Post-Game Talk: #4| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 13th | 3:00 PM | F/L 4-1

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Yep - that's why I brought it up - he looked good out there - deserved more ice time, especially when no one seems to be hitting anyone !
He generated offense
A hell of a lot more than Eberle

Reactions: Barz1

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Make no mistake about it. The Islanders were not winning this series even if it started a week after that series ended. They don't have the goal scorers nor the experience.

I don’t know
The first game was a product of a tough seven game series and travel
The series turned on the inability in game 2 to convert on the pp
Win that game, series is 1-1
Different seties

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
He generated offense
A hell of a lot more than Eberle
I dont care how bad Eberle has been, it could be literally the worst game of his life and with a playoff game on the line I take him over Ross Johnston every single time without even a second thought.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Not sure what to make of Johnston's usage... he had 5 shifts in the first, 3 in the second, 2 in the third, and not only did he look noticeable in the offensive end, I didn't see any big mistakes, and he wasn't on the ice for any of TB's goals.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Agree, Eberle's been the whipping boy, but Lee has been MIA as well. Barzal is wasted playing with those two, not that he has been great either. Though I think in his case it's because he's trying to get them involved when he should just shoot every time. Can't fault him on effort and physical play, he has really stepped it up in that regard. Barzy future bright if we can get him some help.

At least Lee looks like he’s trying
I’m not a Lee fan, thought/think the contract was a mistake
But Eberle is a negative, forget points scored, when he’s on the ice he’s a liability. Not a lot fight in that dog this series
See why Edmonton soured on him
To be fair, he doesn’t belong on anyone’s top line, if he was playing middle six wing where he belongs, maybe his play would be better

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Not sure what to make of Johnston's usage... he had 5 shifts in the first, 3 in the second, 2 in the third, and not only did he look noticeable in the offensive end, I didn't see any big mistakes, and he wasn't on the ice for any of TB's goals.

Agreed
Barry playing Ladd the other night and his use of Johnson today, to me don’t make sense. I also think, today he over used the 4th line
Strength of this team has been depth, rolling lines. Johnson was not hurting the team when he played, roll your lines Barry

Reactions: Lek

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
But Eberle is a negative, forget points scored, when he’s on the ice he’s a liability. Not a lot fight in that dog this series
To be fair, he doesn’t belong on anyone’s top line, if he was playing middle six wing where he belongs, maybe his play would be better
Eberle must be playing through an injury- there is nobody to replce him, so ebs at 50% is likely better than sticking someone else on the line who would be totally out of place.

it was only a year ago when he was a hero in the playoffs and played out of his mind

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
At this point there’s nothing to lose. If i was coach I’d take out two of mayfield, Greene and Toews and put in boychuk and Dobson.

Except your sitting Greene and Toews , who are lefties and you’re looking to add 2 righties. One a rookie, the other hasn’t played in a month, in a do or die game

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Except your sitting Greene and Toews , who are lefties and you’re looking to add 2 righties. One a rookie, the other hasn’t played in a month, in a do or die game
If I had a choice, we are taking out Greene and Mayfield. We need physicality in the crease and speed. Boychuk is more physical than Greene and Dobson is faster than Mayfield.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't mind it when I need one "if" to fall into place. However when you need multiple "ifs" then you're probably in trouble.

Those "ifs" are no longer draft picks - they are a lot closer to panning out than not.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Eberle must be playing through an injury- there is nobody to replce him, so ebs at 50% is likely better than sticking someone else on the line who would be totally out of place.

it was only a year ago when he was a hero in the playoffs and played out of his mind

Last year is last year
This series, injured or healthy, he’s hurting the team. Move Tito up, if Eberle can’t create offense, and he hasn’t, he’s not helping

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yup, I floated Ebs with Pageau the other day. Hate to do that to Pageau but maybe they can find some chemistry. In any event, he's going to be here for a while so BT has to find a way to make him useful, problem is that he can't do anything besides score and now he can't even do that.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Well, that's the conundrum isn't it? Has Lou set us up for long term ultimate success or long term high level mediocrity (1st and 2nd round success). I hear what you're saying about "who you gonna get" if we don't sign them but I've been consistent that if what Lou is doing is only going to get us close but not have a realistic chance at a Cup then I would have rather seen a rebuild. (And yes folks, the unusual circumstances of this crazy year have contributed to our being where we are). It really comes down to the kids since I don't think Lou is a magician who can conjure up a premiere scoring wing with what we have to deal.

High-Level Mediocrity? Realistic chances?
What the f*** are you talking about?
You (and your partner over there) are like bad sports radio personalities - the banter and moreover the logic are just... what's the word I'm looking for... oh, yeah - stupid. Do you work FAN?

Do you know how infuriating it is to read anything in hindsight about a rebuild after JT left? Is there any mindfulness in these posts?

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
No one is saying rebuild now. Read the posts.
I think I understand what you were talking about. In short, it was about whether it was worth to rebuild in 2018 or 2019 instead of being 1-2 rounds deep every year without winning the cup. My suggestion was to keep this discussion for the off-season.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I agree with you for the most part. The time to go for a rebuild was before the 2019 trade deadline. Once you decided to keep Lee, Eberle, and Nelson instead of trading them off for high picks/prospects (and I understand why Lou didn't), then you were stuck going for it with this crew.

I mean even if you decided to rebuild now, who are you trading off? There's barely anyone that will get you a top asset in a trade...That you also shouldn't be keeping to build around.

And then there are some terrible contracts you cannot trade and give you little/no flexibility to bring in better talent.

And in top of that...Is a Barry Trotz coached team ever going to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick?

I think we're kinda stuck at least for the next 2 years until some of these bad contracts come off the books.

And this is compounded by a surely contracting cap

Reactions: periferal

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
High-Level Mediocrity? Realistic chances?
What the f*** are you talking about?
You (and your partner over there) are like bad sports radio personalities - the banter and moreover the logic are just... what's the word I'm looking for... oh, yeah - stupid. Do you work FAN?

Do you know how infuriating it is to read anything in hindsight about a rebuild after JT left? Is there any mindfulness in these posts?
What the f*ck are you talking about? None of it hindsight and there are plenty of people here who can confirm that. It's one of the reasons I'm so popular...............

As for my "partner"? WTF does that mean? And I don't listen to FAN.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think I understand what you were talking about. In short, it was about whether it was worth to rebuild in 2018 or 2019 instead of being 1-2 rounds deep every year without winning the cup. My suggestion was to keep this discussion for the off-season.

No, I don't get it.

We are closer to winning the cup than we ever have been that is FACT and not some bullshit pipe dream. And to muse that the Isles would have been in a better position if they would have rebuilt (like rebuilding is a guarantee) is utterly f***ing ridiculous. A rebuild is more imagination and hopeful what "ifs"

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You nailed it and I agree. Miracles can happen, particularly if Point is going to be out and it sure looked a strong possibility, and we have played them tough.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Even if they somehow win this series they'd be screwed in the final. I believe two teams went to the final playing 7 in the semis and conference finals and both lost in 5

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think top D pairing should not be 2 shut down D, but one elite shut down D with an elite skilled D who can skate well.

I agree with trading Pulock but it should be done after signing him to a good contract (without any clause) as that will return more as the uncertainty with the contract can diminish his trade value. Trade for a LD or a fast 2nd/3rd line young Power forward who played well in junior and is on the borderline of making the NHL consistently. I will trade him to Anaheim for one of the following and add a 3rd round pick to balance the trade:

check with Anaheim to land one of the following for cap room to add on line 3 or line 4:

- LW Max Comtois (known in junior for his high goal-scoring %, extremely competitive & plays on edge & like to hit, need to improve skating though) - he is more than capable of replacing Martin who may not come back next season or could be very good to play on line # 3 with 44 (unless Bellows come through next season)
- LW Sunny Milano (a speedy scoring forwards played multiple times on US Olympic game, from Long Island, size may be a concern), this can add some speed & scoring, especially good for PP
- LW Max Jones (has a lot of overall good tools, just need to play the game with higher intensity)

Try to beat other teams (especially in Metro) to one of these 3 LWs on the Anaheim team. There is no way Anaheim will keep all 3 as they also have high draft entry picks this year and already have Rakall and Heinen as LW on the roster.

I would love Sam Steele but as Isles now has good center depth I do not think I will do that unless he can convert to LW and Anaheim is thin at centre depth.

Whoever can learn or have done enough pk & can win face-off with among the 3 will be a bonus.

Next, try to trade either Leddy or Toews with a B prospect (Isles have a lot of these) to Blues for Dunn (who will be an RFA this coming season). May have to take a little bit salary back though if Leddy is the to be moved. The ultimate long term goal is to keep homegrown talent like 13, 18, 8, Wilde, and Sorokin (in addition to 29 and 12 already signed long term) as the future core and hope Wilde, Wahlstrom, Bellows, and Holmstrom will fulfill their potentials. This means that Isles need to make some tough choices now.

Why trading Pulock? Isles has too many young RD talents and he is the most tradable asset with Dobson being untouchable. Somehow you need to clear that log jam on the right side. Plus for now, Mayfield is a decent bottom 6 and his contract value is very good for what he can bring. JB if he continue to have bad injuries keep him out of much of the season, I can see that he may think about early retirement or get bought out by the management.

Who has no movement clause on the top 6 besides 13, 12, 29 and 18? Maybe leave one of them exposed in the Seattle draft as you need to keep 44, and another key veteran bottom 6 players.

Who in the D group has NMV or NTC beside JB?

Also I suggest Isles get bold and go hard after Hall this summer (who was the best man at Eberle's wedding). With the speed of both 13 and Hall, they can out skate any other speedy team's top line in the East. Use the money for resigning Pulock on Hall. If you land Hall, then you move Pulock for a cheap young LW on Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad