Confirmed with Link: 4 year extension for Michael Rasmussen (3.2 AAV)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd have actually liked another year on it but I think he's worth the cap hit. If he can stay healthy and be a 40ish point guy and starting to eat some defensive assignments...that's worth a lot. Especially if he has any grit at all to his game.

Reactions: 14ari13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ok-meh.gif

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If he keeps improving and ends up like a Charlie Coyle type player then I love the deal.

As is, it’s a small overpayment that won’t hurt us though.
no don't think this hampers us in any way, I think some people around here were thinking he was getting 4 or 4.5 at one point (maybe that was towards the end of last season when he was making his run?).

I probably would have done around 2.8 or so, but not a big deal. In two years, this will probably be a very good value contract and is easily flippable if we need to trade him later, even with retention.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Good for Ras.

I'd imagine this contract also makes him more palatable in a trade scenario. Not suggesting he's OTB at all.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
This is a steal. Lets say the cap averages 90 mil over the length of the contract, this contract is equivalent to 2.1 million in 2012.

Some players that made over that for us in 2012 include Ian White, Hudler, Ericsson, and Danny Cleary.

Lets go Ras!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If Ras were of UFA age he'd be getting Copp/Compher+ offers on the open market.

Still want to see Ras in a crease-banging PP role now that he's a fully actualized adult and not a teenager.

I mean I love this deal, but he's not getting more than Copp/Compher if he were UFA lol. Both play similar roles and had higher production in the season prior to signing.

This is a steal. Lets say the cap averages 90 mil over the length of the contract, this contract is equivalent to 2.1 million in 2012.

Some players that made over that for us in 2012 include Ian White, Hudler, Ericsson, and Danny Cleary.

Lets go Ras!

For reference, Helm was relied on for similar assignments and produced similarly (Slightly less, but scoring is way higher now) prior to his 2016 contract, and that deal would inflate to $4.63M under next year's cap.

Sometimes I think people just forget that the cap goes up and contracts increase accordingly lol.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Sprong and Kane next

I wonder about Sprong. Kane, to me, is a no-brainer if he's interested. But I wonder about Sprong.

It's well past "Shit or get off the pot" time when it comes to trading Berggren or making room on the roster for him. It's remarkable that the guy is clearly NHL ready and is about to be 24 and yet hasn't requested a trade. (Or at least, it hasn't become public knowledge)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Lets go Ras!

2012 Hudler was a way better player than Rasmussen is

like it isn't even close he was a key part of one of the best lines in the NHL that year and would go on to lead Calgary in points the next time the league had a full season while doing so again the next year and also being top 10 in the entire NHL

edit: not that I really disagree with the overall point, but you're severely underrating what Hudler was

Reactions: norrisnick

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

like it isn't even close he was a key part of one of the best lines in the NHL that year and would go on to lead Calgary in points the next time the league had a full season while doing so again the next year and also being top 10 in the entire NHL

edit: not that I really disagree with the overall point, but you're severely underrating what Hudler was

All you had to do was supply him with a bit of blow! :laugh:

But yeah, these are weird comparisons for Ras. He's most comparable to Helm in terms of production and role, although they're way different players, with Ras being way bigger and Helm being speedy.

MAYBE compare him to Abdelkader. who Kenny foolishly overvalued because he had one year of standing in front of the net as a backboard for Datsyuk to bank pucks in off.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Jiri Hudler was his own worst enemy. Could have been one of the greatest Czech players of all time.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
If Ras were of UFA age he'd be getting Copp/Compher+ offers on the open market.

Still want to see Ras in a crease-banging PP role now that he's a fully actualized adult and not a teenager.
Lol Naw.

Compher just came off a 50 point season and Copp came off of a 50 point season and huge playoffs before they signed their deals. I am a fan of Ras, but he hasn't hit 30 points yet.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Judging by the reactions, some of y'all think $3.2M is a lot more than it actually is in 2024 in the NHL lol.
Honestly I think it's less about valuing 3 mil highly and more about answering, does Ras actually bring any surplus value to this team? For me this deal is a solid meh because I view Ras as a dime a dozen, irrelevant sort of player. If Ras takes a step, it could be a big win.

I think that he's worth the money but he's exactly the type of player archetype that I'd look to get surplus value on. If I'm drawing up the cap, I want to be pretty top-heavy while paying as little as possible to replaceable bottom 6 players.

So ultimately it's just more commitment to Ras than I'd make. If you think he's going to take a step forward, you're getting a 5 mil player for 3 mil in his prime years. If you think this is what he is, well then it's fine but it's a little annoying to lose that roster flexibility when we're already flush with mediocre bottom 6 options. Ultimately, I'm fine with the contract. It's just hard to be excited

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I mean I love this deal, but he's not getting more than Copp/Compher if he were UFA lol. Both play similar roles and had higher production in the season prior to signing.

For reference, Helm was relied on for similar assignments and produced similarly (Slightly less, but scoring is way higher now) prior to his 2016 contract, and that deal would inflate to $4.63M under next year's cap.

Sometimes I think people just forget that the cap goes up and contracts increase accordingly lol.
I think there are a lot of people that prefer keeping your money in your top lines and finding discounts for your bottom 2. A lot of people hated the Helm and Abdelkader deals. I was good with one (Liked Helm way more) but hated doing both because it is too much to wrap up in players of that skillset.

Now with that said I think Ras has great potential than Helm or Abby and this contract takes him through his prime years while the other 2 were the tail end of their playing days. Ras is a guy that could turn into a total nightmare come playoff time ala Franzen (not in goals but in transformation of their games), or he come continue being a very passive big body. We won't know until we get there and probably get a few rounds in.

I also would like to see Ras get some netfront powerplay time. The Wings PP tends to either stagnate with either two much point play or two much across the net front one timer action. Putting him in that bumper or net front area would at least make the point a threat on occasion.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017

The post wasn’t so much to rip apart those players but put it into perspective that all those guys weren’t major commitments (pieces that prevented us from getting a big fish)and Ras is making less (percentage wise) than all of them!

Also, hudler signed a 4 million dollar next season. So obviously he was better than Ras lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky0034

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The post wasn’t so much to rip apart those players but put it into perspective that all those guys weren’t major commitments (pieces that prevented us from getting a big fish)and Ras is making less (percentage wise) than all of them!

yeah that makes sense

put another way the Wings currently have 6 forwards making more than Rasmussen's new deal and that doesn't include Kane who is obviously very underpaid for what he brings due to the whole injury thing and Raymond who would also be higher than that but is on an ELC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad