Prospect Info: #36OA - Hurricanes Select G Pyotr Kochetkov

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So what do we think, can Kochetkov meaningfully push for the backup job next year? I feel like strategically with 1 year left for both Andersen and Raanta if you've got a 22 year old who has dominated at every level you at least need to keep that possibility open.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So what do we think, can Kochetkov meaningfully push for the backup job next year? I feel like strategically with 1 year left for both Andersen and Raanta if you've got a 22 year old who has dominated at every level you at least need to keep that possibility open.
I feel like he gets priority in Chicago next season, with him and Mak having the shot to take a spot after Raanta or Freddie leave

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It'll be really interesting to see how it plays out. Before the Ukraine situation I figured he'd go back to the K next year but now I'm not so sure. I think he'll be ready to be a backup or 1b in the NHL but we do have 2 strong goalies under contract next season. Could trade Raanta maybe but I think it's more likely he doesn't get much NHL time next year. Will either go back to the K or be the main guy in Chicago for 1 year.

Reactions: Tryamw and timw33

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I feel like he gets priority in Chicago next season, with him and Mak having the shot to take a spot after Raanta or Freddie leave
Yep, honestly half-way expecting us to let Lyon walk this off-season and then having Pyotr and Eetu splitting time in Chicago, with Pyotr probably getting about half a dozen games in for the Canes.

Warm and LaFontaine splitting time in the ECHL.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
A lot of people were expecting Raanta to be ded a good portion of this season, and he's not going to get any younger. And this season the Canes found themselves in a position where they needed to poach a G off his university team due to injuries, so I expect they'll err on the cautious side w.r.t. goalie depth next season. I certainly don't see The Borg letting Raanta go, but I expect that there will still be natural opportunity for Kochetkov to get enough NHL games to further his development.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

MAKINIEMI I thought was also a potential big club Goalie.​

He’s been injured but what’s the current view re: him?​

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington

MAKINIEMI I thought was also a potential big club Goalie.​

He’s been injured but what’s the current view re: him?​

Chicago is good but Makiniemi was outplaying Lyon when it was just the two of them.

1647213247521.png

The real question is when do we sign Mannella?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not a huge fan of how we’re handling goalie prospects, IMO. As some girl once told me, you need to see as much rubber as possible to be good. Even if it’s the ECHL against the Nailers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad