Confirmed with Link: 4 year extension for Michael Rasmussen (3.2 AAV)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
he has been playing very well as a grinding player that can play up and down the lineup and provide the grit needed to a softer line (larkin - dbc/ray).

3.2 seems like a lot more than I would have done, but looks like ras is here to stay people.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He better take Protas ($3.375Mx5yr) out to eat when we play the Caps.

Good deal through that lens.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm going to take his supporter's word for it and be excited for the future as he assuredly improves year-over-year.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Well, that is one RFA extension done, 3 more to go on the big club and two to go in GR(That we realistically care about).

I don't mind the deal, Ras has earned the right to show what he can do now that we appear to be hitting our playoff contention window.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
That’s a lot of term for basically a glue guy with some mobility issues.

He has had an up and down season… hope this doesn’t come back to bite us as the roster continues to improve in the coming years. You don’t want to be paying this amount to the 6th or 7th best winger on the team.

On the positive side the contract covers his 25-28 year old seasons. So basically his nut prime years. If he is ever going to be more than what he is now, we will be the team that reaps those benefits.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
he has been playing very well as a grinding player that can play up and down the lineup and provide the grit needed to a softer line (larkin - dbc/ray).

3.2 seems like a lot more than I would have done, but looks like ras is here to stay people.
If he keeps improving and ends up like a Charlie Coyle type player then I love the deal.

As is, it’s a small overpayment that won’t hurt us though.

Reactions: Sentinel

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
That’s a lot of term for basically a glue guy with some mobility issues.

He has had an up and down season… hope this doesn’t come back to bite us as the roster continues to improve in the coming years. You don’t want to be paying this amount to a 4th line winger.

On the positive side the contract covers his 25-28 year old seasons. So basically his nut prime years. If he is ever going to be more than what he is now, we will be the team that reaps those benefits.
he'll most likely be bottom 6 and see 4th line eventually towards the end I guess unless our prospects bust

If anything he can play another few seasons and if need be yzerman can pay 800k let's say he'll find a taker. Wouldnt be hard to move him if it comes to that

Reactions: PelagicJoe

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This feels like a banking on a player taking a next step kind of deal. Like a slight overpayment now but could be an absolute steal if he flirts with like a 20/20 season into his prime.

Guys like Ras are players that GMs always rate higher than fans do. I'm really curious to see how he can do in the playoffs.

With that said I think if this is the sign of things to come for our other RFAs there is no way that all of Fabbri, Maata, Chia, Holl, and Petry are on this team next year. Really Fabs and 2 of Dmen should be gone at the minimum to ensure we have the cap space to actually improve this roster next year and not just resign some of our UFAs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This feels like a banking on a player taking a next step kind of deal. Like a slight overpayment now but could be an absolute steal if he flirts with like a 20/20 season into his prime.

Guys like Ras are players that GMs always rate higher than fans do. I'm really curious to see how he can do in the playoffs.

With that said I think if this is the sign of things to come for our other RFAs there is no way that all of Fabbri, Maata, Chia, Holl, and Petry are on this team next year. Really Fabs and 2 of Dmen should be gone at the minimum to ensure we have the cap space to actually improve this roster next year and not just resign some of our UFAs.
It’s cheap even if he never scores more than 15 goals and ~30 points.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Love the deal, term and player. Ras has his warts but he's still got untapped potential in my opinion. Plays PK, can produce and you can't teach his size. Plus cap going up over the years, he is paid like a bottom 6 guy anyways.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
Thats 650k less per year and one year shorter than Helms last RW contract.

I like it.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Well, that is one RFA extension done, 3 more to go on the big club and two to go in GR(That we realistically care about).

I don't mind the deal, Ras has earned the right to show what he can do now that we appear to be hitting our playoff contention window.
At his size, he should be taking people's souls on every shift. He plays too small and soft for 6'6. Doesn't have great skill. Is a limited skater because of size. Doesn't take many faceoffs. He's good on the PK though. Seems like a quality teammate.

I don't hate the contract but he's not a player you get excited about keeping for many years.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

he is another guy I am intrigued about in the playoffs. He always has a fu*k off face even when he scores. He is gritty and looks like he knows "how" to agitate/piss people off when he wants too, just doesn't do it too often.

Add him to the list of players I need to see in playoffs and think are going to be a better player in the playoffs (seider, larkin, etc.)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Raymond and Seider next. I love that Ras got 4 years deal , 24 years old , going to be 29 at the end, pretty much his best Hockey time.

Reactions: theYman

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This is fine. He's really effective up and down the lineup, excels in a 3rd line shutdown role, and is still young and hungry.

He's exactly the sort of player you plan to let walk at the end of this deal but the value seems about right for these next 4 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad