Confirmed with Link: 4 year extension for Michael Rasmussen (3.2 AAV)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman will sign both Seider and Raymond for cheaper than anyone in here will expect.

Especially Raymond.
You say this now with no actual projection. But once the contracts come you'll find some silly projection online that had a massive number on it and then say he got a massive discount.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yzerman will sign both Seider and Raymond for cheaper than anyone in here will expect.

Especially Raymond.
Yah that's BS.

I would say it is going to cost from probably 14-16 million to sign them.

Raymond is having a great year and is 3rd in scoring. He is only 1 point behind Debrincat the guy who is making 7.875 million a season.
Good luck getting Raymond to sign for cheap.

• Wow
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Raymond is having a great year and is 3rd in scoring. He is only 1 point behind Debrincat the guy who is making 7.875 million a season.

Salaries are determined based on where a player is relative to other players in the league, not their own team. Imagine if every player salary was based on Copp's contract, this team would be well over the salary cap.

AAV will depend highly on term, so both Seider and Ray are gonna be hard to predict. Obviously both players are worth locking in long term.

You say this now with no actual projection. But once the contracts come you'll find some silly projection online that had a massive number on it and then say he got a massive discount.

He usually quotes Evolving Hockey, no need to attack Henkka. I'll be your Huckleberry.

• Haha

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I guess clarify that, in this case I mean 20/20 with a consistent contribution. Ras has been very inconsistent to this point. While he has been playing way better of late, he is also known to go months with looking terrible. If he can consistently play at a better level (at least from a defensive standpoint) and then also do a 20/20 contribution then that is solid for 3.2. If he plays like crap for 80% of the year and gets hot for 20% it is less worth it for me. He should look like an NHLer consistently with probably a streakier offensive contribution. 20/20 guys rarely get points every other game.
That's fair. And I certainly would appreciate a little more consistency. But I'm hoping that if he hits that consistency it equals better than 20/20, that's all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Please project your estimates for Raymond and Seider.

I'll do my projections, and then we can look back.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Please project your estimates for Raymond and Seider.

I'll do my projections, and then we can look back.
Ray comes in at DeBrincat's AAV but for 8 years. $7.875M
Mo honestly can go to $10M and be fine, but I think Mo will come in just under $9M. Maybe matching Larkin's deal if he wants to give Yzerman a huge break.

If they bridge? Ray will end up over $10M in a few years and Mo over $12M. Lock them in now.

• Wow

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While true, it’s in

While true, it’s inFuriating when Necas, Vilardi, Tippet and Suzuki were chosen directly after him

What is so good about Vilardi? A few more points, but worse defensively, and kind of the same with Tippett.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No way. We need an angry Russian on the team. When is the last time Detroit won the Stanley Cup without a Russian on the roster?

Does it matter, as Lalonde barely plays the guy anyways.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think this is a good, fair signing.

It buts some UFA time. It also gives time for some growth, though I don’t think he’s going to explode offensively like some here. I do think he’s better than Boyle at the same stage.

Ras is playing like a top 10% 3rd liner. Ok offensively, excellent defensively. Good deal. Yous guys should be happy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, but you can play that game with every draft.

Rasmussen was drafted a bit too high, but my issue has always been with Rasmussen the player, not the draft pick. At 9OA it's not worth getting wrapped up in bust vs not bust because the percentages after 5OA are pretty shit anyway. If the top 10 of every single draft were surefire hits the NHL would be a much different league.

Skating and balance can be improved and size can be leveraged. When I look at Rasmussen I don't see these areas improving from year to year. His defensive metrics are decent because he has a huge wingspan and can control a wide area of the ice, but he still isn't as effective as some guys much smaller than him.

I see flashes of a more physical game from him, but the fact remains that I haven't seen him move beyond the junior mentality of "I'm big, that's all I need". DeBrincat plays a harder game than Rasmussen. Smaller players regularly put him on his ass when they should be bouncing off of him.

This contract is Yzerman banking that he'll improve in these areas. I'll believe it when I see it. It's at least a contract that's not an albatross if he never becomes more than an inconsistent 25 point fourth liner and floats off the team in 4 years.
You don’t see improvements in Rasmussen’s skating and balance? That is a pretty stunning statement to me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tried go deep with Rasmussen's advanced stats, and found only one significant number, which could be something.

Like, his High-Danger Corsi against is not a good number, it's at the bottom side of team forward. He gets a lot of shot attempts against.

BUT - that's a shot ATTEMPT total (per ice-time). So it all of them, shots, missed shots and shot attempts blocked.

High-Danger Goals Against/60 - Rasmussen has team-lowest on-ice number. this is nothing but great.

So I can't build any other conclusion, that opposite teams will shoot a lot HD area shot attempts against him - but HD area goals won't happen, because ---> he will block majority of those shots, or at least, will get a body/stick deflection to make it a missed shot.

So majority of those shot attempts against Rasmuseen, never go to goaltender. He kind of plays like a "high-goalie".

1708613049900.png

I've seen this a lot by eye-test, but never really looked at this on data.

It would in interesting to see the High-Danger Fenwick only, which takes out blocked attems, and would this fenwick against go hand-in-hand with goals against. Then it would be clear, that his shot blocking the key for team lowest HDGA.

His 0.77 HDGA/60 is 16th lowest number from all NHL players, and only 5 guys take more defensive Zone starts.

Earlier we had this discussion about his shot blocking. People were like - GREAT - he is blocking shots! A waste of a 1st round pick, he should score more!

But those blocks are not just regular blocks or useless blocks, they are preventing the best scoring chances from opposite teams and creating a very low GAA for the team, and finally, an environment for our goalies to shine.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What is so good about Vilardi? A few more points, but worse defensively, and kind of the same with Tippett.
Worse defensively how? Also it’s more than a few points.

Tippet isn’t even close. He had 27G last season. Rasmussen has a career high in points of 29 lol

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Worse defensively how? Also it’s more than a few points.

Tippet isn’t even close. He had 27G last season. Rasmussen has a career high in points of 29 lol
Yes and Tippett will be making 6.2 million with a modified NTC during his deal that starts next year.

It doesn’t help for Ras that the kind of hockey where he is going to make the biggest impact in hasn’t been played in Detroit in a long time. His highest value will come in the postseason. Also, counting numbers as long as they continue to leave him off the pp have limits.

I am pretty pleased with his progress if he can put on 15lbs without wrecking his speed gains we can have the late blooming power forward type here.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yes and Tippett will be making 6.2 million with a modified NTC during his deal that starts next year.

It doesn’t help for Ras that the kind of hockey where he is going to make the biggest impact in hasn’t been played in Detroit in a long time. His highest value will come in the postseason. Also, counting numbers as long as they continue to leave him off the pp have limits.

I am pretty pleased with his progress if he can put on 15lbs without wrecking his speed gains we can have the late blooming power forward type here.
Oh I’m not debating it’s a good contract for Ras. I have absolutely no issues with it. It’s just no doubt that those 4 players have been better NHL players.

Also I’d hold reservations on saying his highest value will be the post season before he’s ever actually played.

The same was said about Mantha, he’s yet to score a goal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like that symetry. Sign it!
Millions will come down and we could see 5-year deals as maximum!

Lately I've seen Seider as possible candidate for 8 years, but Yzerman will do some cut. He has never signed anybody for 8 years as RFA.

I'll expect same happen again. Maybe 7-years will make the cut. He is gonna make some cut, for sure.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It doesn’t help for Ras that the kind of hockey where he is going to make the biggest impact in hasn’t been played in Detroit in a long time. His highest value will come in the postseason.

Yeah, he's gonna take his angry face to a whole new level. It's gonna be ELITE angry face, etched into the stone tablet of NHL history. Imitated but never replicated, an angry face of biblical proportions. Hockey fans will talk about it for generations to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad