Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Woo projects as a young Luke Schenn at this point in his career with a bit more offensive upside. Schenn wasnt bad in Toronto Tbh. He just never got better.

A young Luke Schenn was also projected to be an elite shutdown Dman. I think the comparisons end because they play in a different era. Schenn was rushed and should have been told to concentrate on his skating and developing his puck skills. Woo is playing at a time where he knows his path to the NHL isn't just about his ability to play a physical defensive game.

With that said, Schenn has played in 729 games. That's more than Pietrangelo and prior to this season, he played more NHL games than Stamkos. At the end of the day, Luke Schenn has had a long NHL career.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A young Luke Schenn was also projected to be an elite shutdown Dman. I think the comparisons end because they play in a different era. Schenn was rushed and should have been told to concentrate on his skating and developing his puck skills. Woo is playing at a time where he knows his path to the NHL isn't just about his ability to play a physical defensive game.

With that said, Schenn has played in 729 games. That's more than Pietrangelo and prior to this season, he played more NHL games than Stamkos. At the end of the day, Luke Schenn has had a long NHL career.

Like you say, Woo is similar to Schenn but skates, and handles the puck a lot better. I think Schenn fights better

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

It’s still a strange comparison. Schenn is a big, lumbering stay at home Dman. Woo is a solid skater and appears to have a versatile game

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s still a strange comparison. Schenn is a big, lumbering stay at home Dman. Woo is a solid skater and appears to have a versatile game

I think Schenn was drafted when the bigger body was valued more too. He didn’t put up points in junior like Woo is doing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

plus schenn was never more than .5 ppg in junior whereas woo is ppg.

i do very slightly agree with fan's point in the sense that woo's stick handling and hockey sense are not on a level where i think he will be an nhl offensive dman (unless he pulls a shea weber). but he could easily be a solid all rounder and grind out decent points.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

i do very slightly agree with fan's point in the sense that woo's stick handling and hockey sense are not on a level where i think he will be an nhl offensive dman (unless he pulls a shea weber). but he could easily be a solid all rounder and grind out decent points.
I think we all hope he can be anunber 4 one day. That would be huge considering our lack of depth on the right side. Top paring is very unlikely

Reactions: lindgren

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Schenn was in the NHL at the age Woo is PPG.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They need to get Woo into some games in Utica, to see where's he's at with bigger and strong pro hockey players. A stint with the Comets would set up him up nicely for training camp in September.

And if Byram is still on the board when the Canucks are drafting this year, the unthinkable might happen. A couple of drafted d-men from the WHL who might actually project into their top-four someday.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
His point still stands I highly doubt woo makes the nhl next season

assuming your prediction is correct, what does that have to do with my original point that woo showed more offence in junior than schenn and is a different style of player? i mean if we are going to randomly compare this 2nd rounder to blown top 5 overall manchild draft picks, let's compare the poor guy to gudbranson while we are at it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
assuming your prediction is correct, what does that have to do with my original point that woo showed more offence in junior than schenn and is a different style of player? i mean if we are going to randomly compare this 2nd rounder to blown top 5 overall manchild draft picks, let's compare the poor guy to gudbranson while we are at it.
I don't really see Luke Schenn as a blown pick. I was just adding context to what you're saying. I don't think Jett Woo will be a major point producer as an NHLer if he becomes one. I think he'll be more of the stay at home variety....I guess like a Hamhuis without the skating ability, but then again, Hamhuis was a top pairing defender at his peak. Not sure Jett gets there.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

I didn't see nor could I find your post that you said they were a different style of player.

You're being ridiculous. Schenn has had a very lengthy career in the NHL and ranks 4th in games played for the 2008 draft. If Woo manages to have a similar career to Schenn, I don't see how you can't say that is a huge win for a 2nd round pick.

During their draft years, Woo scored 25 points in 44 games (~0.57ppg) and Schenn scored 28 points in 57 games (~0.49ppg). Their scoring is fairly comparable for their respective draft years. Woo showed more offensive numbers in their draft years but everyone thought at the time Schenn had more offense to give if he was given the development time. At the time of the 2008 draft, people were comparing Schenn to Shea Weber. Schenn was rushed to the NHL and never was given proper development which was mentioned in the original post by icebreakers. Both Woo and Schenn going into their draft were projected as defensive defenseman in the NHL. Obviously, the modern era has evolved and the modern defensive defenseman are required to have better puck skills. However, in terms of Woo's projected role on the team, it's not as bad of a comparison as you make it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I didn't see nor could I find your post that you said they were a different style of player.

you didn't read the post by donny knucker i quoted and was agreeing with and adding to in that first post you did quote? do you have donnyknucker on ignore?

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
While not worrying about comparisons, Woo had a very encouraging season to becoming and NHL defensemen. He had a better season that I expected but one that was needed to be seen as a legit prospect. Seems like he has the skill set to be not restricted by the type of D partner to succeed. Was meh at the time of the draft to happy to have a RS defensemen prospect like him in the mix.

Just goes to shows the importance of have extra top 93 picks can do. Sometimes you get a Lind/Gadjovich, sometimes you get a Woo. Not to say that Woo is guarantee, far from it, but is doing what is necessary to date to take the next step.

Hoping he gets a few games with the Comets!

Reactions: Luckylarry

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Absolutely not. Schenn shouldn’t have made it when he did either
That's some revisionist history. There was definitely a respectable argument for keeping Schenn past his initial 9 game tryout during the 2008-09 season. He looked great as a rookie and ended the year 1st in sh Toi, 4th in TOI/GP and 3rd in total TOI. He was not sheltered much as a rookie.

You can read more about that debate in 2008 here.
Point/Counterpoint: Luke Schenn

you didn't read the post by donny knucker i quoted and was agreeing with and adding to in that first post you did quote? do you have donnyknucker on ignore?

Not at all, I don't have anyone on ignore. I must've glanced past it. Did you see the rest of my post regarding the merits of the comparison?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He finished the season first in the WHL for power play assists by defencemen.

Does that mean he'll be great on the power play?

Does it mean that his points total for the season is misleading, as his even strength production wasn't that high, and he shouldn't be counted on to produce at the next level?

PP production is the most reliable indication of Dman's offensive production.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
PP production is the most reliable indication of Dman's offensive production.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean that PP production is a more reliable predictor of even strength production than even strength production is? I'd say that's ... counter-intuitive.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->