Post-Game Talk: #4| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | June 5th | 7:15 PM | F/W 4-1

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
You guys want a few laughs read the GDT on the Bruins board. According to them, Barzal's goal hitting it out of mid air straight into the net was a "fluke goal." Marchands goal the other night in OT was a "beautiful shot." The NBC announcers last night was "rooting for the Isles and basically a NY broadcast." Oh, and also "Barzal was a wussy" for going down after being speared and we are the "biggest divers in the league."
And this is not 1 or 2 idiots. This is 95% of the posts on that board. While you see plenty of posts on our board saying how tough Rask has been to beat or how great their first line is, etc. You are hard pressed to find a single post on their board of anything acknowledging a positive thing about the Islanders.

Talking about divers, the guy who Barzal cross checked high didn’t even get hit with Barzys stick, it was his own shoulder pad.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anyone who says Barzal is soft is nuts. Just took a big hit, doesn't lie on the ice, goes to the bench. Also, he showed up for the team when they needed him most. That's an Islander.

Let's close this out, and even the damn thing up. Bare down boys.
Barzal is not a soft player. Jordan Eberle is soft as a kitten.

I think this may be the biggest problem for Barzal's line. Eberle will not go to the greasy areas or fight for the inches.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I think this may be the biggest problem for Barzal's line. Eberle will not go to the greasy areas or fight for the inches.
I agree. I would take Palmieri over Eberle right now, Palmieri is a tough player. He has got an Isles mentality. Eberle is ok but he is perimeter and he has been sort of inflated by playing with Lee and Barzal these past 3 seasons. If we can re-sign Palmieri, and I think Lou has a plan there. Get rid of Ladd or move Bailey or Eberle or have them picked up by Seattle, I would sign off on that trade off in a NY min.

Reactions: potvinsocks

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Great and gritty win. Love the bounce back from Varly- and holy recent deadline magic Batman between Palmieri and Pageau (Zajac too)!

Call me crazy- but I actually like that 2 of the next 3 are potentially in Boston. As great as the NVMC environment can be- still think we are guilty of over-passing/trying to put on too much of a show on home ice. Must keep it simple- and that style tends to lend itself more to the road.
You're not wrong at all. The Islanders still do not get enough pucks to the net. There are no bad shots. Force Rask to make a save rather than looking for the extra pass (hello Tito!). What's the worst that can happen? We get a faceoff in the Bruins zone?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’d you say “they” you’re welcome here. If you say “we”, you’re welcome here. If you’re going to gatekeep, gtfo.

why do people care about this?
Every chatroom and bulletin board has it's resident prig.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
Pelech has raised his game to levels beyond ridiculousness. He is absurdly good at hockey. He played out of his mind last night.
Love Pelech. Not sure which game it was in the Pitt series but he did a post game interview after a loss and he was so upset/angry about it he could barely speak. The guy he was paired with had to carry like 90 percent of the interview. That’s the type of player i want on my team.

Reactions: potvinsocks and JKP

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't want to discount Barzal's play the past couple games but I think the difference is when Islanders at home Trotz gets to do the line matchups. No coincidence Barzal has 6 points in 5 home games and 1 point in 5 road games. On the flip side if you look at Pageau's stats, he seems to produce better on the road(6 points vs 3 points(I ignore the empty netter)) and that generally seems to be because he seems to get lesser matchups on the road.
I suppose I can understand, although I completely disagree with, the logic of calling it a slash: if you call a spear a spear, it's an automatic five and match, which is why the league is scared to call it. The ref made the right call initially, but was overruled.

I hope the DOPS looks at it and gives him a game or two, although I'm not optimistic.
Why not? Parros reversed course since the Wilson incident. Now he's giving out games like he's giving out candy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No, it's they.
It's we. The players will attest to the Isles fans as their 6th man on the ice. I have yet to see a fanbase as the Isles fans. We all feel a part of it, if you say they, you are not likely a true Isles fan IMO. But who cares? We won game 4, we are tied in the series in rd 2. This is not going to ruin a beautiful Sunday for any of us.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

This right here. Been saying it for sometime now. Eberle’s lack of board work kills a lot of zone possession. Also you will rarely see him score a goal where he is fighting off a defender.

Eberle NEEDS time and space to be an effective scorer. He either gets it from a player like Lee handling the boards or tying up defenders in front of the net, or from defensive zone break downs. When you see his goals it’s almost exclusively when he has space.

But to be clear, I’m not faulting Eberle on his desire or effort. For a traditionally one-way offensive player it’s obvious he has bought in and is trying to play within the Isles structure. He’s just not effective with the physical aspects that the Islanders style requires.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Komarov is generally the guy on that line who goes to the crease. Him standing there draws 2 Bruins over to try to move him and creates the open space for Barzal to work with.

This is such an underrated aspect of Lee’s game. Since he is bigger and more skilled then Komarov it’s impossible for the opposition to NOT commit a player or two to deal with him in front of the net.

Even if Lee is not scoring he’s creating more time and space for Eberle and Barzal.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
You guys want a few laughs read the GDT on the Bruins board. According to them, Barzal's goal hitting it out of mid air straight into the net was a "fluke goal." Marchands goal the other night in OT was a "beautiful shot." The NBC announcers last night was "rooting for the Isles and basically a NY broadcast." Oh, and also "Barzal was a wussy" for going down after being speared and we are the "biggest divers in the league."
And this is not 1 or 2 idiots. This is 95% of the posts on that board. While you see plenty of posts on our board saying how tough Rask has been to beat or how great their first line is, etc. You are hard pressed to find a single post on their board of anything acknowledging a positive thing about the Islanders.
The GDTs in the main board is a swamp as well. The best is a guy named NeelywasaWarrior who keeps ranting that the Islanders are nothing but a bunch of grinders and pluggers and them advancing would be bad for the NHL. How ironic. That dude needs to change his name to ToreyKrugisaGod.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So far in this series, Games 2, 3, and 4 have played out almost exactly the same. Tight checking and some great goaltending. Neither team gives you much room to work with. You will not be able to get the artistic goal or score from above the hashmarks. If you want to win you will fight for the inches. Man it's been stressful watching these games in person. But if you were watching without a dog in the fight I'd say this has been the most competitive series in this round. Boring hockey it is not.

Some takeaways from Game 4:

I think Varlamov was fighting the puck. Either he's not tracking the puck well or he is not positioned right. Either was he looks like he could use a session at Camp Korn.

Adam Pelech was a monster on the blueline again. I feel so at ease when I see number 3 on the ice. Lou, sign him NOW.

The Bruins came into the Coliseum looking for a chippy game. WTF was Horseface Hall thinking going after Scott Mayfield??? Take a defenseman off the ice for 5 minutes while Hall is in the box also? I'll take THAT tradeoff every game. Matt Martin caved Jared Tinordi's head. You love to see it.

We say it here all the time, the Islanders do not get enough pucks to the net. All 4 lines are guilty of this. I guess a shoot first mentality is just not part of our DNA. So frustrating to watch.

3 Stars:

1. Barzy
2. Pager
3. Varly

Reactions: JKP

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree. I would take Palmieri over Eberle right now, Palmieri is a tough player. He has got an Isles mentality. Eberle is ok but he is perimeter and he has been sort of inflated by playing with Lee and Barzal these past 3 seasons. If we can re-sign Palmieri, and I think Lou has a plan there. Get rid of Ladd or move Bailey or Eberle or have them picked up by Seattle, I would sign off on that trade off in a NY min.
we've both floated this idea out there this series. If I was making a change to the first line it would not be to drop Komarov down, it would be to swap out Palmieri with Eberle.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
we've both floated this idea out there this series. If I was making a change to the first line it would not be to drop Komarov down, it would be to swap out Palmieri with Eberle.
Yep, we did. I am okay with keeping the status quo. Marchand has been relatively shut down(abeit the OT goal, yuck) by Palmieri with great assistance by Pelech and Pulock. Which brings me to this pt. Who has been better, Palmieri or Hall this series. I think we know what the answer is right now, hope it continues. Senile Lou strikes again.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This right here. Been saying it for sometime now. Eberle’s lack of board work kills a lot of zone possession. Also you will rarely see him score a goal where he is fighting off a defender.

Eberle NEEDS time and space to be an effective scorer. He either gets it from a player like Lee handling the boards or tying up defenders in front of the net, or from defensive zone break downs. When you see his goals it’s almost exclusively when he has space.

But to be clear, I’m not faulting Eberle on his desire or effort. For a traditionally one-way offensive player it’s obvious he has bought in and is trying to play within the Isles structure. He’s just not effective with the physical aspects that the Islanders style requires.
As long as Eberle keeps weaving around the low ice and heading back to the perimeter instead of staying put near the net while Barzal has the puck he is useless. The Bruins do not allow opposing forwards the outside area the way Pastrnak gets it when the B's have the puck. Eberle will not score from the circles against Rask. He's been too solid, and Eberle isn't that good of a shot to regularly snipe the corners.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Yep, we did. I am okay with keeping the status quo. Marchand has been relatively shut down(abeit the OT goal, yuck) by Palmieri with great assistance by Pelech and Pulock. Which brings me to this pt. Who has been better, Palmieri or Hall this series. I think we know what the answer is right now, hope it continues. Senile Lou strikes again.
Remember when all the Bruins fans were saying nobody could stop NHL MVP Taylor Hall and that he was better than everyone on our team? Yeah, those were good times!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Remember when all the Bruins fans were saying nobody could stop NHL MVP Taylor Hall and that he was better than everyone on our team? Yeah, those were good times!!!
I am not a big Taylor Hall fan, but I give him credit for fighting Mayfield. But yes, agreed. Palmieri has been better this series, and Zajac has been quietly almost as good. Lou knew what he was getting in that trade, I give him full credit for this. I had my doubts in the beginning in regular season play, but now am fully on board even more when the trade was made which I liked. Like it more right now going into TD garden 2-2. Scary now to think if we didn't make that deal.

Reactions: potvinsocks and JKP

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
THEY won tonight, I don't play for the team. And yes, my first season tickets were in their inaugural year, shared with my cousins. So I mixed up the player, big deal.

Let's just celebrate the win and hope they keep playing hard on Monday night like they did tonight.

Their hard checking on marchand and hall were things of beauty.
No no no.....I had problems with this in school too. They is a singular pronoun. What you are trying to say is "the Islanders hockey team won the game" and "the fans of the Islanders hockey team partied hard and had a great time":thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad