Confirmed with Link: 4 year extension for Michael Rasmussen (3.2 AAV)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Honestly I think it's less about valuing 3 mil highly and more about answering, does Ras actually bring any surplus value to this team? For me this deal is a solid meh because I view Ras as a dime a dozen, irrelevant sort of player. If Ras takes a step, it could be a big win.

I think that he's worth the money but he's exactly the type of player archetype that I'd look to get surplus value on. If I'm drawing up the cap, I want to be pretty top-heavy while paying as little as possible to replaceable bottom 6 players.

So ultimately it's just more commitment to Ras than I'd make. If you think he's going to take a step forward, you're getting a 5 mil player for 3 mil in his prime years. If you think this is what he is, well then it's fine but it's a little annoying to lose that roster flexibility when we're already flush with mediocre bottom 6 options. Ultimately, I'm fine with the contract. It's just hard to be excited
Sure, but when has life ever been that clean? The contemporary free agent market doesn't even allow you to spend that much on your top six. Just take excess value wherever you can find it and be happy. If you have drafted well, a good deal of it will actually be found in your top 6.

I also love that you dismiss 50% of all NHL players as being worthless, irrelevant, interchangeable, rubes.

Reactions: Henkka

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I think there are a lot of people that prefer keeping your money in your top lines and finding discounts for your bottom 2. A lot of people hated the Helm and Abdelkader deals. I was good with one (Liked Helm way more) but hated doing both because it is too much to wrap up in players of that skillset.

Now with that said I think Ras has great potential than Helm or Abby and this contract takes him through his prime years while the other 2 were the tail end of their playing days. Ras is a guy that could turn into a total nightmare come playoff time ala Franzen (not in goals but in transformation of their games), or he come continue being a very passive big body. We won't know until we get there and probably get a few rounds in.

I also would like to see Ras get some netfront powerplay time. The Wings PP tends to either stagnate with either two much point play or two much across the net front one timer action. Putting him in that bumper or net front area would at least make the point a threat on occasion.

The team isn't really in the same position it was in 10 years ago when those deals were made, though.

Rasmussen's contract now, applied to the 16-17 cap (When Helm and Abs were signed) deflates to $2.65M, well under either of those guys. Compound that with the likelihood that the salary cap gets max increases over the life of this contract, which would put the cap at $101.5M in year 4. Then consider that guys like Edvinsson/Danielson/Kasper will hopefully be playing moderate to significant roles (I realize somebody may not pan out) on the team by year four while either being on ELCs or secondary deals.

I just don't see any way a deal like this hurts the team. Maybe if Yzerman suddenly goes full Dubas and gives Seider $12M and Raymond $10M lol.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Sure, but when has life ever been that clean? The contemporary free agent market doesn't even allow you to spend that much on your top six. Just take excess value wherever you can find it and be happy. If you have drafted well, a good deal of it will actually be found in your top 6.

I also love that you dismiss 50% of all NHL players as being worthless, irrelevant, interchangeable, rubes.
To be clear, I think that there are irreplaceable bottom 6 players. Guys that truly excel in a shutdown role and consistently tilt the ice without having the scoring prowess to deserve a top 6 spot. Kris Draper and Darren Helm come to mind. I don't view Ras that way. He's a very average bottom 6 player. He neither seems to do his job particularly well nor poorly. The upside of this deal is that Rasmussen could take a step and become that kind of irreplaceable bottom 6 player.

And also to be clear, it's not like I'm mad about the deal. I'm just not joining the "high fives all around" train. It's like, every team has an equipment manager. If we upgrade ours that's cool and all but not really exciting. I'm not worried about our ability to find a good equipment manager. I'm not worried about our ability to acquire Rasmussen-esque players.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
That’s a lot of term for basically a glue guy with some mobility issues.

He has had an up and down season… hope this doesn’t come back to bite us as the roster continues to improve in the coming years. You don’t want to be paying this amount to the 6th or 7th best winger on the team.

On the positive side the contract covers his 25-28 year old seasons. So basically his nut prime years. If he is ever going to be more than what he is now, we will be the team that reaps those benefits.

4 years is a lot of term for a 25 year old?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ras frustrates me because he's so weak on his skates but he's responsible defensively, can chip in some goals, and does add some physicality (though he can improve in that area). The term and AAV seems good.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Fair deal. Doesnt seem like a steal, doesnt seem like we made a bad move. If he keeps improving its a bargain, if he stays the same or regresses, its a slight overpayment. Im good with it.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I'm done a 180 on Ras and got no problem with this. We do have a lot of shit contracts though... Chiarot, Copp and Holl come to mind.
When I heard the wings signed Holl, I almost broke my phone….

Signing Holl has to be the worst signing since Yzerman took over.

I am a huge fan of big #27. I think he’s finally hit stride and is a solid NHLer. Let’s see if he can take it up another gear. Bigger players always take more time to develop. Would be a pleasant surprise if he ups his game play to another level.

Otherwise still a solid contract for what he’s worth today.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
What are the odds that Steven Stamkos is in this chair on July 1?

429446204_943066137213583_5923393334048292634_n.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Thanks for putting the contract terms in the thread title, I don't get Twitter at work.

Not a fan of Ras but the term and hit are acceptable.

Yzerman probably pays by the inch. :laugh:
That's what she said....

This is a fair deal. I am whelmed.
As am I. that's exactly how I feel.

chiarot isn't a bad contract anymore.

get last seasons taste out of your mouth and you'll see it differently.
The taste lingers because he likes to swallow.

Ras frustrates me because he's so weak on his skates but he's responsible defensively, can chip in some goals, and does add some physicality (though he can improve in that area). The term and AAV seems good.
Noticed last week that he's got a lot of bow to his legs which makes it harder for him to get on the inside edge. It is what it is. He should at least learn not to stand straight up because he winds up on the outside edges, which is why little guys knock him down when he does it.

• Haha
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
4 years is a lot of term for a 25 year old?
I think so. I believe in the 12 structure in the cap era.

Your top (6) forwards, top (4) defenseman, top goalie (1) and top shutdown/matchup centre (1) that can drive a checking line are the 12 players that are ultimately going to win you a cup.

Focus most all your resources on players you envision thriving in those rolls. Especially salary cap space.

Maybe he evolves into that top 6 winger by year 3 or 4.
If he is still a bottom 6 winger, that would be less than ideal in my eyes. Hence why I think there is risk with that term.

Last edited:
Reactions: heyfolks

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Not a bad deal, he has been getting better every year. It's also a movable contract if ever there was a trade possibility.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Seravilli says Hanifin wants to go to Tampa in UFA, so it's not out of the question that Tampa lets Stamkos walk to free the cap space. The question is if Yzerman would want to sign Stamkos. Would Stamkos at age 34 take a 3 year contract?

Granted, Seravilli is known to make shit up and I wouldn't doubt this "rumor" is a plant to lower the price on Hanifin.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seravilli says Hanifin wants to go to Tampa in UFA, so it's not out of the question that Tampa lets Stamkos walk to free the cap space. The question is if Yzerman would want to sign Stamkos. Would Stamkos at age 34 take a 3 year contract?

Granted, Seravilli is known to make shit up and I wouldn't doubt this "rumor" is a plant to lower the price on Hanifin.

Sure, Stamkos and sign Toews as well. Re-sign Perron, grab UFAs Voracek and Alec Martinez, and the Wings could win the Cup in 2018.

I'll just fire up that Stewie Griffin time machine, and we're all set.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Sure, Stamkos and sign Toews as well. Re-sign Perron, grab UFAs Voracek and Alec Martinez, and the Wings could win the Cup in 2018.

I'll just fire up that Stewie Griffin time machine, and we're all set.
I didn't say I'd be thrilled about it, just that it's possible.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
seems more to me that people here who don't care one bit about anything outside the offensive zone hate him and the contract.
The contract is fine. People don't like the player because of where he was drafted. Of course that means nothing now and has nothing to do with the contract but people are salty we spent a top 10 pick on a bottom 6 player with a lack of offense.

Reactions: acetehubernoob

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The contract is fine. People don't like the player because of where he was drafted. Of course that means nothing now and has nothing to do with the contract but people are salty we spent a top 10 pick on a bottom 6 player with a lack of offense.
At his draft position only like 50% of draftees even sniff the NHL.

Rasmussen drives me nuts because he could be so much more and I just feel like he isn't putting in the effort. He often shies away from contact and is timid. Plays softer than DeBrincat.

If he started consistently playing like his size I'd sing his praises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad