then also do a 20/20 contribution then that is solid for 3.2. If he plays like crap for 80% of the year and gets hot for 20% it is less worth it for me. He should look like an NHLer consistently with probably a streakier offensive contribution. 20/20 guys rarely get points every other game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Perron, Kostin, Sprong can all be let go, move on from Fabbri and Maatta and you can get some room to play with. Think if it was even an option Yzerman could be creative enough. Plus we have approx 2-3 million in cap space already, guess would all depend on what Ray and Mo sign for but teams in way worse salary cap structures than us find ways to get big name guys. I think we are in a flexible enough situation with guys we could move, maybe I'm overly optimistic about the options going forward.

Perron and Sprong are UFAs.

Kostin is signed. Proably unneeded, but still signed for 2024-25 season.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Perron and Sprong are UFAs.

Kostin is signed. Proably unneeded, but still signed for 2024-25 season.

Let go = not resigned. (7ish million plus our existing cap space)

I don't think we are as tight against the cap as people think.

Ray and Mo will take a nice chunk of our space but we have lots of pieces that can be moved and guys who can be brought up on ELCs if a significantly improvement was available to us. Maybe that's not in the plans but I can't see how we couldn't make it work for a guy like Stamkos or even a younger star.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
You want to get into this fine.
Right now for next season Detroit has 26.8 million in cap space with 14 players signed. Signing Raymond and Seider will likely take at least 15 million. So now we have 16 players signed with only 11.8 million in cap space to sign 8 players.
Kostin is signed for 2 million next season, no one is taking that contract for a 4th line guy that barely plays.
Okay let's move Maatta that frees up 3 million so now we have to 14.8 million to sign 9 players.
Let's add Berggren and Edvinsson to the lineup. Ed makes 894k, Berggren is an RFA but let's say he resigns for the same 925k.
So now we have to sign 7 players for about 13 million.
Kane is very likely going to want more then 2.75 million how much he want and how much he'll get it tough to predict. I would say anywhere from 4-6 million. Let's settle on 5 for argument sake.
Okay now we are down to 8 million with 6 players to go.
Veleno needs a new contract which I would guess comes in from 2-2.75 million based on his improved this season. Let's settle on 2.5 million.
Down to 5.5 with 5 players to sign.

Let's stop here. I doubt that we will be trading Fabbri and I kind of doubt teams will want him due to his injury history for that cap hit. But even if we did trade him having 9.5 million with 6 players to sign there is no room for Stamkos. Not even close.

Yes I have made a bunch of guesses on salary here but even if I am off it is incredibly unlikely that Stamkos who is having a good season would sign for anything less then 6 million a season. A pricetag Detroit cannot afford.

Reactions: 19 for president

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
You want to get into this fine.
Right now for next season Detroit has 26.8 million in cap space with 14 players signed. Signing Raymond and Seider will likely take at least 15 million. So now we have 16 players signed with only 11.8 million in cap space to sign 8 players.
Kostin is signed for 2 million next season, no one is taking that contract for a 4th line guy that barely plays.
Okay let's move Maatta that frees up 3 million so now we have to 14.8 million to sign 9 players.
Let's add Berggren and Edvinsson to the lineup. Ed makes 894k, Berggren is an RFA but let's say he resigns for the same 925k.
So now we have to sign 7 players for about 13 million.
Kane is very likely going to want more then 2.75 million how much he want and how much he'll get it tough to predict. I would say anywhere from 4-6 million. Let's settle on 5 for argument sake.
Okay now we are down to 8 million with 6 players to go.
Veleno needs a new contract which I would guess comes in from 2-2.75 million based on his improved this season. Let's settle on 2.5 million.
Down to 5.5 with 5 players to sign.

Let's stop here. I doubt that we will be trading Fabbri and I kind of doubt teams will want him due to his injury history for that cap hit. But even if we did trade him having 9.5 million with 6 players to sign there is no room for Stamkos. Not even close.

Yes I have made a bunch of guesses on salary here but even if I am off it is incredibly unlikely that Stamkos who is having a good season would sign for anything less then 6 million a season. A pricetag Detroit cannot afford.
Stamkos is sitting at 50 points in 55 games, with 23 goals. He's gonna want more than 6 million. It's fun to conjecture but it doesn't work.

Yzerman really screwed the pooch with the Husso, Holl, Chiarot, Petry, Copp, Kostin moves eating up a combined ~23 million in cap space for a bunch of guys who are playing bottom pair/line time or sitting in the press box. I've been saying it all season but I don't think he expected this team to perform to the level it has.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a second and third rounder to ship Holl and Kostin off as cap dumps at this point.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

In juniors net front, puck redirection was his bread and butter, don't know why not use him like that

Reactions: RRhoads

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Only UFAs I want resigned is Kane and Fischer.

Let Ghost, Sprong, Perron. Trading Maatta shouldn't be to difficult. I would trade him before the deadline to get a bettet return. Should be easily replaced by Ed or Aljo.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Stamkos is sitting at 50 points in 55 games, with 23 goals. He's gonna want more than 6 million. It's fun to conjecture but it doesn't work.

Yzerman really screwed the pooch with the Husso, Holl, Chiarot, Petry, Copp, Kostin moves eating up a combined ~23 million in cap space for a bunch of guys who are playing bottom pair/line time or sitting in the press box. I've been saying it all season but I don't think he expected this team to perform to the level it has.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a second and third rounder to ship Holl and Kostin off as cap dumps at this point.
I think Petry was excellent pick, he was cheap and have positive effect on Chiarot

Reactions: Henkka

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

I have no idea what he is going to what but my main point was that there is no money for Stamkos.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Maybe I'm alone in that view. Also forgot about Ghost and Reimer, so that's another 5.6 free, Vrana will be off the books also with his retention. Salary cap going up... I will happily admit I'm wrong if we are handcuffed from getting a guy who wants to come here. Even if it means trading guys with assets attached.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I've done a 180 on Ras and got no problem with this. We do have a lot of shit contracts though... Chiarot, Copp and Holl come to mind.

3 shit contracts isn’t a lot. It’s a 23 man roster.

Holl can be moved. Chiarot has been playing well this year. Copp has turned it on since January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad