Post-Game Talk: #4| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 13th | 3:00 PM | F/L 4-1

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
At the end of the day, the Lightning are better on offense and in goal. Defense is maybe a wash or the Islanders are better. However, if Islanders the forwards can't get the puck moving through the blue line at even strength -- let alone during a power play it's tough to win games. The Lightning are simply the more talented team.

The more talented team will win this kind of series and heart really can't match Tampa's talent. I'd hate to see if Stamkos was in the lineup. If Columbus beat Tampa, then advanced, we'd be having a different conversation.

The 2020-2021 lineup especially up front will be interesting.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Lou will know exactly what this team needs going forward, so I think that there may be bigger changes ahead than we assumed. They are a goalscorer and a power play away from winning the Cup.

The way a player like Eberle has faded in these playoffs won't sit well with Lou

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Lou will know exactly what this team needs going forward, so I think that there may be bigger changes ahead than we assumed. They are a goalscorer and a power play away from winning the Cup.

The way a player like Eberle has faded in these playoffs won't sit well with Lou

He will make the changes, he will be very creative, team is not far off but it has to be built to contend with Tampa Bay for the next 2 years, and Carolina I think will be the other team if they can get goaltending

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Tampa is the better team, but we look gassed. We should never have let the flyers series go to seven games.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
One of the hardest things to do is to win the 4th series clinching game. Would I rather be up 3 games to 1 ? Of course but that said it is now one game at a time. We all knew that the power play was our Achilles and IF we lose this series we can look right at that because it is now and always has been a glaring weakness = this team needs finishers or scorers. Again---> on to game 5 and lets win 1 game,,,,,,,If they are tired or gassed they can have all off season to rest and recover as you wait your entire life to play for a Stanley Cup = suck it up buttercup

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm usually awaiting preseason updates on these dates. It's 9/15/83; the NYI had beaten EDM for the Cup in the year, I was only 3 months old. On 9/15/20, they're up 3-1, ready to seize the day. That's not changing.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Those "ifs" are no longer draft picks - they are a lot closer to panning out than not.

Disagree 100%. Each player is case by case. Dal Colle was already picked so that makes him a better bet to become a regular, much less impact, NHLer over Lafreniere? Please.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Great to see that we're back to the board's strong suit. Bashing the coach, the players and Lou.

I almost want to add a few repetitive comments but everyone's doing such a good job, why bother?

This will all look way better next month.

I assume "next month" means the offseason and if so why will things look "way better" then?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Tampa sort of lucked out with Point/Johnson/Palat/Gourde all being good at their small size. Its pretty rare to find 4 forwards anywhere in the league 5'8-5'10 who can be that effective
You can include Kuch in that list. He's listed at 5'11 but isn't. Palat doesn't fit here however. He's 6ft/195 with about 2% body fat and built like a brick shithouse. Pound for pound probably the strongest Lightning player.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I understand the idea behind changing the top line, but who do you switch around? You do not want to split up the arguably "top" line in Beau-Brock-Bailey and you want to keep the Martin-JGP-Clutter line together as well.

And therein lies the issue with the Islanders. We've known it for a long time, the lack of high end scoring talent will hinder this team from being a true Stanley Cup contender.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
You can include Kuch in that list. He's listed at 5'11 but isn't. Palat doesn't fit here however. He's 6ft/195 with about 2% body fat and built like a brick shithouse. Pound for pound probably the strongest Lightning player.
Kuch is 5'11+. He is friends with Panarin and in pictures together he looks as tall or taller

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The season as a whole will be looked at as a success with the benefit of a little time and perspective.

They are still more than one piece away, that's for sure.

On a related note, considering the current roster, cap situation and lack of draft picks we better hope Sorokin is lights out.

I'm an optimist so I think he is. Nothing to back that up, of course.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I want to see the hit that took him out. Apparently, it was Luke Schenn away from the puck

If so, just another dirty, scumbag play by the Lightning
AJ and Butchie in the postgame yesterday think it was the Schenn hit you mentioned. That looks like a hit from behind that clanged Zeeker's head off the glass. Could it have detached his retina from an earlier hit? The formerly INCARCERATED tweeter seems to think that's what Cizikas has, and it came from this Blake Coleman elbow.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tampa is the better team, but we look gassed. We should never have let the flyers series go to seven games.

Finishing the Flyers off in five or six wouldn't have given the team any additional time off though, less games before Tampa Bay sure, but not more time. The NHL was set to move ahead with the ECF the moment they were able to. Them being gassed isn't why they're losing, they just aren't as good as Tampa Bay. They had their chances in games 2-4, each could've been a win, but each time they fell short to a better team.

Reactions: MJF and The Real JT

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
AJ and Butchie in the postgame yesterday think it was the Schenn hit you mentioned. That looks like a hit from behind that clanged Zeeker's head off the glass. Could it have detached his retina from an earlier hit? The formerly INCARCERATED tweeter seems to think that's what Cizikas has, and it came from this Blake Coleman elbow.

TB really have taken liberties this series. The Nelson hits to the head, the Cizikas hit here. The 2 hander to Pageau, too many to name. I just want to win the next game, make it 2-3, just to have a hockey game on Thursday. I think games 2,3,4 have all been close, just a breakdown by both teams cost them the game. The Isles just need to clean this up for game 5. One game at a time. All you can do now. I think the boys will respond. Just make sure not to make those costly mistakes that seem to end up in the back of the net.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
TB really have taken liberties this series. The Nelson hits to the head, the Cizikas hit here. The 2 hander to Pageau, too many to name. I just want to win the next game, make it 2-3, just to have a hockey game on Thursday. I think games 2,3,4 have all been close, just a breakdown by both teams cost them the game. The Isles just need to clean this up for game 5. One game at a time. All you can do now. I think the boys will respond. Just make sure not to make those costly mistakes that seem to end up in the back of the net.
Hopefully LL can address that in the offseason. We lack a bit of bit to our game outside the 4th line and Johnston, and we should have some tougher players further up the lines.

I bet we'll see some moves that will appear puzzling at first only to realise much later that Lou actually had plan

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I said it earlier in the series but I think that is the scouting report on the Islanders. We are a smaller team, especially our skilled forwards. Take the extra shot at them. If someone retaliates, it's likely going to be Matt Martin, so if you can get him off the ice for 5 minutes the way he's been playing it's a bonus, and if you hobble Bailey, Barzal or Tito, even better.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hopefully LL can address that in the offseason. We lack a bit of bit to our game outside the 4th line and Johnston, and we should have some tougher players further up the lines.

I bet we'll see some moves that will appear puzzling at first only to realise much later that Lou actually had plan
Talented players with size is what you really want. JG Pageau is tough but small.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

The Bolts are as dirty as they come, and their "out there" posters compare to Leaf or Rag fans. I hope we win at least the next game, because it would do my old heart good to see them lose in the finals. Hedman is unreal, but there was no way we were going to draft him.
LGI!

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad