Post-Game Talk: #4| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 13th | 3:00 PM | F/L 4-1

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hopefully LL can address that in the offseason. We lack a bit of bit to our game outside the 4th line and Johnston, and we should have some tougher players further up the lines.

I bet we'll see some moves that will appear puzzling at first only to realise much later that Lou actually had plan
This is a really good point. Isles grit is really in the ID line. They set the tone for the team on how the Isles want to play. The most physical D man is Mayfield. You make a great point about Lou. He may make moves that you may scratch your head on, but as Trotz alluded to, he knows the players and what is required to win. I recall him trading for Scott Stevens or being awarded him as compensation for Shanahan. That was a game changer, most feared player in the game. Also he added Lemieux, and one of his main guys was Bobby Holik. It will be interesting what he does in the off season. I am with most here, it's been a hell of a ride, this has been a great year, only 1 team out of 31 win the cup. Being one of the last 4 teams standing means you have done better than 27 teams. Enjoy the moment, this Isles team has already done Long Island proud.

Reactions: buud and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The season as a whole will be looked at as a success with the benefit of a little time and perspective.

They are still more than one piece away, that's for sure.

Oh I don't need any more time - This year is a thumbs up overall. It will be anytime you have a team that outperforms it's talent level, and also improves each year as it hopefully culminates with a Cup win.

But as you said...This team is more than one piece away so I think this is about as far as we can go without getting those pieces...And unfortunately given the cap situation it's going to be very difficult to do so.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Gunna enjoy the game like it could be the last...

Till...

When?

Has any plan been mentioned about next season?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Even if the team loses the series, this has been FUN AS SHIT. I suggest enjoying this, because the fans of the other 27 teams aren't. Live a little bit. Only one team wins the Stanley Cup. There's no surefire formula to do it. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit.

This has seriously been a great month and a half of GREAT hockey that I did not think we would get.

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
This has seriously been a great month and a half of GREAT hockey that I did not think we would get.
I feel the same way. To think that in May I wanted the NHL to cancel the rest of the season. I haven't had such a wrong desire since 2014 when I feared Edmonton or Calgary would draft MDC and we'd get stuck with Draisaitl.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
They're saying December sometime.

I wonder if it might make sense for them to push that a little bit in hopes there will be at least 1-2 vaccines with widespread distribution and some dosages already administered, to allow fans back in the building in any kind of capacity. I don't know, maybe February or March?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I wonder if it might make sense for them to push that a little bit in hopes there will be at least 1-2 vaccines with widespread distribution and some dosages already administered, to allow fans back in the building in any kind of capacity. I don't know, maybe February or March?

I think they should angle for the season going into the summer from now on. If they push it back far enough they could also avoid the Olympics impacting the season maybe?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
TB really have taken liberties this series. The Nelson hits to the head, the Cizikas hit here. The 2 hander to Pageau, too many to name. I just want to win the next game, make it 2-3, just to have a hockey game on Thursday. I think games 2,3,4 have all been close, just a breakdown by both teams cost them the game. The Isles just need to clean this up for game 5. One game at a time. All you can do now. I think the boys will respond. Just make sure not to make those costly mistakes that seem to end up in the back of the net.
Another laughable "TB has victimized us and we haven't done anything to them" post. There has been generally equal violence in this series and we've given as good as we've gotten. Killorn spent his day in jail, Brock is fine and it's over. The only thing the Isles need to do about TB's "liberties" is find a way to capitalize on them when they do occur, otherwise they're going to keep doing it and they should. It's the NHL Conference Finals, not a men's league game.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think they should angle for the season going into the summer from now on. If they push it back far enough they could also avoid the Olympics impacting the season maybe?

It’s funny, I was always advocating starting the year sooner so they could be done by Memorial Day.

Now I’m fine with a Winter/Holiday Season start time culminating in a similar styled tournament (games all day long) in the Summer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It’s funny, I was always advocating starting the year sooner so they could be done by Memorial Day.

Now I’m fine with a Winter/Holiday Season start time culminating in a similar styled tournament (games all day long) in the Summer.

I thought they should switch hockey to the summer Olympics if possible, now I can see some of the benefit of flipping the schedule around to make the finals played during the summer when no other sport has their season ending. Being the only important sports games could help get more eyeballs on the sport. Doing what you suggest could also work, playoffs starting March instead of the middle of April.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's all gravy right now, but atleast there is hockey tomorrow. Win and there will be hockey Thursday. That's the mindset right now.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The "Fat Lady" has been duck taped...no singing tonight
Duct-Duck.jpg

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Lou will know exactly what this team needs going forward, so I think that there may be bigger changes ahead than we assumed. They are a goalscorer and a power play away from winning the Cup.

The way a player like Eberle has faded in these playoffs won't sit well with Lou

That's where a monstrous offer should be presentd to the Winnipeg Jets for seeing about getting Hat-trick Laine! He could be the "finisher sniper" they need to round out their readiness for Stanley Cup run success.
Jets need a top R.H.S. Dman. You have rfa Manitoba born/raised Ryan Pulock needing to be resigned.
He fits the bill perfectly for their needs.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
That's where a monstrous offer should be presentd to the Winnipeg Jets for seeing about getting Hat-trick Laine! He could be the "finisher sniper" they need to round out their readiness for Stanley Cup run success.
Jets need a top R.H.S. Dman. You have rfa Manitoba born/raised Ryan Pulock needing to be resigned.
He fits the bill perfectly for their needs.
Straight up?....I.E. We don't add,do they?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Well, before you trade Pulock, you try and trade Boychuk to some defense-starved team who could see that the defense-oriented Islanders made the Cup finals and they want blue-line grit like that.

When that doesn't work, you shop Leddy to the same teams.

When that doesn't work, THEN you shop Pulock.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Well, before you trade Pulock, you try and trade Boychuk to some defense-starved team who could see that the defense-oriented Islanders made the Cup finals and they want blue-line grit like that.

When that doesn't work, you shop Leddy to the same teams.

When that doesn't work, THEN you shop Pulock.

Only issue is those teams watched the playoffs. Boychuk just got 12 minutes after being out since the qualifying round. They are going to want to drive the shiniest car with low mileage off the lot and it ain't Boychuk.

I do agree Boychuk and Leddy should be shopped first but just trying to manage expectations as it is undoubtedly a tougher sell than dangling any of Pulock, Toews, Mayfield. Though with Trotz use of Mayfield, he may just get a 7 year deal when his contract expires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad