Post-Game Talk: #4| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 13th | 3:00 PM | F/L 4-1

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's a conversation for after this series is over, but if you really believe what you wrote in the bolded than shouldn't we be questioning why Lou signed them both to long term deals? I know I was.
Long deals are always a risk. A lot
Of people questioned it at the time and I guess rightfully so. Lee was coming off a 34 and 40 goal seasons. I didn’t think he would age well but I did feel he would still be able to score in close to the net from what he showed. He had great hands so it wasn’t always luck or deflections. The last 2 years he’s gotten away from that and hasn’t been affective in scoring from there. The problem is if he’s not scoring he’s not doing much else. He’s a great leader but you don’t pay guys that much because they’re great leaders.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Bottom line, they ran into a buzz saw team that is supremely talented. They have it all, size, speed, great goaltending. I don’t think either Western team have a chance to beat the Lightning.

Think about this, if they beat the Isles Tuesday, they’ll have beaten the Bruins AND the Isles 4 games to 1 WITHOUT Stamkos. That’s incredible.

I actually think the Isles are better than both Western conference teams as well. Which kinda hurts, was having delusions of grandeur after the Isles made it only a 2 games to 1 deficit, but the Lightning just snapped me out of it. I felt if the Isles won this one, they could make it a long series, with a chance for the Isles to win the series.

Lightning are so good. The only game we won, they were without Point and Stamkos. Hopefully in the offseason, the Isles make some smart moves to tighten the gap between the 2 teams.
I think Dallas beats TB 4-2

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
We're unbeaten in elimination games this year and with MDC in team.
We know what needs to happen....

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Exactly. Would've been better for the long term if we could've hired Trotz one year later and sold everyone off while getting a top 5 pick.
Tough to know if that is sarcasm or not. Obviously none of us know what the deal was between BT and LL regarding the lineup once JT bolted, but if Trotz would have been willing to be in on a rebuild that would have been best if a rebuild would have been considered.

And again, all of this could be moot, because if Sorokin is all world and Wahly knocks it out of the park and Dobber can be what we hope then the Isles can compete at the highest level. It's just a lot of pieces having to fall into place.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Those skill guys all are not drafted in 1st round:
Point - 3rd
Kucherov - low 2nd
Palat - 7th (208th overall)

So it is true that you can find gem forwards outside 1st round but most of the star D comes from 1st round picks. What does this mean? Forward skills can be achieved later (except skating I believe) but elite offensive D skills are harder to acquire as D takes much longer to develop so there is less window for them to improve to elite level. By the time they get there, their body may take a toll already.
Been fascinated by this and my understanding from a thread about it is that Point went late for a couple of reasons: size, and he apparently played for a crappy team so he didn't get as much of a look from scouts. They also mention skating but it's unclear about how big of a concern this was, and as we know, you can work on skating skills. Kucherov may have suffered from anti-Russian bias, he rose a lot as a result of his performance in the WJCs that year but obv not enough to get into the first round. These guys have obviously exceeded projections to some degree but I think the talent has always been there, most teams just miss it.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Long deals are always a risk. A lot
Of people questioned it at the time and I guess rightfully so. Lee was coming off a 34 and 40 goal seasons. I didn’t think he would age well but I did feel he would still be able to score in close to the net from what he showed. He had great hands so it wasn’t always luck or deflections. The last 2 years he’s gotten away from that and hasn’t been affective in scoring from there. The problem is if he’s not scoring he’s not doing much else. He’s a great leader but you don’t pay guys that much because they’re great leaders.
You don't have to tell me, tell all the guys who were ripping me a new one last year because I had the temerity to say that who your captain is isn't that big of a deal. And frankly, production enhances leadership and lack of production undermines it. No one will ever admit, but that is the truth of the matter.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Bottom line, they ran into a buzz saw team that is supremely talented. They have it all, size, speed, great goaltending. I don’t think either Western team have a chance to beat the Lightning.

Think about this, if they beat the Isles Tuesday, they’ll have beaten the Bruins AND the Isles 4 games to 1 WITHOUT Stamkos. That’s incredible.

I actually think the Isles are better than both Western conference teams as well. Which kinda hurts, was having delusions of grandeur after the Isles made it only a 2 games to 1 deficit, but the Lightning just snapped me out of it. I felt if the Isles won this one, they could make it a long series, with a chance for the Isles to win the series.

Lightning are so good. The only game we won, they were without Point and Stamkos. Hopefully in the offseason, the Isles make some smart moves to tighten the gap between the 2 teams.
Yeah this is the frustrating thing that I cannot get out of my mind the past few days. If we were able to get past this round you could legit believe that we could win the cup. No matter what happens Tuesday, as I said at the end of last round, this has been a great season and we accomplished the goal in my mind, progression in advancing one round farther. But it would have been great to win a conference championship and when you look at the two teams on the other side and see how lower the level of play is between them than it is against Tampa, it does kinda suck.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
This is complete bullshit.
What dirty play did the Islanders do that preceded the Lightning being dirty?

honestly, I don’t recall many outright “dirty” things the Islanders have done. Killorn’s hit was dirty, Goodrows hit was dirty, Kucherov had a hissy fit and two-handed Pageau

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pretty much sums it up. Team has mastered blowing momentum. How many times have we given up a goal right after scoring one or committing a penalty after scoring.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You don't have to tell me, tell all the guys who were ripping me a new one last year because I had the temerity to say that who your captain is isn't that big of a deal. And frankly, production enhances leadership and lack of production undermines it. No one will ever admit, but that is the truth of the matter.
Can’t say I disagree.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
We're losing in Conference Finals to a stacked hungry team, fighting for every inch of the ice, yet people start discussing ... "rebuild". It's actually kinda funny.

yeah.. and considering the nhl basically handed Tampa game 1 with the schedule I’m not super worried

Reactions: buud

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Tough to know if that is sarcasm or not. Obviously none of us know what the deal was between BT and LL regarding the lineup once JT bolted, but if Trotz would have been willing to be in on a rebuild that would have been best if a rebuild would have been considered.

And again, all of this could be moot, because if Sorokin is all world and Wahly knocks it out of the park and Dobber can be what we hope, then the Isles can compete at the highest level. It's just a lot of piece having to fall into place.

I don't mind it when I need one "if" to fall into place. However when you need multiple "ifs" then you're probably in trouble.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This team is learning how to win. Now, the more important factor will be whether or not Lou can be crafty enough at his age to make us a true contender for years to come.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
We're losing in Conference Finals to a stacked hungry team, fighting for every inch of the ice, yet people start discussing ... "rebuild". It's actually kinda funny.
Yeah that is a ridiculous conversation. We are 1-2 players away from winning the cup right now. You put a Hoffman or Taylor Hall with Barzal, drop Lee to the third line with JGP and drop Johnston /Komarov from the lineup. You dont think this series is 2-2 or 3-1 us right now with that 1 change?

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
Yeah that is a ridiculous conversation. We are 1-2 players away from winning the cup right now. You put a Hoffman or Taylor Hall with Barzal, drop Lee to the third line with JGP and drop Johnston /Komarov from the lineup. You dont think this series is 2-2 or 3-1 us right now with that 1 change?

You forgot shooting Eberle into the sun ! Honestly, I would rather have RJ getting a shift or two with Barzal right now than Eberle-
Thats how bad Eberle has been !

Reactions: buud

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Those skill guys all are not drafted in 1st round:
Point - 3rd
Kucherov - low 2nd
Palat - 7th (208th overall)

So it is true that you can find gem forwards outside 1st round but most of the star D comes from 1st round picks. What does this mean? Forward skills can be achieved later (except skating I believe) but elite offensive D skills are harder to acquire as D takes much longer to develop so there is less window for them to improve to elite level. By the time they get there, their body may take a toll already.
It's hard to believe now, in fact it's pretty close to impossible to believe, but the main reason Point went in the third round, even more than his lack of size, was his poor skating ability.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
we lose with class. Play em hard and take the body but no need to try and be dirty.
He is a filthy player...I have no respect for him...none. He is one of the sneaky dirtiest players in the league.

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Shame MDC failed to live up to expectations.

If he became the goal scorer we thought we were getting, this series might be different.

Shame Big Griff was a total bust. If he even Showed a hint of being a serviceable bottom pair guy he’d still be here and we would be selecting 2nd or 3rd in the draft every year never mind this series being different . LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad