Post-Game Talk: #4| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 13th | 3:00 PM | F/L 4-1

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think I understand what you were talking about. In short, it was about whether it was worth to rebuild in 2018 or 2019 instead of being 1-2 rounds deep every year without winning the cup. My suggestion was to keep this discussion for the off-season.

And how do we know the rebuild would work out?
If we pick #1? If we win a draft lottery position? if that draft prospect works out? If... If... If...

I'd rather be in this position - the one we are in right now than rebuild again.

Jesus f***ing christ that's what we need to be talking about after today's loss.

Not screaming at you Hunn, but so friggin's frustrating to hear this type of shit ... again

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Honestly, I do not see how Isles can come back in this series without 53 who is in a doubt their best checking forward who time and time again from junior to pro has demonstrated that he can diminish the effectiveness on top forwards on the other team when healthy and that is why they all get really frustrated playing against him. He also is one of the fastest forwards on the team in both ends and one of the key PK forward, blocks tons of shots too. They have no one to replace him on that line and this means one of their lines will have no impact on the game. You can't roll only 3 lines against a deep team like Tampa.

Does anyone know more about his injury? I hope it does not have any long term impact as he is that important for the team.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
It literally feels and looks like Tampa always has an extra guy on the ice. Even when we are controlling play, they are in the way every shot, every rebound bounces to them. Every scrum they come out with it.
That’s what it looks like when the opponent is constantly first to the puck, it’s speed.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If we pick #1? If we win a draft lottery position? if that draft prospect works out? If... If... If...

I'd rather be in this position - the one we are in right now than rebuild again.

Jesus f***ing christ that's what we need to be talking about after today's loss.

Not screaming at you Hunn, but so friggin's frustrating to hear this type of shit ... again
No need to rebuild at all, but that does not mean you can't trade one of your core pieces especially if you already players close to replace that person. Think about the cap & high-end potentials that may arrive on the horizon, given the chances to step in.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No, I don't get it.

We are closer to winning the cup than we ever have been that is FACT and not some bullshit pipe dream. And to muse that the Isles would have been in a better position if they would have rebuilt (like rebuilding is a guarantee) is utterly f***ing ridiculous. A rebuild is more imagination and hopeful what "ifs"
Since we've won four of them and have not yet surpassed our '93 run, it is not a FACT that we are closer to a Cup than we have ever been so you've got your head up your ass on that. Compounding your assheadedness is the FACT that you are unwilling to acknowledge the unusual circumstances of this particular year and how much the Islanders have benefited from them. That doesn't mean that what they have accomplished isn't meaningful and that if they won the Cup it wouldn't be a valid, it absolutely would. But playing a split season isn't the way it usually works and there was a pretty good chance that the Isles weren't going to the playoffs at all if the stoppage hadn't occurred. That means something. This teams style of play is brutal not just on our opponents but on us as well and without some offensive help to relieve the constant pressure on our goalies and D, it is fair to ask how far this team as currently constructed can go in the normal course of things. That is the question I'm asking and I think it's a valid one.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Lou's got work to do, but they're close. He's got to be savvy this offseason, but he is.

The GM of the year will tinker to get NYI in the Finals. He's not going to have Malkin pay Boychuk AND Ladd for nothing.

This team is only 2 pieces away from a Cup.

Tampa is overrated, this is coming from someone who perceived them to be an All Star team. They are good, but not that good.

NYI, good, but better than common perception.

Reactions: buud and joekono

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017

I'm NOT suggesting "rebuild". I just tried to explain my understanding of the discussion above.

My opinion is that direction taken by Lou is the right one. The team he inherited was above-average in on-ice personnel, but lacked in coaching and "culture". That problem has been solved, we are now a Tier 2 team, a notch below Tampa (and a couple of other teams like Boston and Vegas). What we need now is to continue improving, this team is not the end-product, we need tweaks here and there, this is what Lou is doing and, hopefully, this process will go on.

Reactions: buud and SI

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Sonny, God love him

Is Rob Schremp, ridiculous skill, crazy hand eye, never figured out the rest of the game
If Tottorella couldn’t get him to play d, you think Trotz wants any part of that?

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
So with a 3:00AM start here in HK I woke up and watched the game on delay and just finished. Sometimes you gotta tip your cap and just acknowledge your opponent is better. And Tampa is better! When they are out hitting us, which is our central strength as a team, you really have to wonder if there is any way we can beat them. They beefed up in the offseason and man has it made a difference. When not only can you not knock them off their game but they are actually out hitting you then you really have to suck it up and just say they're better.

We aren't all that far off from being a perennial cup contender. We need scoring punch and it will take some deft management to get that because of our cap situation. But it can be done and with Lou and Barry I have no doubt it will! I'm not throwing in the towel yet but based off what I saw today it's going to take something incredibly special to turn this around.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I dont care how bad Eberle has been, it could be literally the worst game of his life and with a playoff game on the line I take him over Ross Johnston every single time without even a second thought.

Have to very respectfully disagree--- Eberle has been terrible this series--- RJ had a strong start, and, IMHO, deserved some more ice

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
No offense, but how? It is the Bolts fault the Isles couldn't get it done in Game 5 or 6?

they could’ve waited a day to start the series. It’s a bit ridiculous to play, fly across the country, and play again all within 48 hours.

are you really so sensitive to any take other than “Tampa is the greatest team ever” that you’re monitoring the isles board....? Really man

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Now that the rage has subsided, it comes down to this. The Lightning are beatable, but it requires a virtually flawless game. The Islanders don’t have the skill to capitalize on every mistake the Lightning make. The Lightning, on the other hand, can do that to the Islanders. So they have much more margin for error than the Islanders do.

As much as I would love to see the Isles in the SCF this year, I just can’t see them playing 3 nearly perfect games in a row against Tampa. There’s no shame in losing to what is probably the best team in the NHL. They should not accept this, and should fight until the last whistle, but regardless they’ve put their heart and soul into the playoffs. Go out and find a way to get a legitimate scoring threat and there’s no reason they can’t make it back next year, and perhaps take that final leap

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Have to very respectfully disagree--- Eberle has been terrible this series--- RJ had a strong start, and, IMHO, deserved some more ice
Completely agree. I have tended to be an Eberle apologist but he has been horrible. He never wins a puck battle and literally just looks lost right now. Johnston played really well today and for the first period and half literally supplied our only offense. I realize he'll never be Guy Lafleur but he's got some skill and of course can bang. I hope with more playing time he can develop into Tom Wilson light!

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
they could’ve waited a day to start the series. It’s a bit ridiculous to play, fly across the country, and play again all within 48 hours.

are you really so sensitive to any take other than “Tampa is the greatest team ever” that you’re monitoring the isles board....? Really man
I hate bitching about such things but it was completely ridiculous! It's not like the NHL is pressed for time and we definitely got the short end of that stick.

Reactions: Strait2thecup

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Completely agree. I have tended to be an Eberle apologist but he has been horrible. He never wins a puck battle and literally just looks lost right now. Johnston played really well today and for the first period and half literally supplied our only offense. I realize he'll never be Guy Lafleur but he's got some skill and of course can bang. I hope with more playing time he can develop into Tom Wilson light!

It also seems, TB, while def having more skill, has more, bigger physically, players. Islanders seem smaller. When you play a game predicated on the forecheck/turnover/counter attack, you need guys who can skate and have enough size/physicality to turn pucks over
Another reason why the Cizikas line is effective

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It also seems, TB, while def having more skill, has more, bigger physically, players. Islanders seem smaller. When you play a game predicated on the forecheck/turnover/counter attack, you need guys who can skate and have enough size/physicality to turn pucks over

Tampa sort of lucked out with Point/Johnson/Palat/Gourde all being good at their small size. Its pretty rare to find 4 forwards anywhere in the league 5'8-5'10 who can be that effective

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Yeah it was pretty shocking how they out hit us in this game. Up until Nelson's goal all I kept thinking is "how are they out hitting us so bad?". I had been pining for Johnston to be in the lineup so we could go heavy but the fact is it doesn't work against them like it did in the past. They went out and got some beef in the offseason and it has really made a difference.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011

They are so highly skilled, and if you are going to slow them down at all, you have to bang them around a bit-- Eberle certainly isnt the guy to do that, and without our "regular" fourth line out there, was perfect scenario for RJ- I still wonder if he was hurt, because he was very solid in the first, and hardly saw any ice rest of way--- certainly wasnt a liability out there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad