Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by cookiefest, Jun 23, 2018.

1. xtra

xtra Registered User

Home Page:
    Has Woo been impressive or has he shown the growth required to consider him a true prospect?

It’s probably semantics between using the word impressive and on track but in my mind impressive would be if he was at like 1.5ppg as a dman.

He’s doing damn well (much better than I expected) and tracking great but let’s wait to see him in the pros before penciling him in the nhl

2. DownGoesMcDavid

DownGoesMcDavid Registered User

0% chance Woo is in the NHL next year. He has taken a big step this year but i think he still has ways to go.

Doing well in the WHL isnt the same as being NHL ready.

Lets temper then expectations here.

I expect him to play again in the WHL next year and also be a force for Team Canada in the WJC.

Woo will orobably benefit from playing in the AHL for a seasom or two.

Remember he is a physical player, there will be a learning curve and adjustments period between hitting teenagers in the WHL to going body to body with professionals.

Timeline: 2-3 yrs until he is NHL ready.

I will say this tho, if he hits his ceiling and becomes a 2way physical beast for Van then he will quickly become a fan favorite especially considering his asian background and the diverse population in Vancouver.

This would be a cash money jackpot for Aqualini

Luckylarry likes this.
  3. F A N

F A N Registered User

1.5ppg as a Dman in the WHL over the course of a season wouldn't be "impressive" but haven't seen since 1980s type production.

4. Luckylarry

Luckylarry Registered User

Retired
    Kind of the next Bieksa? Maybe doesn't fight as well, but the kid sure is physical, while bringing offence too.

5. xtra

xtra Registered User

Home Page:
    Which would be impressive

6. PorscheDesign

PorscheDesign Registered User

1.5 PPG would mean he's on track to being an offensive juggernaut in the NHL. That's not what I would expect from Woo, I think he will top out as a 30-40 point defenceman that plays great defence and makes big hits.

Woo has been impressive considering he is still only 18 years old, I think he will crack the NHL when he's 20 years old.

7. DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker Registered User

Yup - jet Woo is Also 18. If he was producing like that we could probably skip the formality’s and retire his number now to the ring of honour

8. DownGoesMcDavid

Ya kinda but better defensively.

If he hits a homerun with his development i really see a Vlasic style...

Luckylarry likes this.
  9. WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca Registered User

He’s doing better than expected imo but this is probably mostly semantics.
    He was drafted in the second round because he lacked decent offensive numbers but was seen as a strong physical defensive defenseman. Now that the offense has come he’d probably go higher in a redraft. Maybe a later first?
    Doesn’t mean he still can’t bust though. That’s just the nature of prospects even those who exceed expectations the year after the draft.

And yes Canuck fans like all fans tend to overrate their prospects (although a few like Horvat and Pettersson were probably underrated). But this really has no impact on Woo and whether or not he will be a top 4 defenseman.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  10. 420Canuck

420Canuck Registered User

Pretty much most products from the most recent draft have upped their production, that is the expectation for every prospect as they mature. It doesn't mean they'd go any higher in a re-draft. The only prospect taken within that late 1st to 2nd round range that looks to have been a poor pick is Filip JOhnasson, who was Minnesota's 1st rounder.

It isn't even really like his offense came out of nowhere, he was really productive last year, got hurt, Moose Jaw pushed their chips to the middle, acquired an elite 19 year old defender and Woo's role changed. Prior to Moose Jaw acquiring Clague, Woo put up 23 points in 28 games, not too dissimilar from what he's doing now.

I still don't think he projects as a point producer moving forward, but he's progressing as well as you could hope. I just think these people comparing him to Shea Weber and thinking he's going to walk into the NHL at 20 is putting the cart before the horse. The jump from junior to the NHL is huge.

11. Drunkan Keith

Drunkan Keith Behind The Bench

Huh, Jett Woo seems like the complete opposite of Bieksa.

Bieksa was a swashbuckling, puck-rushing offensive D like Jovo. Weak in his own zone and always out of position with his Casual Kev brain cramps. Remember him always sliding on his belly while opposing forwards skated around him? He could fight and scrum it up but don't really remember him being that physical between whistles.

Woo is a stay at home D who's in good defensive position but isn't a flashy offensive puck rusher. Doubt he produces much offense in the NHL.

alternate and Megaterio Llamas like this.
  12. Cupless44

Cupless44 Registered User

Woo was tracking as a first rounder going into his draft year. He was off to a very good start until injuries derailed his season which is why he slipped to the 2nd round. I think he has a good chance to be a solid NHL pro in 2-3 seasons.

WetcoastOrca likes this.
  13. Zombotron

Zombotron DAE 2016 trade deadline? :)

They expect one of us in the wreckage, Valtteri
    Hi, uninformed dumbass here. How does Jett Woo compare to a player like Ethan Bear, who also went roughly PPG in his D+1? Or Dan Hamhuis (who put up those numbers in a different era, which I wouldn't know how to adjust for)? I'll hang up and listen to your answer

14. RobertKron

RobertKron Registered User

FWIW, Hamhuis won the Four Broncos, and both the WHL and CHL top defenseman awards in his D+1.

15. Hodgy

Hodgy Registered User

Yes, and was also a first round pick by a Nashville organization that has incredible amateur scouting when it comes to defensemen, for what its worth.

16. RobertKron

Always wonder a bit how he turns out if he’s not playing out his early career on a backend that also features Suter, Weber, and Timonen.

17. bobbyb2009

bobbyb2009 Registered User

This is a really good point, I think!

How much does coming into the league with top level players around you and beside you contribute to your development? How much does the right fit of being given responsibility you can handle, that stretches you but allows for a feeling of "success" as opposed to constant failure contribute to the short term and long term success of a player.

What do they call it... finding the zone of optimal proximal development or something?

If what you are implying helped Hamhuis, what should that say about the Canucks choices in building the defence roster for the next few years? And how are players like Woo, Juolevi, or even Hughes best introduced into the league?

18. RobertKron

I meant more that Hamhuis maybe doesn't end up specializing as a defensive defenseman quite so much. His career high in points came in his sophomore season, at 22, before Weber established himself.

19. bobbyb2009

bobbyb2009 Registered User

Interesting! That would be one reasonable question or way to look at the effect of the initial role on development. I suggest there are others too.

He has had a tremendous career, as have many that have gone through that club. How much effect did being around those players and being given an appropriate role mean to either the growth or direction of their careers?

20. F A N

F A N Registered User

I think Hamhuis’ draft position was affected by his average size. I don’t think Woo is similar to Hamhuis at all. Hamhuis came into the league as an offensive Dman with penchant for open ice hits.

21. VanCanFanEDM

VanCanFanEDM Registered User

I saw him play vs the Oil Kings and was very impressed.. Very confident and controlled, didn't waste energy... He already looked like a pro player, compared to the WHL competition he was playing against.. We really need to spend more 2nd round picks on defensemen.

lindgren likes this.
  22. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

Jett Woo and Tyler Madden have made quantum leaps in their draft-plus-one seasons. Really that's the best you can hope for with players drafted in the second and third rounds.

And regardless of the competition they're facing, what you have to love about both of them is their 'compete level'. It's relentless, as is their drive to improve. And that's what will make or break them as pro players one day.

Luckylarry and WetcoastOrca like this.
  23. Superlative Soup

Superlative Soup Registered User

Bieksa comp keeps coming up for some reason. Only similarity there is they both shoot right.

How would Woo compare to a guy like Valimaki?

24. WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca Registered User

Agree 100%. Drive is such a key part of what makes a pro player.
    The great thing is that both of them seem to play with that drive and compete level almost every game. We’ve had prospects that have great games and then some poor ones which makes their long term future much more suspect. But these two seem to bring it almost every night. Woo has been one of the three stars in a ton of games this year.

lindgren likes this.
  25. DownGoesMcDavid

Another primary assist while locking down the Medicine Hat to 1 goal

lindgren likes this.