Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Woo is far more physical than everyone on this list. He is also one of the better defensive players on that list. I'm curious to see if he plays in Utica next year. I think he could be huge for us.

He's not eligible to play in Utica next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Woo's had a big year.....but still has another year of junior eligibility to burn off. But what about the WJC? In light of his stats, does he have a shot to make the Canadian team?

Haven't really studied the competition he'll be facing, but the World Juniors is generally considered to be 'a tournament for 19-year olds'. Would cap a very good junior career if he can make it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The conventional wisdom seems to be to keep him in the WHL for another season, but is it that crazy that he could make the big team next year? He has a few things going for him:
- He fills a major organizational need (defensive RHD with good size and physicality)
- He is physically developed with NHL speed and strength
- His defensive game seems very mature for his age
- He may not have much more to learn at the junior level
- He is ineligible to play in the AHL

It would be pretty crazy to have three rookie defensemen on the team, but if he has a good camp and doesn't look out of place, why not give him a longer look? Even if he's a #7, I think there are players that benefit more from practicing with NHL players than from playing against teenagers, and he might be one.

I don't think the Canucks should rush him. Woo is considered advanced defensively at the WHL level but he missed some development time last season and can use more polish and round out his game.

He is physically developed but NHL speed and strength is something else.

Reactions: Phenomenon13

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't think the Canucks should rush him. Woo is considered advanced defensively at the WHL level but he missed some development time last season and can use more polish and round out his game.

He is physically developed but NHL speed and strength is something else.
Absolutely should be sent back to the dub.

Reactions: timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
woo obviously has his work cut out for him to earn a job with the canucks next year and he cannot go anywhere else but europe, so another season in the dub is the safe bet.

worth noting that although he is is still only 18 he is finishing his fourth season and third full season with the moose. pretty sure he is going to be highly motivated to move on, so he might be fun to watch at camp.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd easily rank him ahead of Juolevi. But I do think Juolevi has a decent likelihood to develop into a good middle 6 guy too - health pending of course.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Swift Current is dead-last in the WHL by 6 points, so if MJ wants to stat-pad, tonight would be a good opportunity

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
New signing thread no?
Out of nowhere news, he cant go utica, so junior or NHL, nice!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
He finished the season first in the WHL for power play assists by defencemen.

Does that mean he'll be great on the power play?

Does it mean that his points total for the season is misleading, as his even strength production wasn't that high, and he shouldn't be counted on to produce at the next level?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
PlayerGP GAPDraft ('18)
Ty Smith 57 7 62 69 #17
Calen Addison 66 11 54 65 #53
Jett Woo 621252 64 #37
Egor Zamula 59 10 46 56 Undrafted
Wyatte Wylie 67 11 36 47 #127
Alex Alexeyev 49 10 33 43 #31
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He finished the season first in the WHL for power play assists by defencemen.

Does that mean he'll be great on the power play?

Does it mean that his points total for the season is misleading, as his even strength production wasn't that high, and he shouldn't be counted on to produce at the next level?
We will see

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad