Confirmed with Link: 4 year extension for Michael Rasmussen (3.2 AAV)

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
What the heck. This is a big deal for an average fella. Good for him! IDK if he'd have gotten 4 years in the open market honestly.

He's doing good though, trying his dangest to pull off this Brain Boyle type forward 2.0.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
What the heck. This is a big deal for an average fella. Good for him! IDK if he'd have gotten 4 years in the open market honestly.

He's doing good though, trying his dangest to pull off this Brain Boyle type forward 2.0.
Someone would've given him 4x3.5 on the hope he'd be the next Tage Thompson. Never underestimate the NHL GM obsession with size.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
At his draft position only like 50% of draftees even sniff the NHL.

Rasmussen drives me nuts because he could be so much more and I just feel like he isn't putting in the effort. He often shies away from contact and is timid. Plays softer than DeBrincat.

If he started consistently playing like his size I'd sing his praises.
That's what we all hoped Mantha would do. He is what he is. I doubt it changes.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
A scowl like that is not easily replaceable. Good signing. I still worry we don't have enough depth in the scowl department. I think Larkin has some talent there occasionally but it's spotty.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
MEH

I am either way on Rasmussen. The big body doesn't translate into a physical game, has very limited puck skills, passing, carrying or shooting but he plays a solid defensive game will chip in 25-35 points, with 10-15 goals.

As a blind man's observation, he seemed to have lost the physical part of his game Mickey embellished on game after game, after his injury. Hoping the insecurity of his contract ending put caution in his game (fearing injury). That fear now gone, he becomes more of the physical presence he was last season.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Rasmussen will be 29 by the time this contract expires. He should be solidly in his prime and ready either for a market based raise or an actual salary increase due to his play. I still see him as a 50pt guy at some point during the contract he just signed.

I see people referencing Helm a bit but that is a wild comparison. Helm's 3.85M/yr contract would be a wrong comparison. That would be closer to what Copp or Compher got in terms of cap %.

Helm's 2012 contract at 2.15M was 3.54% of the overall cap.
Helm's 2016 Contract at 3.85M was 5.27% of the overall cap.

Rasmussen's contract 2024-2025 at 3.2M is 3.64% of the overall cap
Copp's contract was 6.82% at the time of signing (6.4% next year)
Compher's contract was 6.11% at the time of signing (5.8% next year)

This is a great contract overall and one that helps to paint a clear picture of the immediate core.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
TLJ.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Just for comparison, in 2014, UFA 30-year-old Brian Boyle was coming off an 18 point season (in 82 games) in New York when he signed a $2 million x 3 years in Tampa. Boyle made up 2.8% of the cap in 2014.

Ras is 24, coming off a 29 point season (in 56 games), 34 point pace this year, and his cap hit accounts for 3.6% of next year's cap.

Ras is significantly younger and more offensively productive than Boyle and is only going to take up 0.8% more cap next season. This is at worst fair and potentially a value deal for the Wings.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I'm fine with this. I think Ras has shown he can be quite valuable. I hope he finds consistency to be at his best more often. He should be good in the playoffs. And as someone mentioned already, these 4 years should be right into his prime.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Rasmussen drives me nuts because he could be so much more and I just feel like he isn't putting in the effort. He often shies away from contact and is timid. Plays softer than DeBrincat.

While true, it’s in

While true, it’s inFuriating when Necas, Vilardi, Tippet and Suzuki were chosen directly after him

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Dudes got some skill but seems to play on his heels to much. Big sob like him should floor check way harder And be a beast along the boards. Falls down from a brisk wind at times. Maybe a 7 game series could piss him off enough to start playing mean. He could be a beast.......

Reactions: raymond23

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
While true, it’s inFuriating when Necas, Vilardi, Tippet and Suzuki were chosen directly after him
Yeah, but you can play that game with every draft.

Rasmussen was drafted a bit too high, but my issue has always been with Rasmussen the player, not the draft pick. At 9OA it's not worth getting wrapped up in bust vs not bust because the percentages after 5OA are pretty shit anyway. If the top 10 of every single draft were surefire hits the NHL would be a much different league.

Skating and balance can be improved and size can be leveraged. When I look at Rasmussen I don't see these areas improving from year to year. His defensive metrics are decent because he has a huge wingspan and can control a wide area of the ice, but he still isn't as effective as some guys much smaller than him.

I see flashes of a more physical game from him, but the fact remains that I haven't seen him move beyond the junior mentality of "I'm big, that's all I need". DeBrincat plays a harder game than Rasmussen. Smaller players regularly put him on his ass when they should be bouncing off of him.

This contract is Yzerman banking that he'll improve in these areas. I'll believe it when I see it. It's at least a contract that's not an albatross if he never becomes more than an inconsistent 25 point fourth liner and floats off the team in 4 years.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I mean I love this deal, but he's not getting more than Copp/Compher if he were UFA lol.

Sometimes I think people just forget that the cap goes up and contracts increase accordingly lol.
Why compare RFA Rasmussen to UFAs Copp/Compher?

Those aren't comparable at all.

When Rasmussen will hit UFA, THEN we can compare his next UFA deal for Copp/Compher deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad