Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Even if he’s Canadian doesn’t change that he is in fact an Asian, the only difference is his nationality. Or maybe it’s something that’s lost in translation, English isn’t my first language so I apologise if this sounds dumb. Correct me if I’m wrong

I was offended when I first read your post until you admitted you are an ESL, because I am a visible minority Canadian. Out of curiosity, how do you categorize Ryan Reeves and Eric Gudbranson, using this same method?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Even if he’s Canadian doesn’t change that he is in fact an Asian, the only difference is his nationality. Or maybe it’s something that’s lost in translation, English isn’t my first language so I apologise if this sounds dumb. Correct me if I’m wrong
Actually, he’s only half Asian. His mom is caucasian German

Reactions: LordBacon

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I hope for a strong showing in the WHL playoffs, a good training camp and an invite to the WJCs, that's about it

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I was offended when I first read your post until you admitted you are an ESL, because I am a visible minority Canadian. Out of curiosity, how do you categorize Ryan Reeves and Eric Gudbranson, using this same method?
Well I know nothing about them, not gonna make the same mistake :)
Sorry for offending you man It wasn’t my intention. Cheers man.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some draft sites are now saying that Woo should probably have been a late first round pick last season, but the late season injury hurt his chances.

Never seen the kid play, but the projection after being drafted was that he was a physical, safe d-man with limited offensive ceiling. So what gives this season? Almost a ppg player as a d-man in the WHL is pretty impressive for draft-plus-one season.

So do we have revise the conventional wisdom about Woo? Will his offense translate to pro hockey, or is it just an example of a kid putting up numbers with a top junior team?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Some draft sites are now saying that Woo should probably have been a late first round pick last season, but the late season injury hurt his chances.

Never seen the kid play, but the projection after being drafted was that he was a physical, safe d-man with limited offensive ceiling. So what gives this season? Almost a ppg player as a d-man in the WHL is pretty impressive for draft-plus-one season.

So do we have revise the conventional wisdom about Woo? Will his offense translate to pro hockey, or is it just an example of a kid putting up numbers with a top junior team?

His defence has always been his meal ticket. Tough, intimidating and fundamental.

However his offence imo has been under rated. Last year Moose Jaw traded for Kale Clague and that pushed Woo down the depth chart for offensive situations.

This year they trusted him and he has been unleashed. Very good vision and has a sneaky shot that always seems to get through.

I can see him QBing the 2nd unit PP while playing PK1.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don’t think his offense will translate but the points do indicate a level of puck-moving ability and decision-making that is necessary even to be an effective shutdown defensemen in the NHL

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Anyways guys, its been a good D+1 season for him, lets hope he builds on his weaknesses in the off season and takes the NEXT step next season

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think the "limited offensive ceiling" has more to do with the fact that there's nothing elite in terms of his skills package, he didn't put up the numbers in his draft-eligible year, and he has a tendency to play it safe. The overall "package" is there for him to be projected as more of a two way Dman rather than a stay at home Dman. Had he stayed healthy and put up respectable offensive totals in his draft eligible year, he may have been seen as a Dman with more offensive upside from more NHL scouts.

With that said, these are critical developmental years where prospects could take significant steps forward. Woo was a highly ranked prospect throughout his hockey career for a reason. He does have skill and playmaking vision that could be further developed.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
The conventional wisdom seems to be to keep him in the WHL for another season, but is it that crazy that he could make the big team next year? He has a few things going for him:
- He fills a major organizational need (defensive RHD with good size and physicality)
- He is physically developed with NHL speed and strength
- His defensive game seems very mature for his age
- He may not have much more to learn at the junior level
- He is ineligible to play in the AHL

It would be pretty crazy to have three rookie defensemen on the team, but if he has a good camp and doesn't look out of place, why not give him a longer look? Even if he's a #7, I think there are players that benefit more from practicing with NHL players than from playing against teenagers, and he might be one.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

I don't think his offensive production itself is anything too impressive. He's playing top minutes and on the power play. It is a very encouraging sign that he has improved his offence from the previous year but his numbers are pretty much what we should expect.

Ryan Merkeley 21st overall: 1.15ppg
Nicolas Beaudin 27th overall: 1.10 ppg
Alexander Alexeyev 31st overall: 0.88 ppg
Jared Mcissac 36th overall: 1.20 ppg
Jett Woo 37th overall: 1.02 ppg
Bode Wilde 41st overall: 1.19 ppg
Sean durzi 52nd overall: 1.06 ppg
Calen Addison 53rd overall: 0.97 ppg
Kevin Bahl 55th overall: 0.49ppg

Those are ALL of the defencemen from the 2018 draft taken late first round or second round playing in canadian major juniors in their d+1. Outside of Kevin Bahl everyone else is putting up ~1ppg.

Woo's strengths are still his defence. I think it's too early to project any kind of offensive dmen potential at the NHL level.

Reactions: tyhee

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't think his offensive production itself is anything too impressive. He's playing top minutes and on the power play. It is a very encouraging sign that he has improved his offence from the previous year but his numbers are pretty much what we should expect.

Those are ALL of the defencemen from the 2018 draft taken late first round or second round playing in canadian major juniors in their d+1. Outside of Kevin Bahl everyone else is putting up ~1ppg.

Woo's strengths are still his defence. I think it's too early to project any kind of offensive dmen potential at the NHL level.
I dont think its impressive in the sense hes not exceeding expectations that a d+1 prospect should have. Hes trending as he should.

However, I think its very impressive relative to the expectations going into this season. Woo is keeping up with offensive defenseman in terms of raw production. You look at the first few pages of this thread, people were absolutely trashing the pick. He exceeded my expectations I thought he was going to get 0.5-0.75ppg. Unlike some of the other defenseman (ex. Addison) producing similarly to him, woo doesn't have big problems on the defensive end. I think it's a big win overall so far.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Fair enough, but projecting as a solid defensive defenseman that plays an aggressive style, with decent size, and that isn't a black hole offensively is very, very good.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017

Woo is far more physical than everyone on this list. He is also one of the better defensive players on that list. I'm curious to see if he plays in Utica next year. I think he could be huge for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad