Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Jett Woo is top 5 in PPG for defence man, also still 18 years old and is playing behind Josh Brook. Very impressive season thus far

It's playing behind Brook that gets me. Juolevi split time with the Mete pairing in his D+1 season and couldn't manage a PPG pace. Woo is beating that performance without prime usage. He's clearly below Brook in the pecking order... and he's excelling.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It's playing behind Brook that gets me. Juolevi split time with the Mete pairing in his D+1 season and couldn't manage a PPG pace. Woo is beating that performance without prime usage. He's clearly below Brook in the pecking order... and he's excelling.

Yeah,gotta be pretty happy with the Jett Woo pick,the guy is blowing the doors off expectations this season and no red flags for his production like being on a stacked team or getting tons of PP1 time.He's doing it the hard way while being a defensive stalwart who plays physical.We need him to make it to the NHL in a bad way,especially if Tanev doesn't want to re-sign next season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Umm... they played in different leagues and Juolevi was deployed as a shutdown Dman in his D+1 season.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It’s because Woo is solid and Juolevi is a scrub.

Possibly.

Interesting to compare the two. I did some digging and found:

- Sample is small for Woo, but if things hold he will have surpassed Juolevi's eP1/60 ratio (primary points) from 2015-16. In 2015-16, Juolevi's eP1/60 was 0.9. Woo's is currently 1.04.

- Relative to Juolevi's 2016-17 season, Woo is in an easier role, but is playing with worse teammates. Juolevi's QoC GF% was 51.07 while Woo's QoC GF% is 48.55. Meanwhile, Juolevi's QoT GF% was 61.22 and Woo's QoT GF% is 57.24.

- In terms of GF%Rel, they are opposites: Juolevi was at -9.05 and Woo is at +8.96.

From a cursory glance, it seems like Woo's performance this year is more representative of Juolevi's performance in his draft year, not his D+1 season.

In terms of D+1 seasons, Juolevi's rate stats do not compare. As in, even Woo's GA/60 is better. However, Juolevi’s QoC was definitely higher while he also had the better linemates... Overall, a deeper dive is required to surmise where each player should have been given the difference in QoC + QoT.

Last edited:

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Jett Woo
#4 D, Moose Jaw Warriors WHL

SeasonTeamGPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGGWGFOWFOAPTS/G
2018 - 19 Regular SeasonMJ44103545134610821001.02
2017 - 18 Regular SeasonMJ4491625293320831000.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Before Dec 3, 2018
Woo GP 21 G 4 A 12 P 16 PPG 0.76

After Dec 3, 2018 (Woo not making Canada’s World Junior camp)
Woo GP 23 G 6 A 23 P 29 PPG 1.26

Reactions: lindgren

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Jett Woo
#4 D, Moose Jaw Warriors WHL

SeasonTeamGPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGGWGFOWFOAPTS/G
2018 - 19 Regular SeasonMJ44103545134610821001.02
2017 - 18 Regular SeasonMJ4491625293320831000.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Before Dec 3, 2018
Woo GP 21 G 4 A 12 P 16 PPG 0.76

After Dec 3, 2018 (Woo not making Canada’s World Junior camp)
Woo GP 23 G 6 A 23 P 29 PPG 1.26

Also to note Brooks making the WJC gave woo a bigger opportunity.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Every #1 pick plays as a shutdown defender in junior at that age. Juolevi’s production and season were terrible.

As for Woo, he’s having a hell of a season after a slow first month and has absolutely passed Juolevi on our prospect charts.

I would wait to see how Woo does in the AHL before saying he has absolutely passed Juolevi. There is nothing absolute about that. Promising for sure, but he has not shown more than that yet. I am happy with how he is growing.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I would wait to see how Woo does in the AHL before saying he has absolutely passed Juolevi. There is nothing absolute about that. Promising for sure, but he has not shown more than that yet. I am happy with how he is growing.

Obviously Woo could go off the rails, but I’d imagine what MS is saying is that Woo is showing strong growth and progression, while Juolevi more-or-less remained the same post-draft. Even now you can reasonably ask how much this player has really progressed since he was 17.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Obviously Woo could go off the rails, but I’d imagine what MS is saying is that Woo is showing strong growth and progression, while Juolevi more-or-less remained the same post-draft. Even now you can reasonably ask how much this player has really progressed since he was 17.

And Juolevi has had two injuries over the past two years that has set him back. One was slowly showing improvement in the AHL while the other is surprising others with his growth in the WHL. That is not grounds for throwing around words like "absolutely ahead of". Lets watch both of them on the same playing field and make the call then. Right now Woo is shiny and new. I am very happy at how he is progressing, but there is no evidence he is going to be any better (or worse) or is the better prospect at this time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And Juolevi has had two injuries over the past two years that has set him back. One was slowly showing improvement in the AHL while the other is surprising others with his growth in the WHL. That is not grounds for throwing around words like "absolutely ahead of". Lets watch both of them on the same playing field and make the call then. Right now Woo is shiny and new. I am very happy at how he is progressing, but there is no evidence he is going to be any better (or worse) or is the better prospect at this time.
I'm not so sure. Obviously Quinn Hughes is in a class of his own as the Canucks top d-prospect. But based on Juolevi's draft plus two seasons, I'd say that Woo is nipping at his heels, and might even pass him on the prospect depth chart by the end of the season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
One was slowly showing improvement in the AHL

Well....not exactly.

He's having the exact same issues he's had since pre-draft, draft, and post draft now: he can make a nice pass but doesn't engage physically, doesn't compete, can't be relied upon at even strength, and his skating isn't up to par. Sure, he's put up some PP points. Great. But he was playing sheltered 3rd pairing minutes as a D+3 player who had just spent the season in a mens league in Finland, and is a 5th overall pick.

And with a knee surgery to go with his recent back surgery, that's more of a red flag than a "ohhhhh it's just this little nagging thing holding him back from coming back as 3x the player"

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Every #1 pick plays as a shutdown defender in junior at that age. Juolevi’s production and season were terrible.

As for Woo, he’s having a hell of a season after a slow first month and has absolutely passed Juolevi on our prospect charts.
Juolevi was NEVER on a shutdown pairing in London, not in his first year or his 2nd year.

He was on the soft minute 2nd pair, akin to the Edler-Ehrhoff pairing in this teams hey day with Evan Bouchard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad