Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
What a disappointment OJ had been, I still think he has the potential to be a decent NHL Defenseman but at that draft position you would expect a surefire thing, regardless of where he slots onto the roster.

I’m just gonna state the obvious here and say drafting defensemen in the first round sucks. I’ve seen too many Barkers, Gudbransons, Juolevis and Pouilots for a lifetime, keeping drafting high end skill with those 1st round picks and then go heavy defense from 2-4.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
What a disappointment OJ had been, I still think he has the potential to be a decent NHL Defenseman but at that draft position you would expect a surefire thing, regardless of where he slots onto the roster.

I’m just gonna state the obvious here and say drafting defensemen in the first round sucks. I’ve seen too many Barkers, Gudbransons, Juolevis and Pouilots for a lifetime, keeping drafting high end skill with those 1st round picks and then go heavy defense from 2-4.

Generally agreed. D is way too difficult a position to project when a guy is 17, unless you have a clear franchise guy (Dahlin, Hedman, Doughty) near the top.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011

Please don’t remind me, we could have had petey boeser and Tkachuk horvat lines for the next 10+ years

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Do you have any evidence defencemen drafted with high picks tend not to succeed? All you've done is list 4 defencemen who busted out of dozens drafted high in the first round.

Reactions: lousy

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I know by CHL/AHL agreement , Woo can’t play in the AHL next season.
Is there any to get him there? Like maybe he can sign an one day contract with some European team or something

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Say if he looks close to ready in the preseason
What do we do exactaly? Send him back to WHL for his senior year or keep him and give him limit ice times

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
What do we do exactaly? Send him back to WHL for his senior year or keep him and give him limit ice times

Send him back to WHL. Let him develop properly by playing 25 min a night rather than 10 min here in the NHL.

He has a chance to play in the WJC too.

No need to rush him into the NHL only to limit his development.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Only 3 second-round draft picks from 2017 have played in the NHL and they have combined for just 25 games. Jett Woo is almost certainly going to be back in the WHL next season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Only 3 second-round draft picks from 2017 have played in the NHL and they have combined for just 25 games. Jett Woo is almost certainly going to be back in the WHL next season.
Woo was 2018 draft FACT

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Still 2-3 years away but right now he is looking promising, the fact that he is Asian and has a cool last name is awesome.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah, and next year he'll be the same age as the guys from the 2017 draft this season. And considering very few of those guys have played in the NHL by this year, there shouldn't be any expectation that Woo does so next season.
Yeah agreed. And as we all saw this year with guys who had STELLAR whl and European seasons they struggled when transferred to AHL (lindy, Dahlen, etc)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He's currently playing on SNP.

Moose Jaw PP is stacked, just got a nice assist.

Daemon Hunt also seems like a really interesting potential 1st round pick in 2020.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still 2-3 years away but right now he is looking promising, the fact that he is Asian and has a cool last name is awesome.
Uh no....he's not 'Asian'....he's a Canadian of Chinese ancestry, who as far I know has never set foot in Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad